Diopter & Spectacles


Status
Not open for further replies.

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
8,606
26
48
Melbourne
#1
Just wondering if I have been doing something wrong all these years ( hah! and blame all my Out-Of-Focus pics on this ... ).

How would one use the diopter adjustment on a camera's viewfinder if you are a spectacle-wearer?

1. Set diopter adjustment to neutral?
2. Adjust diopter setting to compensate for eyes?

Am I missing something here?
 

SNAG

Senior Member
Jun 14, 2002
1,644
0
36
33
Visit site
#2
Originally posted by Darren
Just wondering if I have been doing something wrong all these years ( hah! and blame all my Out-Of-Focus pics on this ... ).

How would one use the diopter adjustment on a camera's viewfinder if you are a spectacle-wearer?

1. Set diopter adjustment to neutral?
2. Adjust diopter setting to compensate for eyes?

Am I missing something here?
I'm not sure about the accuracy of this info...
But you should actually adjust to neutral, as by wearing glasses, your eyesight should be corrected, unless you are still wearing glasses made 10 years ago/your eyesight has detoriated.

One method that I read in a book..
Take out the lens and just look at the info display alone.
Then by looking at the clarity of the info display, adjust your diopter thingy until you get the wordings + numbers to be clear... Done.

EDIT: You could also do this with a lens attached, but it kinda distracts and influences your perception of clarity, as you will tend to look at the clarity of the image, and not the info display...
 

Barrios

Senior Member
May 19, 2002
715
0
16
57
Visit site
#3
I did a test at Canon Sg when I went there to purchase a Dioptric adjustment lens attachment for my EOS 3 few weeks ago. They asked me to look into the viewfinder of a camera (without the lens on) using various diopters and select the one that gave me the sharpest and clearest view of the LINES ON THE FOCUSSING SCREEN. I ended up getting a -4 dioptric lens attachment.
 

Kho King

Senior Member
Jan 20, 2002
2,513
0
0
41
shashinki.com
#4
I set the diopter of my camera to -1, with my glasses on.

I know this works for me by manual focus, then check with the focus assistant in the viewfinder.
 

Darren

ClubSNAP Admin
Staff member
Jan 16, 2002
8,606
26
48
Melbourne
#5
Originally posted by Kho King
I set the diopter of my camera to -1, with my glasses on.

I know this works for me by manual focus, then check with the focus assistant in the viewfinder.
so, this is what i am slightly unsure of - if your specs already correct your vision, why do we need to set diopter on the camera?

I probably need to go home and try out various settings to see if the legibility of the focusing screen and LCD readout is improved by trying +/- diopter settings.

:dunno:
 

Kho King

Senior Member
Jan 20, 2002
2,513
0
0
41
shashinki.com
#6
Originally posted by Darren
so, this is what i am slightly unsure of - if your specs already correct your vision, why do we need to set diopter on the camera?

I probably need to go home and try out various settings to see if the legibility of the focusing screen and LCD readout is improved by trying +/- diopter settings.

:dunno:
I think I have my eyesight increase already (viewing computer monitor too much...)... :cry:

(I checked my eyesight few weeks ago...and yes, it shows that I am increased by another 100+-).
 

YSLee

Senior Member
Jan 17, 2002
2,326
1
38
Visit site
#7
Originally posted by Darren
so, this is what i am slightly unsure of - if your specs already correct your vision, why do we need to set diopter on the camera?
That's because it's for people who need to have their vision corrected, ie not you.
 

ninelives

Senior Member
Jan 16, 2002
3,247
3
38
BB
ninelives.clubsnap.org
#8
I notice that the angle you look into your viewfinder or the position you place your eye is very important. For example if I set to 0 and look at the viewfinder slightly above, the subject or the indicator on the viewfinder in blur. If I set to -1 , the subject or indicator is sharp. If I place my eye directly at the center, the subject or indicator is blur again. I have to set the diopter back to 0 .

I am not wearing spec btw.

Does this help?
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom