Dinner Photography

Status
Not open for further replies.

LazerLordz

Sep 8, 2004
near the Equator
Okay,

I'll be covering my camp dinner sometime soon, and I need some tips on how to get the best out of my camera for this occasion.External flash is out of the question, as I'm only using a Fuji S5000Z.I'm prepared to lug my tripod around the ballroom if need be.Should I use my internal flash with a slow shutter speed or leave it out?Thanks a lot.

Tripod? Forget it. It just won't work the way you intend to.

An external speedlight is your best bet. Else just use an internal popup built in flash will do.

espn said:
Tripod? Forget it. It just won't work the way you intend to.

An external speedlight is your best bet. Else just use an internal popup built in flash will do.

Which external speedlight would be the best?

I have no idea if Fuji has their own, but if you're looking at flash, probably just a normal one like the achiever would do, one that is just manual, or the mecablitz series.

The vivitar will be too heavy for your camera I guess.

Urm Fuji 5000 doesn't have a hot shoe? IIRC it does. A bracket only holds the flash, you will still need to either set the flash to slave mode and trigger with the internal flash or use cables to sync from the hot shoe to the flash.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/FujifilmS5000/Images/specsview.jpg
Clubsnap does not allow image hotlink to other site. The image has converted to link.

Nope.Only the S7000Z has a hotshoe.Looks like I might need to use the sensing function to fire off as my internal flash fires off.But it'll be pretty tough carrying two things around.

Ah my bad!

Then I suggest you stick with internal flash will suffice.

Hmm, I might test out my slow syncro mode.Effective range for 6m should not be a problem.Thanks man.

Slow shutter will resolve in lots of motion blur, might want to avoid that unless it's a stationary scene. Sorry can't help.

Yeah thats the beef.Well, il bring my tripod anyway, for those typical opening address thingy, before chucking it and go light with a fast shutter.The internal flash seems quite alright, worst case, do more PS.:) Really thanks a lot for your advice.Btw, where's the cheapest place to get a speedlight? :)

I think you can try TCW for those 3rd party speedlights, Not too sure if CP carries any stock of it.

Yep, wide angles would be good. :) It'd give you more coverage for table shots if necessary, else you can do without it :)

use your tripod as a monopod and you can gain some stability

if your cam can do rear curtain sync it would be better for slow sync.

LazerLordz said:
Okay,

I'll be covering my camp dinner sometime soon, and I need some tips on how to get the best out of my camera for this occasion.External flash is out of the question, as I'm only using a Fuji S5000Z.I'm prepared to lug my tripod around the ballroom if need be.Should I use my internal flash with a slow shutter speed or leave it out?Thanks a lot.
You can try to use a slave flash to assist you to get better exposure. See my A70 shots in low lighting ;)

ortega said:
use your tripod as a monopod and you can gain some stability

if your cam can do rear curtain sync it would be better for slow sync.

My flash has a slow sync function but i have no hotshoe.. :( no time to borrow a slave bracket either.

megaweb said:
You can try to use a slave flash to assist you to get better exposure. See my A70 shots in low lighting ;)

Woooh.. :bigeyes: Those pictures of the Chingay 2005 are simply amazing.
If I know can get so close, I rather go Toa Payoh take rather than fighting with the crowd at Orchard ...haha :bsmilie:
Drop by at your gallery. I love your macro shots especially. The color and sharpness... is really a treat to my eyes.

Can someone enlighten me what is a "slave flash" ??

Slave flash is a flash that detects your built-in flash firing off, then it fires off too.

LazerLordz said:
Slave flash is a flash that detects your built-in flash firing off, then it fires off too.

ic... So a Slave flash is a kind of flash with some sort of light sensor to detect your camera flash and then it follows. Thanks ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.