Dinner and dance shoot... what should i bring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wurdelak

Apr 7, 2009
westcoast
www.flickr.com
hi all, recently, i was tasked to shoot our company dinner and dance... i don't think i am ready for this, but having no choice... i have to do it! i am using a nikon D5000, my only lenses are the tamron 18-270mm and the tamron 90mm macro, SB400 flash, and a tripod... should these equipments be sufficient enough to cover the event? :think:

This should be a good Guide for you!:)

My friend i assume u are also enjoying the dinner rite? my advice is to enjoy the food and drink, take as little pics as u can.
If u shooting merely for free.yr equipment is more than enough for them, u shouldn't worry what u can do for them, instead they should be grateful.
u dun need a D3 or sb900 to take good pics

good advice... i have the rights to enjoy the event as well... hehe! right on... then, i'd just bring my cam, 18-270mm lens and the sb400 flash! thanks!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Use this opotunity to gain some experience. You dont have to shoot nice images because if you do, you will be stuck with this "Free Photographer" job. Also remember that yr company will not pay for any damage to your camera. They also wont pay for servicing. Worst is if some thieves eyes your camera. Just becareful and enjoy your D&D. Also a chance for you to get close to the girls....;p

:bigeyes::bigeyes: if want closer then i take back my words, pls bring the 90mm tamron too :bsmilie:

PHAIL!

Use a reversed 24mm FTB! :bsmilie:

hi all, recently, i was tasked to shoot our company dinner and dance... i don't think i am ready for this, but having no choice... i have to do it! i am using a nikon D5000, my only lenses are the tamron 18-270mm and the tamron 90mm macro, SB400 flash, and a tripod... should these equipments be sufficient enough to cover the event? :think:

not really? don't take up the task.

no choice? shoot what they wanted and what they like. :)

OK, seriously.

Sounds like you're not at all happy with this arrangement and I don;t blame you! Who wants to be forced to do something they don't want to do?

What I am about to share is deep trade secrets culled from decades of experience from the world's best! Memorize it and apply it well.

1) Use shutter speeds of more than 3 seconds, or more than 1/500 and switch off any high speed sync function. If you're an existing light fanatic, rip out the headlights and battery from a manager's car and carry that along all night. Be sure to point directly into subjects eyes. The contracted iris' look great in photos and the girls especially will love you!

2) Switch OFF the AF on your lens and take out the focusing screen from your camera.

3) CUT OFF people's heads as much as possible. Take LOTS of photos of out-of-focus feet. You might discover a few colleagues with err ...certain 'preferences' along the way. Store evidence and intel for career upgrading ... or self-preservation.

4) BRING your tripod and use it for ALL the shots, especially at the VVIP table/presentations and anywhere when a photographer is supposed to be fast and furious.

5) Be humble. Don't be afraid to ask anyone ... everyone, even the bus-boy where to insert the film. Such humbleness and the willingness to seek information makes a great impact, especially in front of upper management!

6) Set your lens to 270mm and gaffer it down. Shoot like that all night.

7) Ask for a 15-foot ladder and 2 assistants. Use the ladder as much as possible, say that it offers much better angles. This also ties in with Point #6.

All the best!

OK, seriously.

Sounds like you're not at all happy with this arrangement and I don;t blame you! Who wants to be forced to do something they don't want to do?

What I am about to share is deep trade secrets culled from decades of experience from the world's best! Memorize it and apply it well.

1) Use shutter speeds of more than 3 seconds, or more than 1/500 and switch off any high speed sync function. If you're an existing light fanatic, rip out the headlights and battery from a manager's car and carry that along all night. Be sure to point directly into subjects eyes. The contracted iris' look great in photos and the girls especially will love you!

2) Switch OFF the AF on your lens and take out the focusing screen from your camera.

3) CUT OFF people's heads as much as possible. Take LOTS of photos of out-of-focus feet. You might discover a few colleagues with err ...certain 'preferences' along the way. Store evidence and intel for career upgrading ... or self-preservation.

4) BRING your tripod and use it for ALL the shots, especially at the VVIP table/presentations and anywhere when a photographer is supposed to be fast and furious.

5) Be humble. Don't be afraid to ask anyone ... everyone, even the bus-boy where to insert the film. Such humbleness and the willingness to seek information makes a great impact, especially in front of upper management!

6) Set your lens to 270mm and gaffer it down. Shoot like that all night.

7) Ask for a 15-foot ladder and 2 assistants. Use the ladder as much as possible, say that it offers much better angles. This also ties in with Point #6.

All the best!

:sweat::sweat:

haha! this is becoming a fun discussion... love it! i appreciate every advice and fun suggestions from bros here! thank you very much... i'm kinda nervous though... this is gonna be the first time that i'd do this. i'll grab this upportunity to learn and add up to my photography experience! but seriously... should i consider getting a diffuser for my flash? and how do i angle my flash(i just bought my flash a week ago, and it's for taking indoor flower shots, so i don't have any idea how to use it for people shoot)? thanks again!

:sweat::sweat:

Yeah ... :sweat: :sweat: manz ... sharing all those trade secrets!

:bsmilie:

Aiyah TS, if you seriously want to try to produce decent shots, just use you super zoom lens, use a flash with an easy to use diffuser (have to search and learn more lah) and just use A or P all night. Be sure to have the external AF Assist light switched on - it would come in handy during the dim passages you're about to go through (especially if your shots turn out good and the bosses like the photos).

This stikiee is very detailed, but dunno whether it's more helpful for you to dive into so much details right now, but here goes anyways ... http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556174

Yeah ... :sweat: :sweat: manz ... sharing all those trade secrets!

:bsmilie:

Aiyah TS, if you seriously want to try to produce decent shots, just use you super zoom lens, use a flash with an easy to use diffuser (have to search and learn more lah) and just use A or P all night. Be sure to have the external AF Assist light switched on - it would come in handy during the dim passages you're about to go through (especially if your shots turn out good and the bosses like the photos).

This stikiee is very detailed, but dunno whether it's more helpful for you to dive into so much details right now, but here goes anyways ... http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=556174

thanks for sharing bro!

Something just came to mind about diffusers ...

Quite a few diffusers requires some degree of skill/understanding to use effectively, so I would not suggest those.

You could try a Lembency (Gary Fong Lightsphere knock-off) diffuser which you out on and just use with the flash head pointed straight-up. Hehehe ... look for the youtube GF tutorials on how to use it for say portrait orientation.

Or a cheap Stofen knock off. I think you can get both these diffusers at OP, but if you get it online, it's probably much cheaper (at least it used to be when I got mine).

The stofen is effective only when there is a low ceiling to bounce off (it's used at 45 degrees) and the Lembency only when there are walls around you. Both diffusers will lower the efficiency of your flash quite abit, so pump up the ISO.

IF you REALLY want to make an impact, you could try this diffuser - http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/discuss/72157603251265338/

Don't forget extra sets of fully charged batts and spare memory cards.

Something just came to mind about diffusers ...

Quite a few diffusers requires some degree of skill/understanding to use effectively, so I would not suggest those.

You could try a Lembency (Gary Fong Lightsphere knock-off) diffuser which you out on and just use with the flash head pointed straight-up. Hehehe ... look for the youtube GF tutorials on how to use it for say portrait orientation.

Or a cheap Stofen knock off. I think you can get both these diffusers at OP, but if you get it online, it's probably much cheaper (at least it used to be when I got mine).

The stofen is effective only when there is a low ceiling to bounce off (it's used at 45 degrees) and the Lembency only when there are walls around you. Both diffusers will lower the efficiency of your flash quite abit, so pump up the ISO.

IF you REALLY want to make an impact, you could try this diffuser - http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/discuss/72157603251265338/

Don't forget extra sets of fully charged batts and spare memory cards.

HAHAHA! i love the schlongsphere!!! nice man!!!:bsmilie::bsmilie: i'd be trying these diffusers you've suggested this coming monday(my off day) thank you very much for extra infos as well!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Have FUN and thank you for making sharing such a nice experience.

will update you guys bout the outcome of this task... thank you very much, i really appreciate your advice and suggestions, and for the jokes which made my nervousness loosen up!:thumbsup:

bring along a pro and charge to the company

Bro,
Just bring your cam with the 18-270 and flash and have FUN.
This is a chance to get to know more pretty girls.
I have done a few D&D shoot for my company, enjoyed every one of them.
Try to get some nice shoots of the bosses, managers and pretty girls, soon you will become
very popular, your pictures all over facebook.........:bsmilie:
Just have to watch the WB,
Don't for get to bring extra batteries and CF card.
Have fun

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.