Dimension of 4r prints

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catpuke

Jun 26, 2004
Anyone know if the exact ratio of 4r print is 3:2?

Coz i cropped my photos to 3:2 and sent for printing. But it came back with some of the background cropped off even further; part of the head of a statue got chopped. :(

erm... so when I give my prints to the shop in 3:2 ratio, no part of the photo should be further cropped off rite?

But the print outs had some parts cropped off. The shop's fault?

Catpuke said:
OPen your jpgs again and see if they are really 3:2. If so, then the shop SUCKS.

Catpuke said:
erm... so when I give my prints to the shop in 3:2 ratio, no part of the photo should be further cropped off rite?

I could be wrong, but from my experience, most of the Point and shoot digicams are having the ration of 4:3 not 3:2. Some cam can select 3:2 ratio and you will see some black line at the top and bottom when viewing the shots on LCD. DSLR is having ratio of 3:2.

The ratio for 4R is 2:3, thats correct. However, some neberhood print shops will chop off your print a bit here and a bit there, you do not always get 100% from the 2:3 file.
Last time I heard, every morning when the print shop starts their machine, they need to do some machine alignment so the prints are supposed to be in line.
Some of the CS members here are actually print shop owners/staffs so they may be able to explain better.

poh6702 said:
I could be wrong, but from my experience, most of the Point and shoot digicams are having the ration of 4:3 not 3:2. Some cam can select 3:2 ratio and you will see some black line at the top and bottom when viewing the shots on LCD. DSLR is having ratio of 3:2.

U sure DSLR is 3:2? I thought all digicams are not 3:2. I sent my pictures for printing and end up cropped slightly....

cropping will occur slightly,maybe 1-2% even for 3:2 image for most machines.
All of the DSLR i heard of are in 3:2 ratio,

Ah Pao said:
Less the Olympus E1...
Oh yah, it is called 4:3 system. ;p

Thanks for all the replies. Yea, my cam can only take 4:3. Thats why I cropped them to 3:2 before sending to the shop to print. I cropped them myself coz I was worried they will anyhow crop.

After all that trouble, they still anyhow crop. They crop off the top of photo (i.e the statue's head) and left the bottom (the floor) untouched. Its alrite if I dun want to be fussy la. Just abit unhappy that after all the cropping on my own I still get this kind of print outs. Sigh...

Catpuke said:
Thanks for all the replies. Yea, my cam can only take 4:3. Thats why I cropped them to 3:2 before sending to the shop to print. I cropped them myself coz I was worried they will anyhow crop.

After all that trouble, they still anyhow crop. They crop off the top of photo (i.e the statue's head) and left the bottom (the floor) untouched. Its alrite if I dun want to be fussy la. Just abit unhappy that after all the cropping on my own I still get this kind of print outs. Sigh...
Best way, print by yourself! :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.