Dimage X or Dimage s304?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninelives

Jan 16, 2002
BB
ninelives.clubsnap.org
I am still considering to getting either of them. Erm...just to put inside my pocket. Kinda treat it like P&S camera. Coz sometime we on the road, we might find something with us and won't it be cool if we got a camera in our pocket and hurry take it out and shoot?

Originally posted by ninelives
I am still considering to getting either of them. Erm...just to put inside my pocket. Kinda treat it like P&S camera. Coz sometime we on the road, we might find something with us and won't it be cool if we got a camera in our pocket and hurry take it out and shoot?
Buy buy buy!

Get the X.....

get the coming soon 7i :D

buy3.gif

s304 lor...
X is over-priced I think, it's a PnS with a weird shape. Somemore image quality is inferior to that of s304, and it uses SD card!

just my opinion lah...I think X is more of a "niche" thing than a practical one..:)

How much is the s304 in the first place?

sony is having its 3.3MP cam @ 700++ also

Personally, after seeing all those S304 works on dpreview... It's a real good camera and I believe its on par with its bigger brothers 5 and 7 except for the zoom capability. But, I dunnoe does 304 uses a wide gamut like the 5 and 7. These requires some learning and tweaking to achieve optimum colour on web (which I believe is sRGB?)

I realise there is some problem with the S304. See the image and if anyone can explain why this happen, please post and enlighten me. Thanks. The light seems to be overlapping the hand

hand.gif

some ultra bad point about Minolta in my opinion.

while I was deciding on digital camera to get.

1. capture in its own colour space, need to convert to RGB when you load the file into your PC, else the colour will not look good. (troublesome)

2. has got manual settings and Aperture Priority, but NO shutter priority. strange?

3. accept CF but only CF type 1 and not type 2

4. lens is quite slow F3.0-3.6 if I don't remember wrongly.

Originally posted by fcpga

1. capture in its own colour space, need to convert to RGB when you load the file into your PC, else the colour will not look good. (troublesome)

2. has got manual settings and Aperture Priority, but NO shutter priority. strange?

1. not look good meh? most of my pics...dun need to convert one...*scratch head, wondering*

2. shutter priority for D5 gottt...dunno about S304

3. wat's de diff? i dunno for this one...hehe

4. err...? :D

Originally posted by fcpga

1. This wide gamut colour space is a luxuary... Only professional or top line models offers these. sRGB is too limited, this had been said all over the industry... Being the standard doesn't means its good.

2. D5 has all that. But for the S304, though it sounds bad, but I don't think its all that bad... Its not like that you have f 1.6 all the way to f22.... You can easily change the aperture to obtain the shutter speed required...

3. yes yes... that's the limitation on 304...No microdrive for the 304. But with 3.3 megapix and low prices of 128mb CF... you think u need a 1gig Microdrive?? Lets be practical... You will get those image tank instead of a 1 gig microdrive if u are considering this camera... Its a few hundred cheaper and not much of a hassel.

4. Limitation on the 304... I agree with u...

Well, I believe 304 was designed with p&S in mind, so if one is thinking of more SLR functions, they have the Dimage 5, 7 and 7i to suit you (7i~ Its going to be the fastest autofocusing fixed lens digital camera with 3x and up optical zoom if their claims are true...)

I'm thinking of getting the S304, but I've heard several comments about its poor battery life. Surprisingly, it hasn't been mentioned here. Anyone who owns the S304 care to comment? Thanks.

come on, people... if every digital camera had every feature everyone wanted, there would be no market segmentation. Obviously the X is catered for those who basically want a stylish compact, but basic P&S while the S304 is for slightly more serious users, but still nowhere near the adventurous ones using a D5 or D7.

you'll have to be clear on what you intend to do with your purchase. If it's for showing off and taking the occasional party photo, the X will do fine, otherwise you should consider the S304 if your budget doesn't go up to where the D5 belongs.

Check the Canon Singapore site - they have a very well organized digicam section, with different consumer markets. That should give you a feel of what to expect and not between the X and S304

bottom line is, you get what you pay for

Status
Not open for further replies.