Dilemma: To buy from SITEX or not and which DSLT/R

MachCurve

Oct 26, 2011
Hi all, with SITEX here, I am quite in a dilemma as to whether it is apt to buy a DSLT/R from SITEX or a separate shop.

Basically, I'm looking at the A55. No price was mentioned, but I understand that Sony is offering freebies like 2x8GB SD; dry box; tripod; screen protector; bag...

Can anyone advise as to whether these freebies are worth the while? Or can I expect better freebies from other shops?

Also, I am a little torn between deciding on A35 vs A55 vs A65. From what I gather, Canikon DSLRs are out when compared with the aforementioned cameras (for A55 and A65) - just to confirm, in terms of features and performance. I'd think that it's more between the A55 and A65. After looking through some of the specs, I understand that the A55's battery performance pales in comparison to A65 - wondering if any one with an A55 can affirm this? Then again, the A65 is more expensive than the A55, so again, it makes me wonder whether the additional $ is worth the while. Read some reviews and it is said that the A65 has better sensors too? How significant are the differences in performance for a newbie like myself?

Oh and I received a quote in another forum for the A65 (a shop apparently):

"We are now selling the Sony A65 kit at only $1249 with 8gb Sony High Speed Memory Stick and Sony Case. You can also get extra Screen Protector, Cleaning Kit, Tripod and UV Protection Lens Filter at only $40. We only have limited stocks for this model. Do let me know soon if you are interested"

- Brochures -

Sony%20Digital%20Cameras%20NEX-5N%2C%20a55%20DSLR%2C%20Digital%20Photo%20Frame%20DPF-A710%2C%20DPF-D830.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW, I'll get from a recommended shop. Reason: stated in many of the other similar threads.

And also, the service you get at the IT fair sucks. They get all the temp staff who basically have no knowledge over these kind of things.

Is Sony selling the stuff directly and does that mean the NEX-5n comes with an original 2nd battery?

Is Sony selling the stuff directly and does that mean the NEX-5n comes with an original 2nd battery?

i believe so for the battery.

and no. usually shows are helmed by other dealers.

and you're OT

Search the forum for Sitex, Comex and whatever they are named .. read, read, read .. If you die die must go for mass cuddling and aunty / uncle hugging there at least do the homework before you go.

Just wondering, will I need a UV filter for an A55? What are the accessories needed?

Just wondering, will I need a UV filter for an A55? What are the accessories needed?

Normally, filters are used by pple to protect the front element of the lens, but some believe in using lens hood instead. So it's up to you if you want to get it. Please also note that low grade filters tends to introduce more flare when shooting against bright source..

What are the accessories needed:
The die die must buy: Extra Battery, Dry Cabinet, blower, microfiber or lenspen
Optional:
- Tripod (until you find a need for it, then get it..seen people who buy and leave at home)
- Other type of filters (NDs, GNDs, CPL)

MachCurve said:

UV filter. Nota must but always good to have one for lens protection but make sure it's a quality filter, Hoya HMC HD, B&W or similar.

Other accessories needed - an extra battery (esp for A55), dry cabinet (get something larger than the smallest, 50L or 60L). You'll prob get a free tripod, should suffice for the immediate.

Others, none for now. Wait until you figure out what else you want to do with the camera than take family and holiday pics.

Thanks for the reply :) UV Filter is for protecting the lens right? How much is one normally? And do I have to replace an old one with a new one every few years?

What about the camera body? Don't need anything to protect, say the mirror in the DSLT?

Thanks for the reply :) UV Filter is for protecting the lens right? How much is one normally? And do I have to replace an old one with a new one every few years?

What about the camera body? Don't need anything to protect, say the mirror in the DSLT?

About 10-20 SGD. Look at the FILTERS PRICEGUIDE. No, you don't need to replace unless it's damaged. For the body, just don't touch the SLT mirror with your bare finger.

Just get from SLR Revo, MS Color, etc. No point going to those useless Sitex/Comex/PC Show/IT Show to but a camera, as it's a generic IT show, NOT a photography show.

For maximum protection just never unpack the camera, leave it at home in a wardrobe, cupboard.. For normal usage by Tom, Dick and Harry in the city and during their family holidays the camera is well designed and prepared. Additional protection is only required if you go to areas with rough conditions: flying sand, splashing water and mud and other stuffs.
Personally, I don't use filters at all. Cheap ones are crap anyway and under certain conditions even the expensive once are not helpful anymore (read about filter flare, ghosting). Get a lens hood, learn to be careful, done.

2pointEIGHT said:
And also, the service you get at the IT fair sucks. They get all the temp staff who basically have no knowledge over these kind of things.

Agree. No idea of what they are selling. If you try some shops at funan youll get the same deals minus the BIG CROWD

Don't rush don't rush. Do your research first.

Rushing never did anyone any good. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
this Sitex got very poor DSLR promotion.

Thanks all for the responses. Btw, how long do I need to charge a new A55 battery for?