[Dilemma] Rent a DSLR/Buy Second Hand/Find shops that allow installments?

86proshooter

Jun 4, 2012
Jurong West
Really need some advice since I'm considering whether should I rent a DSLR or buy Second Hand or find shops that allow installments
for this weekend photoshoot.
Budget is around $300-$400 currently so hope to get some advice.
Kindly also enlighten me whether is there any shop that allow installments using Debit cards or cash since I
don't have a true credit card.

I don't think you can do installments most of the time unless you have a credit card.

Courts may allow this but you need proof of a salary, and you are probably going to pay a lot of interest on that.. See here: Courts Singapore Webstore - Great value, smart choices for your home

My advice is to live within your means. If you cannot afford a new DSLR upfront, then save, rent or get a second hand DSLR.

For rental, can try Camera Rental Centre: Camera Rental Centre

At $300-$400, you can pick up old entry level DSLRs from an older era (e.g. Canon 400D, Pentax K100D, Pentax K-m, etc)... Look in the BnS section, it should come paired with kit lens.. I'm not even sure if that will suffice, cos there is no head or tail given about what the weekend photoshoot involves.

with your budget...

i think you can spent 1/3 of 1/4 of it to rent the latest DSLR and lens you need for the photo shoot to keep yourself happy. then save up the rest and wait till you have saved enough then decide you if need to buy a DSLR + lens.

Reason for saying, if you are going to pick up an older era DLSR + kit lens, you will face more dilema whether you should upgrade later on.

if you are a working adult and have an annual salary of $30K. You can apply term loans or apply for a credit card to make installment payments.

Last edited:
Thanks for the all the advice so this weekend I will be calling Camerarental store to rent a body and lens for this weekend shoot.