Dilemma on What to Bring.

zekk67

Nov 30, 2008
Singapore, Singapore
I am going to Eastern Europe in a month's time, a tour to a few countries (Germany, Poland, Czech, Hungary and Austria). I can't do anything about the places I visit. The problem I am having now is that being a photography and camera enthusiast, I have quite a fair number of cameras to choose from. However, although I know the 'old' saying about the best camera is the one I have with me. Seeing that each camera that I own has its advantages, I don't want to end up having to say "the best camera is the one I left at home".

That being said, I have narrowed down to 6 cameras:
1. Canon EOS 6D 24-105 f4 and 50f1.4
2. Canon EOS 40D 18-200
3. Fuji X100S
4. Panasonic Lumix FZ200
5. Sony RX100II
6. Panasonic Lumix LX7
Can anyone who have been to the above countries advise on which 2 cameras I should bring? Well, anyone can help, so please help me decide.

Well - all the cameras you've listed there are fairly decent, and all of them can take great photographs. I guess it'll come down to how much weight you're willing to carry.

I've personally been to all 5 countries you've listed, and they've all got scenery that varies depending on where specifically you visit. For example, are you going to mainly be in cities, or in the countryside? Do you plan on hiking or other outdoor activities? How are you getting around while you're there (car, coach, train, public transport...)? What sort of photographer are you? Maybe a bit more detail here might help.

I would suggest that you take one DSLR and one compact camera, with my personal preference being for the 6D and the Sony RX100II, although actually, any of the compacts would work too. The reason for this would be that even if I'm carrying a tripod (are you planning on bringing one?), I know that I will still greatly appreciate the much better ISO of fullframe as there are places where tripods can't go. The compact to me will act as a backup, and for casual snaps along the way.

Option 1 will be the best. There are a lot of old buildings, narrow streets, church which you will need wide angle lens, and able to take under low light in the old buildings.

Bring just one camera so you don't have the trouble of switching cameras or deciding which to bring/use. Just keep one with you always.

I'll go for LX7 only. Been there using it during my whole trip to San Diego. Extremely compact and very usable on low light (thanks for F1.4). And don't forget the in-camera effect they have inside. Cheers! :)

I am going to Eastern Europe in a month's time, a tour to a few countries (Germany, Poland, Czech, Hungary and Austria). I can't do anything about the places I visit. The problem I am having now is that being a photography and camera enthusiast, I have quite a fair number of cameras to choose from. However, although I know the 'old' saying about the best camera is the one I have with me. Seeing that each camera that I own has its advantages, I don't want to end up having to say "the best camera is the one I left at home".

That being said, I have narrowed down to 6 cameras:
1. Canon EOS 6D 24-105 f4 and 50f1.4
2. Canon EOS 40D 18-200
3. Fuji X100S
4. Panasonic Lumix FZ200
5. Sony RX100II
6. Panasonic Lumix LX7
Can anyone who have been to the above countries advise on which 2 cameras I should bring? Well, anyone can help, so please help me decide.

I haven't been to the countries that you've listed but I travel quite abit, so i'd like to share my own experience and gear that I like to bring.

on my last trip to indonesia in late october 2013, I bought the following:

1. Canon 6D with Tamron 28-75mm f2.8
- i also have the the 24-105 f4 and 50f1.4 but decide to on the tamron for the f2.8
- also didn't bring the 50mm because I didn't want to change lenses

2. Fuji X100
- for situations that I want to be more discreet when taking photos of street people
- also when in situations that i will only be out for a short period of time or don't want to carry too much gear (like going downstairs for breakfast or near hotel for dinner and massage)

3. Panasonic Lumix LX7
- for family snapshots (this camera is for my wife or other people to help take snapshot/group shots of my family)

In the past, I carry a few lenses and find myself not using all of them as it's not convenient to change lens in some situations. Being burdened by the weight of all the gear is also quite bothersome.

I am leaning towards having my 6d, fuji x100s and the RX100II as backup. However, I do not know if there are certain locations that we can only watch from a distance. If so, none of the three is going to cut it. Many times when I go on tours (to China or Taiwan), there are always attractions which are not accessible at that time and I can only view from afar. If so, I would want to have the Fz200.

[6D + 24-105zoom]
Don't bother to bring the 50mm as it is in the same range as 24-105, although the 50mm has 1.4 aperture. You do not want to constantly change lenses. When you visit these far away places, the 6D is useful for its GPS function to record the location so that later on when you are back home you can geotag your photos.
[Fuji X100S]
Small and unobtrusive. People don't get turned off with a big DSLR and big lens in their faces. Good for street shots. Built-in Optical + electronic viewfinders.

Last edited: