Dilemma of lens to start off with

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morozov

Jan 9, 2009
Hi guys, I am going to buy a 50D and I was thinking which lens to start off with? I definitely don't want the 18-55 lens so I guess I am going for either the 17-85mm USM IS or the 18-200mm IS. Thanks!

if you are confirmed on canon, maybe checking out on canon subforum would be better as they can be geared more specific to your equipment.

Ok thanks! Its $200 more than its 17-85mm counterpart but will try to accomodate for it.

I'm a newbie. Bought 50D few months ago. was thinking of which kits lens to get like what u're contemplating now. Was recommended 18-55 to start off with. It's a great lens given the clarity, useful zoom range and light weight. The quality is not that bad, really.

Don't waste yr money getting the other kits lens cos chances of u getting other better lens are high. A 50 mm f1.8 is highly recmded. cheap and good (less than $150).

Beside the 18-55 Kits lens, i have a 50mm f1.8, and a high quality 24-70 f2.8L. Now one the hind side, I shd have bought the 17-55 f2.8 instead of the kit 1 lens.

Hope this helps.

but then if you want to have that extra zoom range, you dont have any telephoto ranges like 18-200 or 55-250 or 70-300? Do you recommend getting other brand lens like Tamron or Sigma with Canon EF Mount which are relatively cheaper. Sorry but I would like to ask whats the hype about the 50mm f1.8 and 17-55 f2.8 lens? Its able to take night shots with significant brighter light? But the focal length is quite limited.

Last edited:
but then if you want to have that extra zoom range, you dont have any telephoto ranges like 18-200 or 55-250 or 70-300? Do you recommend getting other brand lens like Tamron or Sigma with Canon EF Mount which are relatively cheaper. Sorry but I would like to ask whats the hype about the 50mm f1.8 and 17-55 f2.8 lens? Its able to take night shots with significant brighter light? But the focal length is quite limited.

Comparing the Canon 18-200mm with the Tarmon & Sigma version.... the Canon lens is faster (F5.6 vs F6.3) than it's counterpart.... :)

Ask around, how often do we need the extra zoom range. U'll pay extra for something u dont often use. As for the 50mm, try it out and u'll see it for yrself. 17-55f2.8 is fantastic, comes with IS but it's EFS so u can't use it for full frame in future if u wanna upgrade.

If u can afford it, go for a better lens straight away,give the kit a miss, like the 17-55 f2.8 ( f2.8 can make a huge difference compared to smaller apperture) or even an L lens. Then u will do justice to yr 50D.

Hi guys, I am going to buy a 50D and I was thinking which lens to start off with? I definitely don't want the 18-55 lens so I guess I am going for either the 17-85mm USM IS or the 18-200mm IS. Thanks!

1st Q: what do you expect to take, portrait and normal street shots? or you need a multi-purpose lens to cover all angles?

2nd Q: what is your budget? always buy within your budget :)

3rd Q: what are your future plans about your lens purchases?

Conclusion: if you are tight on your budget, why dont go for a cheaper body such as the 450D whereby you can splurt more on your lens... bodies more or less are about the same except for their functions... if you dont need all those functions, why not go for a cheaper body and focus on your lens arsenal, which is more important... my ½ cents worth of thoughts ;)

Ask around, how often do we need the extra zoom range. U'll pay extra for something u dont often use. As for the 50mm, try it out and u'll see it for yrself. 17-55f2.8 is fantastic, comes with IS but it's EFS so u can't use it for full frame in future if u wanna upgrade.

If u can afford it, go for a better lens straight away,give the kit a miss, like the 17-55 f2.8 ( f2.8 can make a huge difference compared to smaller apperture) or even an L lens. Then u will do justice to yr 50D.

Hi,
Even I'm not yet own a DSLR, but I also found the 17-55 f2.8 very attractive... but it is a bit expensive right? around $1600?
so, maybe combine EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM and EF S55-250 f/4-5.6IS?
What do u guys think?

For a first time user without prior experience, asking what focal length / range you use most is not an easy question to answer.

Either 3 is a good start, and pretty much depends on the budget. After you have learnt more from your setup, you will know what you need, e.g more reach ? a faster lens ? etc

For me a hyperzoom like 18-200 mm will be a convenient one stop shop for a flexible setup for travelling.

Ryan

In the DP Review Full Review (Conclusion) of the 50D, the cons contained these remarks:

High ISO performance worse than 40D

Reduced dynamic range in the shadow areas compared to the 40D

Poor white balance performance under artificial light

Live view not as accurate as on 40D.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos50d/page31.asp

We recently bought the 50D too and started off with the 18-55mm + 55-250mm, for the value (being prudent), and the range covered, i personally think this is the best combi if you're just starting out (i.e: still green to dSLRs)

We did consider the 70-200mm, for one its 200$ more expensive than the 18-55mm+55-250mm combined and more heavy as well. And read about some cons of the 70-200mm along some stretches of the range and thus we settled for the 18-55+55-250 combi. But oh yes, go for the 17-55 f/2.8 instead of the 18-55mm if you can afford it.

Moving forward, we may consider a 50mm or 85mm to add to our equip. Also maybe think about what sort of work you plan to put your lens into? Eg: Type of shoots- more close-up, landscaping or portraitures etc..

Just 2 cents!

Last edited:

Why you don't want the 18-55? :eek:
To be honest, I don't really understand your statement... You can do a LOT of things with it... don't underestimate this lens...

If you can't fully utilize this lens, then you won't be able to fully utilize other lens too...

My two cents.

Why you don't want the 18-55? :eek:
To be honest, I don't really understand your statement... You can do a LOT of things with it... don't underestimate this lens...

If you can't fully utilize this lens, then you won't be able to fully utilize other lens too...

My two cents.

Woah thanks for all the replies and answers..sorry for replying late...anyway I think its great too but I would like to play around with a bit more focal length. I know the 17-55 f2.8 is one of the best lens out there..but I thought for holiday and normal purposes first, I could do with extra range..Anyway I be getting my camera this weekend. I guess I will go with the 17-85 for a start. I will try out the 18-55 as well.

Woah thanks for all the replies and answers..sorry for replying late...anyway I think its great too but I would like to play around with a bit more focal length. I know the 17-55 f2.8 is one of the best lens out there..but I thought for holiday and normal purposes first, I could do with extra range..Anyway I be getting my camera this weekend. I guess I will go with the 17-85 for a start. I will try out the 18-55 as well.

haha... need the extra range? 18-200 is great for travelling ;)
why didn't give that a consideration since you decided to ditch 17-55

I would recommend the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM. For its price is pretty good plus reusable when you go full frame in future.

Well, since u have the 50D, the 18-200mm will be good for you. It's an all in one lens.

Hi!

Just took up last december so oso consider "green", started with a 50mm f:1.8 with strong recommendation from one of the CSer who sold me his used D200 when he upgraded to D700. Recently just bought two lens from Tamron, 17-50mm and 18-270mm oso from the advice from CSer bros.

Must say there are totally two different lens to start with, 17-50mm ideal for low light and candid shots while 18-270mm allow you to zoom in and the VR is really helpful for starter like me.

Have a look at these pics that I've just taken and hope they could help you decide:
http://gallery.clubsnap.com/showgallery.php/ppuser/77481/cat/500

Cheers!

Last edited:

and why not?

18-55 is usually the cheapest option and you will soon find out your shooting style..

and from then on buy what you need to buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.