Dilemma in camera

shin chan

Feb 12, 2010
Is GF-1 a good camera for a newbie who know nothing and wanna learn photography?

think DSLR is too bulky.

pls advise.

good enough !!
cheers... have fun with your new toy !! ;)

haven't get.
looking at 2nd hand in CS...

but was advised DSLR is more suitable for newbie...
micro four third more for ppl familiar with DSLR....

so that is holding me back...

haven't get.
looking at 2nd hand in CS...

but was advised DSLR is more suitable for newbie...
micro four third more for ppl familiar with DSLR....

so that is holding me back...

Why would that be the case? :think: M4/3 is more WYSIWYG than DSLR, more compact too.

Din know that DSLR was for newbies only.:think:

Welcome to CS:)

oh....:D

but what does it mean by 4/3 is more WYSIWYG?
a fair number of DSLRs still don't have live view (of course not the latest releases), so looking through the viewfinder means what you see isn't what you get, in terms of exposure, white balance, etc.

a fair number of DSLRs still don't have live view (of course not the latest releases), so looking through the viewfinder means what you see isn't what you get, in terms of exposure, white balance, etc.

icic...
tot most will prefer a camera with viewfinder...and dun get GF-1 cos there's no viewfinder...

icic...
tot most will prefer a camera with viewfinder...and dun get GF-1 cos there's no viewfinder...
you've just described me... :)

I prefer the immediacy of looking through the viewfinder.
I always know that what I see in the viewfinder doesn't determine how the shot will turn out, and I'm cool with that.

I feel that having the head against the camera provides an additional point of support/stability.

you've just described me... :)

I prefer the immediacy of looking through the viewfinder.
I always know that what I see in the viewfinder doesn't determine how the shot will turn out, and I'm cool with that.

I feel that having the head against the camera provides an additional point of support/stability.

agreed DSLR is more stable...but too bulky for me. :embrass:

Aiyah, get the Entry kit level ones la. Now DSLR are getting smaller.

Of course they are bulky. But thats the fun part of carrying them around. At least people know when u take pic, u dead serious abt it.

Anything that is toned down to small size sure has some "give-and-take" on it. Especially no viewfinder etc.

If size is what u worry, then just get a GF-1 and dun think of anything else. Coz if u kept gg abt Size and then performance, u will not get to buy camera any time soon. XD. So far GF-1 and EP-1 or 2 supplies very good image quality. Go for it. :)

GF1 is good.. comparable to a dslr I feel.. besides, most impt is the person using the camera..

GF1 is rather pricey in the 2nd hand mkt too compared to entry dslr...if you compare learning curve/price and think it's affordable for you and it's smaller size fits you..then let's get started!:D

Anyway, pls consider the lens compatibility before you engage in the long term affair...