Dilemma between D40x vs D60

Status
Not open for further replies.

drawdeo

Feb 19, 2009
Upper Bukit Timah
I am really new in this scene, hence I am having trouble trying to decide one which Nikon DSLR should I go for.

Anyone can kindly advice me on this?

I am really new in this scene, hence I am having trouble trying to decide one which Nikon DSLR should I go for.

The D60 has Image sensor cleaning system with Airflow control system but the D40x does not.

You are likely to change lenses with a DSLR camera and dust will eventually get onto the image sensor because of this.

As such, it is better to get a camera with sensor cleaning. Less hassle with cleaning.

If the D40x is cheaper than D60, I would suggest getting it because the anti-dust feature of D60 doesn't really work well (from reviews posted online).

It seems like the only dust removal system worth lauding comes from the Olympus system.

On a sidenote, I own a D40 and still do not have problems with dust.

just buy the D60 if the price difference is not material to u. D60 is a better camera (in my opinion) than the D40x.

If you're not in a hurry, you can opt for the NIKON's entry level in 2009 (D5000)
Rumored to be out in April with an image quality of D90 packed in a D40 body

If you're not in a hurry, you can opt for the NIKON's entry level in 2009 (D5000)
Rumored to be out in April with an image quality of D90 packed in a D40 body

wah... that would make a great entry camera.... then whats going to happen to the DXX series?

yes d60 is best choice for the moment...

My opinion is that the D40 is the best in terms of value for money...it has better noise control, it is cheaper and has faster flash sync speeds.

The d40x just has a higher megapixel, higher noise, higher price, slower flash sync. The d60 has a sensor cleaning tech but has mixed results..an air blower will probably be much more effective, besides i use a D80 and change lens very regularly with not much issues with dust. The d60 still has higher noise and slower flash sync speed. The only major point i feel is the inclusion of a digital range finder which is better for manual focusing than the "green dot" on the d40. A split focusing screen on the d40 will give you a better manual experience anyway, than the digital rangefinder.

Another minor advantage is smaller file sizes on the 6 megapixel, where you wont need a large memory card. And a 6 megapixel raw file loads significantly faster than a 10megapixel.

I feel that TS should just get the cheapest D40 he/she can find, learn then move up to a d80/d90/dxxx which is probably a better step up.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for their input; my final decision was a D60 which I just bought so far enjoying it :)

Thanks everyone for their input; my final decision was a D60 which I just bought so far enjoying it :)

The D60 is the right choice.

Good choice!
Remember to get the 18-55 and 55-200 along with it as well!

Status
Not open for further replies.