Dilemma - 1750 or 1770?

TheFuhrer

Jan 30, 2010
Dear Pentaxians,

I am quite in a dilemma right now as to over which lens I should get.

Right now I own a Tammy 28-75, and this lens is mounted most of the time on my K-x. However, I sometimes find that 28mm is rather limiting. So I was thinking of getting a Tamron 17-50. However, I 'happen' to stumbled upon the Sigma 17-70. And for some strange reason (or my luck), it is current being sold at £275 (~S$570) for the OS HSM copy. This makes both lenses relatively equal, in terms of cost.

Yes, I have asked myself should I get a fast lens or a general purpose lens (and maybe stop it down to f4 and pretend that it's a Pentax 17-70/4 ;p). But I can't really make up my mind. So I need your - mature or expert - opinion(s). If you were in my shoe, which lens would you choose? Or perhaps suggest me another lens?

Oh, I generally shoot portraits.

Cheers.

Last edited:
I had the older Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 and I could take indoor potos without using any flash. It is a good lens with macro function too.

The Sigma also has a 17-50 F2.8 and an older 18-50 F2.8 too. Unless you have a bigger budget the DA*16-50 F2.8 is another one to consider.

I would recommend the Sigma 17-70 as a general walkabout lens.

BUT since you shoot portraits, use primes instead. The DA40mm F2.8, and DA 70mm F2.4 are wonderful lenses as are the FA 43 F1.9 LIMITED and the FA77mm F1.8 LIMITED lenses or the humble FA50mm F1.4, and if you have the budget, the FA*85mm F1.4 (only available as 2nd hand).

Last edited:
I had the older Sigma 17-70 F2.8-4.5 and I could take indoor potos without using any flash. It is a good lens with macro function too.

The Sigma also has a 17-50 F2.8 and an older 18-50 F2.8 too. Unless you have a bigger budget the DA*16-50 F2.8 is another one to consider.

I would recommend the Sigma 17-70 as a general walkabout lens.

BUT since you shoot portraits, use primes instead. The DA40mm F2.8, and DA 70mm F2.4 are wonderful lenses as are the FA 43 F1.9 LIMITED and the FA77mm F1.8 LIMITED lenses or the humble FA50mm F1.4, and if you have the budget, the FA*85mm F1.4 (only available as 2nd hand).

Hiya,

Cheers for the fast reply.

I have the DA L 35 and based on my usage pattern, I figure that I'm not quite a 'prime' person; though I still want to get my paws on the FA77. Hehe.

I'm still a student, so the * is out of my reach for now. :..(

Last edited:
Shooting portraits... then go with the lens with the longer zoom range. You can get a nice head and shoulder shot at 70mm.

Shooting portraits... then go with the lens with the longer zoom range. You can get a nice head and shoulder shot at 70mm.

But I already have a 28-75 f2.8! The dilemma is that I am not sure to go for a fast 17-50, or the slower - but more general purpose - 17-70.

I was using the 28-75 but found the wide end limiting, especially for travels.
I sold it and got the Sigma 17-70 as a general purpose lens.

Hi Bro,

Currently i am a user of Tamron 28-75 Lens too.. i have been using this lens intensively for a week when i was in korea... in terms of shooting portraits, i can tell u, this lens is a good one to go... as i really took a lot of portrait shots...

But if u were to talk about the wide end... i fully agreed that its quite limiting... since i dun have a wide angle lens with me while i am in korea, what i did is, i use my tamron 28mm took few shots and merge it together to get a panorama view of the scenery... (The troublesome part is, have to spend more time playing with photo shop lol.. hehe)

If portrait is ur major shooting style, i would suggest either to keep ur 28-75 or take up the sigma 17-70... as what creampuff mentioned... @ 70mm u really can get a nice head and shoulder shots... =)

Do you want an all in one lens for portraiture? i.e. are you looking for a replacement to your 28-75 or are you looking for something to complement it? Or are you willing to swap lenses around.

Both the lenses you mentioned overlap with the 28-75 significantly, so neither are good complements.

It also depends on what type of portraiture you do - I find that I end up using my DA* 16-50 a lot, as I tend to frame my shots wider for portraiture.

Alternatively you can consider getting a proper ultra wide angle, e.g. the Sigma 10-20, to complement your 28-75.

You still have your 1855 kit lens with you? Why not just change lens when you need the wide angle?
I am a tammy 2875 user too and this is a super great lens i like. I am not sure if taking photo of cosplayer is counted as portraits, but i usually will switch in between my tammy 2875 and FA 50mm.

The Tamron 17-50 f2.8 is quite good. So I would go for that.

Do you mind changing lens while you shoot

If yes, then its sigma 17-70

If no, then

1. use your kit lens if you still have it. Save the money
2. Get tamron 17-50. The 2.8 is an option if you want to use
3. Get an UWA so that it wun overlap your 28-75 too much. I think the 12-24 will be a good partner to your 28-75

I agree with most of what the people here recommend.
If you don't mind changing lens often, you can either go for a wide angle lens or a 17-50mm and keep your 28-75mm.
However if you prefer a versatile walkabout lens which will stay-on the cam most of the time, go ahead and get the Sigma 17-70mm.
On the other hand, this lens does overlap with your current lens 28-75mm so u may want to sell it to fund for the Sigma 17-70mm to save abit of money. :bsmilie:

I am curious where did you find the OS HSM copy of Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 for ~$570??? Because I was quoted $700 during end of Feb by OP, which i thought it was a good price already. BTW, I am a Sigma 17-70mm user... but the older non-HSM version. :lovegrin:

TheFuhrer said:
Dear Pentaxians,

I am quite in a dilemma right now as to over which lens I should get.

Right now I own a Tammy 28-75, and this lens is mounted most of the time on my K-x. However, I sometimes find that 28mm is rather limiting. So I was thinking of getting a Tamron 17-50. However, I 'happen' to stumbled upon the Sigma 17-70. And for some strange reason (or my luck), it is current being sold at £275 (~S$570) for the OS HSM copy. This makes both lenses relatively equal, in terms of cost.

Yes, I have asked myself should I get a fast lens or a general purpose lens (and maybe stop it down to f4 and pretend that it's a Pentax 17-70/4 ;p). But I can't really make up my mind. So I need your - mature or expert - opinion(s). If you were in my shoe, which lens would you choose? Or perhaps suggest me another lens?

Oh, I generally shoot portraits.

Cheers.

What abt Pentax 18-135mm?

You should just get a UWA like the DA15, DA12-24, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 8-16.
My reasoning is like this,
28-75/2.8 will work very well in most situations. Walk around, close ups, portraits, etc.
When you need wide, you really need WIDE. Stop and take the time to switch lens and benefit from the wide FL.
A 17-50 is not only a half measure on the wide end of things, but also a duplication of what you already have from 28mm-50mm.

I'm with pinholecam on this. The 28-75 is already working very well for you, better to just complement it with a wide angle to work around its limitation. Doesn't make sense to have too much overlap unless the lenses clearly serve different purposes.

Get a Pentax 17-70 F4 to serve your general purposes. Is really good. I sold my 18-50 F2.8 sigma and replace with this lens. No regret.

Yeah I'm a very happy Pentax DA 17-70mm f/4 SDM owner too!
I seem to use it a lot for parties... wide enough to capture group shots and long enough to shoot people in isolation.
With the K-5 it is so quiet that people often don't realize that they have had their photo taken.

... use my tamron 28mm took few shots and merge it together to get a panorama view of the scenery...

That is what I did for some of my trips, and I find it quite troublesome.

Do you want an all in one lens for portraiture? i.e. are you looking for a replacement to your 28-75 or are you looking for something to complement it? Or are you willing to swap lenses around.

I am trying to complement the 28-75.

Both the lenses you mentioned overlap with the 28-75 significantly, so neither are good complements.

I realise that too, because I will just gain an extra 11mm (28mm - 17mm). If the lens speed not important, I think I can make do with the kit lens.

It also depends on what type of portraiture you do - I find that I end up using my DA* 16-50 a lot, as I tend to frame my shots wider for portraiture.

Ahh. I usually shoot portrait of people from waist up, with most of my portrait shots tend to be composed up of them. I.e, less on their surroundings (and the 2.8 really helps), and more of them.

Alternatively you can consider getting a proper ultra wide angle, e.g. the Sigma 10-20, to complement your 28-75.

Honestly, I was thinking of that; a Sigma 10-20/3.5. But the difference of approximately £200 (S$410-ish, between 17-70 and 10-20/3.5) is quite significant for me, because I'm already planning to get the 55-300/4-5.8.

Being a student and a Pentax user here in the UK, is not quite a good combination. Especially since some Pentax lens and most Sigma/Tamron lens are slightly cheaper here.

Last edited:
You still have your 1855 kit lens with you? Why not just change lens when you need the wide angle?

That was the initial idea when I was getting the 28-75. Turns out that I am too lazy to change it for just one or two shots, so like what yeohth said, I did a panaroma.

However if you prefer a versatile walkabout lens which will stay-on the cam most of the time, go ahead and get the Sigma 17-70mm.

That's the idea. A walk-about lens for when I travel Europe. But I don't mind bringing two lens.

On the other hand, this lens does overlap with your current lens 28-75mm so u may want to sell it to fund for the Sigma 17-70mm to save abit of money. :bsmilie:

Or maybe sell of this 17-70 once I get back. :bsmilie:

I am curious where did you find the OS HSM copy of Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 for ~$570???
Got it from this SRS-microsystems, a reputable UK Pentax shop, akin to SLR-R.

I seem to use it a lot for parties... wide enough to capture group shots and long enough to shoot people in isolation.

That was what I hope to achieve. But the 2.8 really spoilt me. The saying is true, I guess. Once you go constant, you'll get addicted to it. :bigeyes:

Last edited:
So the general consensus here is to get a general-purpose 1770, or get an UWA lens like a 12-24 or 10-20/3.5 to compliment the 2875.

And here's yet another dilemma :sweat:. Get 1770 or 1750, and I can still manage to purchase another lens: a 55-300 (for street-candid-photography, in preparation for summer :devil:). Since my longest reach is 75mm (on the Tammy), I think the 55-300 is a good step to take before considering to buy a 50-135*/2.8 or 70-200/2.8.

If I get the 10-20, well... That's all I can get. Two lens, or one? :p

Lastly, thank you for all the great replies! :thumbsup:

Last edited: