Digital workflow pain

Status
Not open for further replies.

buddy

May 19, 2003
Singapore, Central
Visit site
With the large gigabyte size memory cards in the market nowadays, how do you guys manage the digital workflow process. Out of the hundreds of shots that i take in a 1gb card, probably more than half get discarded.

However, the process of importing the shots, previewing them and then deciding which one to keep is REALLY slow and time consuming. Does anyone have a better solution for this? Right now, I copy the card over to the hard disk and use Picasa or ACDSee to preview and delete. Even then it takes a long time! Thanks for suggestions..

Adzz

Jun 20, 2004
West area
i concur with espn. nikon view load pics thumbnails at a fast speed, so can delete off the rubbish first. even loading of raw files are fast too. :)

buddy

May 19, 2003
Singapore, Central
Visit site
i have a pretty fast laptop with 1gb ram. seems that it doesnt help...

i transfer stuff using my pc card adaptor for CF.. could that be the bottleneck?

Virgo

Dec 23, 2003
West of Singapore
www.pbase.com
If you're only printing a 4R photo, don't shoot in RAW mode, unless you're not confident on white balance. Try shooting in JPEG of the desired size. It'll download much faster.

nemesis32

Oct 16, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Try look thru PS CS file browser to rank and delete the shots... See Scott Kelby book for suggestion on how to do it.

It's an impt step as it will cut down your processing time substantially.

loupgarou

Sep 9, 2003
ps cs2 adobe bridge/raw processing is pretty neat...

user111

Jul 27, 2004
shoot selectively.
crop in the viewfinder

I usually shoot in RAW+JPEG (Small) mode if I were to shoot in RAW. To see whether the shots are not usable, just open the JPEG (Small) file, which is much faster. If the shot is unsatisfactory, just delete both files. --> My fast method of deciding which files to keep and which to discard.

Also, a fast PC/laptop is preferred. I use a USB 2.0 card reader to transfer images from CF/SD to my laptop, and transferring 1GB of files from a CF to laptop takes only about a minute or so.

>1GB RAM is also recommended for fast opening and processing of files... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom