Digital vs 35mm

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddyvlad

Dec 27, 2003
Woody Land
www.eddyvlad.com
I find digital camera can be too sharp. Sometimes it'll make the subject look fake. I don't know much about digital cameras anyway coz I don't have one. But tried experimenting using my friend's camera. I don't really like the picture. It have that 'what you see is what you get' turnout.

Forget about the price, which one will give better photo?
Can Digital SLR able to mimic the same effect like a 35mm SLR?
Can Digital SLR able to mimic various film effect?
e.g Mercury Vapour Light recorded by the Fujichrome daylight film as a greenish blue or Monochromatic Blue at twilight using tungsten film; Over/Underexpose effect

eddyvlad said:
I find digital camera can be too sharp. Sometimes it'll make the subject look fake. I don't know much about digital cameras anyway coz I don't have one. But tried experimenting using my friend's camera. I don't really like the picture. It have that 'what you see is what you get' turnout.

e.g Mercury Vapour Light recorded by the Fujichrome daylight film as a greenish blue or Monochromatic Blue at twilight using tungsten film; Over/Underexpose effect

maybe it will help us if you can tell us, what's the model of your friend's digital camera. you should take a look at megaweb's photogalleries of insect macros at http://megaweb.clubsnap.org and see the wonder of digital photos.

for your questions:

1. The better photos will come mainly from the photographer. Not meant as an insult, but if you look at my photos... they're still a far cry from what's in the magazines... :cry: Next up will be the lens(es) - the light is "processed" through the glass before the Film/CMOS/CCD.
2. DSLR can give you output like Film SLR. Skill is required though.
3. Film effects like?
4. No idea, sorry.

eddyvlad said:

~Too sharp?
-Buy the D100. ;) people say it's too soft. Play with the camera's sharpening settings.

~Forget about the price, which one will give better photo?
-Depends on the photographer. Put my D100 in anyone else's hands, and the photos will be much much better.

~Can Digital SLR able to mimic the same effect like a 35mm SLR?
-No idea what you mean, sorry.

~Can Digital SLR able to mimic various film effect?
-why not? It IS a camera, after all. set your WB to daylight, and shoot the mercury vapors. voila! set your WB to tungsten, shoot the twilight. there you go! It's not about the equipment limitations, it's how well you understand your options and work with them.

Digital is a good medium for its specific purposes. A photojournalist now would never meet the deadlines with a film camera, unless he carries a color darkroom with him. Insect/Macro photographers will never know if they spent the whole day shooting 10 rolls of film, with not a single good shot. A product photographer will be left guessing for some time after a shoot, hoping that his photos work. Wedding photographers will have no nails left, after biting them all off waiting for contact prints.

Film, likewise, is a good medium for its own purposes. Some pros still use film for studio, weddings. And the average traveller can use it to document a short trip. The analog quality of film will give you infinite shades of colors.

There is no good or bad, many digital shooters still have their film bodies in the drybox, and take out their FM2ns to shoot a roll of film once in a while. The choice is totally yours.

Ok, so Digital SLR is better I guess. I don't know much about Digital SLR you see, so I don't know what it can do.
How come some 35mm SLR are much more expensive then the Digital SLR?
Thought of getting a Nikon DH2 because of the lens range but it's damn expensive and it's only 4.1megapixels.
Canon EOS 10D however is much cheaper but I don't know about the lens range. Don't know which one to buy and can I shoot 2 pose on a single frame?

I'm planning to buy a Canoscan 5000F to scan my slides. But I know I'm going to get a DSLR sooner or later. Do you think it's worth to buy the Canoscan after all?

eddyvlad said:
Ok, so Digital SLR is better I guess. I don't know much about Digital SLR you see, so I don't know what it can do.
Thought of getting a Nikon DH2 because of the lens range but it's damn expensive and it's only 4.1megapixels.
Canon EOS 10D however is much cheaper but I don't know about the lens range. Don't know which one to buy and can I shoot 2 pose on a single frame?

I'm planning to buy a Canoscan 5000F to scan my slides. But I know I'm going to get a DSLR sooner or later. Do you think it's worth to buy the Canoscan after all?

35mm film SLR more expensive than Digital SLR?

erm Canon's top of the line film SLR 1V is about the price of a 10D amateur model or even less. similar situation for Nikon's F5 and D100. so I can't see how this is true.

If you can't tell the difference between D2H and 10D, you definitely do not need to buy a D2H as yet.

Getting a slide scanner is good to archive your current stuff. I recommend it if you have a ton of negative or slides to convert to digital.

eddyvlad said:

seems that you're pretty confused. better be more sure before forking out that large sum of money ;)

DSLR > SLR factors:
Instant review
Save money for purchase and d/o of films

SLR > DSLR factors:
camera body depriciates much slower
no worries about failure of digital media
lower startup cost

weigh the needs that you need now and decide which equipment you're gonna buy. or else regret too late liao! :bsmilie:

eddyvlad said:
I find digital camera can be too sharp. ...
If the system behind the cam sucks.... the pix sucks.
That should answer your first couple of questions...

As for mimicking the different film effects, prosumer digicams do have their own built in WB filters like tungsten. There is also something called Adobe PhotoShop and its collection of filters. Wisely used, you can get Silver Gelatin and Kallitype. Various flavours of sepia, B&W, platinum and probably a host of others. Digital velvia/provia is also very closely possible. If you want a softer digital image, that can be produced with the same soft filter, or very PhotoShop again.

eddyvlad said:

Your questions are very interesting, but as some of the CSers have recommended, it's best for you to talk face-to-face with someone familiar with DSLRs. Faster and can correct some of your concepts in context immediately. :)

From what I know, both Nikon (D2H) and Canon (10D) have about the same range of lenses, from wide-angle fisheyes to super telephotos and everything in between. I don't see how you can conclude that Nikkor lenses are wider in range compared to Canon EF lenses. In terms of lenses the brand should not make a significant difference in terms of choices and quality.

Which one to buy? Try both and see which one you like and feel better in your hands. Beware, though, once you've commit into a brand it's difficult to switch brands in the long run without substantial losses and hassle. So choose wisely.

And your can do "2 pose in a single frame" = multiple exposure through Photoshop manipulation. AFAIK, no in-camera function caters for that.

Another words...
Can DSLR create reciprocity failure? Sometimes I pretty much like the way it turn out. It creates a mood when it suits the shot.

eddyvlad said:
Can DSLR create reciprocity failure? Sometimes I pretty much like the way it turn out. It creates a mood when it suits the shot.

Reciprocity failure? The two effects of reciprocity failure are underexposure and colour shifts. Both of which are easily achieved in the digital realm.

sehsuan said:
2. DSLR can give you output like Film SLR. Skill is required though.

So can I just send in the digital pic for printing without using USM or any sharpening in photoshop? Coz i'm also not sure what's "just right" sharpening. I find that 10D unprocessed pics are quite soft too.

eddyvlad said:

As chaotic mentioned, if you do not understand why you should pay more for a D2H, then the camera is not for you. In fact, other than speed junkies and photojournalists, nobody really needs a D2H.

Jed said:
Reciprocity failure? The two effects of reciprocity failure are underexposure and colour shifts. Both of which are easily achieved in the digital realm.

heh heh. can't hold back from responding huh.... :p

Shadus said:
heh heh. can't hold back from responding huh.... :p

What now? What did I do wrong now?

He asked a question, I responded. What did I do wrong now?

no lar, just realise u've been popping up recently. must be due to the winter. lesser jobs for u?

Sorry then, but some people get twitchy whenever I open my mouth to say anything, so I get twitchy whenever someone opens their mouth about my opening my mouth.

What, winter less jobs? You seen the football schedule of late? Plenty of rugby too. Next two weeks are quieter though.

oh well. tht's life here.
but it kinda lights up the forum quite a bit with fresh inputs from you. :p

anyway, wht's all these "film effects" mention in this thread? is it of any value to mimic it?

(Digital) Cross Processing is one thing that some digital photographers like to do.
Actually with digital you can mimic almost everything the film has to offer, but at the cost of your time.

Shadus said:
oh well. tht's life here.
but it kinda lights up the forum quite a bit with fresh inputs from you. :p

anyway, wht's all these "film effects" mention in this thread? is it of any value to mimic it?

Depends on your persuasion really. To each his own. But generally speaking by and large yes you can mimic most film effects. Most, not all.

Status
Not open for further replies.