digital SLR...

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacebun

Apr 29, 2005
hi, im new around here.. and im not really sure where to post.. but i guess this is a good place as any to start posting... =)

been reading thru some of the threads here and most people seem to recommend getting a 2nd hand kit, either 300D or D70 for people who are just starting out and wanna upgrade to using dSLR...(not sure about the price range i should be looking at when buying it too).. also im still torn between getting a 2nd hand dSLR or a brand new prosumer digicam.. like the G6, Pro1 or thereabouts.. pls advice?

well if i had extra cash to spare id buy a brand new dSLR.. but unfortunately.. the interest is there but the $ aint.. haha..

is the learning curve for handling a dSLR steep? im pretty comfortable with manual camera functions and blahblah.. but there's still so much to learn.. ://

thanks in advance to anyone who'll take the time to "entertain" my questions.. ;D

hi there.

i started shooting using C750UZ, not even a prosumer digicam i guess? heh.. and after using it for 5 months, i decide to upgrade, because it doesn't fit me. although it got all the manual functions blah blah blah, its reaction is just too slow. so about a month ago, i bought a 2nd hand D70 kit here which costed me $1.3k. it was a good buy though, because the shutter count was only 200+.

ok, after getting it, play around for a few days, and then: ahem! how come cannot zoom arh? my C750 got 10x optical zoom, but now although i got a pro camera but beyond 70mm, i have to walk! when i go to orchard the first time for shooting with my friends, they were using 70-200 f2.8, and that 70mm is the maximum i can reach (D70 kit lens is 18-70mm, 300D/350D kit lens is 18-55 if i'm not wrong). super pissed off, so 2 weeks later, which was last week, i bought the Sigma 70-300.

ok, so my point is, after buying your DSLR, your interest will be there, and hence your $ WILL be there. trust me, you will never stop upgrading. just like me, i've now already in mind which lens to get next, and tripod, and... so i sold my phone, used back my old 8310, sold my C750 and start doing part time again...

a prosumer digicam got its limits, a DSLR doesn't, just like its price...

seems like i gonna upgrade le... but i can't bare to let go my other things... lolz

i am also selling like crazy... and buying like crazy... theres no end actualli..

I must agree it is a deep hole which u will sink more and more $$ into it which
I experience after getting my first SLR, D70. :dunno:

WideZoom said:
I must agree it is a deep hole which u will sink more and more $$ into it which
I experience after getting my first SLR, D70. :dunno:

so how much total you sink in without control? :)

haha.. deeep hole ah.. so mayb i shdnt even buy.. wait end up cannot stop.. ;D

hahaha its normal that u BUY BUY BUY :bsmilie:

if you can wait i.e till June, i would suggest waiting for the Nikon D50 if you need something to start...I'm looking at that too...saw that it is going for around $14XX with kit lens...get the 50-200mm as well and I would think that is a good starter kit at least for me :)

wow, thats a nice information, wondering if they will come up with Grip for D50 anot, but still i might go for a Olympus :p

hmm... i wouldnt mind waiting.. however my holiday cannot wait.. touring europe in may/june.. heh.. that's the main reason y i wanna get a "not bad" cam... haha... altho.. a lot would depend on one's aptitude and skill too i guess...

Do you already have a film SLR (since you said you are familiar with a manual cam). If you already have, you don't really need to buy a new camera unless there are things you want to achieve that you can't do with your current cam.

If you share more info, we could provide more advice.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.