digital slr vs manual slr

Status
Not open for further replies.

erthling

Oct 18, 2003
Hi,
very new to photography. own a manual slr. with the influx of digital slr in the market now, would like some advise on the pros and cons of the two types of slr. what models would you recommend for digital slrs and why? thanks!

hi .. i do not own slrs, but personally i prefer film slrs. i look at the pictures taken by my friends, and the cost that attribute to dslrs, i still think film slrs are better. film colours are always better than digital, thats my opinion ...

Well, not very true.. Infact, some dSLRs produce better, more "true" and vivid colors. Like Here.

This is only one example that a dSLR produces nicer colors compared to a film camera. Then again, it's all preference.

Cost wise.. It's actually dependant on the frequency that you shoot. If you're a heavy shooter who shoots very frequently.. Going on film will burn a deep deep deep deep hole in your pocket. So for this kinda shooter, go for dSLR. Cheaper in the long run(that is if you don't print your shots). But if you're the kind who shoots like once every fortnight, then film will be ok.

Also, i feel that dSLRs got an edge over SLRs in the way that dSLRs can preview your shots immediately after you take it. This provides instant feedback on the shot. And if it's bad, you can re-shoot it. If it's good, it's good. :)

I hope it helps :D

erthling said:
Hi,
very new to photography. own a manual slr. with the influx of digital slr in the market now, would like some advise on the pros and cons of the two types of slr. what models would you recommend for digital slrs and why? thanks!

I'm a newbie, tried starting out with SLR's some years ago but soon gave up due to the high film developing cost and poor results. Had to keep tabs about the settings used for each shot and all and was a little troublesome.

With technology and DSLRs, it has made the learning curve so much easier. All the details are captured together with the shot and you can shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot and shoot without worries of extra incurred costs. And what's best is you get immediate results!

I don't know much about picture quality but for a newbie like me, it doesn't really matter for now since I can't differentiate the slight difference. So the DSLR can help polish up first my basic skills.......

Hope this helps

you may want to do a search for similar topics on CS - i'm sure i read another discussion like this. :)

personally, fun thing about digi slr is the instantaneous feedback, so you know what you screwed up, how - while for film, you'll get the delayed onset of agony in case of screwing up :D

but one day i would foresee myself getting a film slr, because i would like to get WIDE angles at times :)

thank you all for your opinions.

are wide angles not avail with dslr? how is it different from fish eye? and how is it different from lenses with short focal point? and how different from those lenses that magnify the subject? sorry really very very beginner.

yes i have to wait till the photos are developed to know how they turn out and agonise over the colour sometimes too washed out cos the shop set too light contrast. of course blame others first before i blame it on my own skill right? yeah film and developing cost also another factor to consider. but i only take photos when not in sg, so it's not that frequent, just that one shot is alot of money each time. just can't bring myself to take out my camera to shoot when in sg, can go where har?

read a review of some dslr on the nyip site and it really seems like photography is going that way. but the price is very steep and i am afraid i may end up with a white elephant, be it my slr or the to-be-bought dslr. maybe can do with just a normal digital camera and not a dslr?

erthling said:
thank you all for your opinions.

are wide angles not avail with dslr? how is it different from fish eye? and how is it different from lenses with short focal point? and how different from those lenses that magnify the subject? sorry really very very beginner.

yes i have to wait till the photos are developed to know how they turn out and agonise over the colour sometimes too washed out cos the shop set too light contrast. of course blame others first before i blame it on my own skill right? yeah film and developing cost also another factor to consider. but i only take photos when not in sg, so it's not that frequent, just that one shot is alot of money each time. just can't bring myself to take out my camera to shoot when in sg, can go where har?

read a review of some dslr on the nyip site and it really seems like photography is going that way. but the price is very steep and i am afraid i may end up with a white elephant, be it my slr or the to-be-bought dslr. maybe can do with just a normal digital camera and not a dslr?

Wide angle lens are available for DSLRs. Prosumer mid range DSLR has a crop factor, means it multiplies the focal length of your lens, for example a crop factor of 1.5X will make a 50mm lens 75mm. Only the professional DSLRs (top range, for now) does not come with a crop factor.

So some really expensive wide angle lenses will be made not as wide on a DSLR, thus not cost effective.

Really depends where are you going with your camera, you must know what you want your camera for then you can dexide on SLR, DSLR or just a normal digital point and shoot. Your equipment must suit your needs. Its silly lugging around a DSLR when you are only interested in convenience. And I have to say, alot of people get better results from a normal digital camera compared to me with my DSLR. :D

Pai seh ar, I hijack your thread:

See, if i wanna get a dSLR, my arguements would be this:

-Saves money.(I'd shoot like mad on a dSLR)
-Instant Feedback.
-Allows more creativity(Can use whatever funny settings and it won't cost an arm)
-I like working with images on my Desktop versus just handing it over to the lab lady.

So is it jusitifiable, as a student, to get a dSLR for my case??

OzOn3 said:
Pai seh ar, I hijack your thread:

See, if i wanna get a dSLR, my arguements would be this:

-Saves money.(I'd shoot like mad on a dSLR)
-Instant Feedback.
-Allows more creativity(Can use whatever funny settings and it won't cost an arm)
-I like working with images on my Desktop versus just handing it over to the lab lady.

So is it jusitifiable, as a student, to get a dSLR for my case??

if u shoot like mad, and have the $$, why not.
But i still prefer film coz i hardly finish 2 rolls in 3 weeks nowadays, and there is
no substitutes for the colors of slides, especially in digital format.

And the feeling that u think before u shot and not click like mad, then u sent it in to develope, crossing your fingers, then get the developed stuffs.
The feeling and waiting process is worth it when u get good shots.

Wha.. I shoot almost as "frequent" as you.. haha. Because of cost =x I snap more on my A70 sia.. hhaah

I haven't shot slides.. so can't really comprehend you joy :p

Your last sentance cheechee, is debatable. hahahaaa.. Mixed feelings for meeeeeeee :D

Status
Not open for further replies.