Digital Printing needs 3x2... sien

Status
Not open for further replies.

siron

Mar 18, 2002
somewhere near...
www.geocities.com
Sigh... Digiatl Prints need 3x2... sigh.
So many of my pictures taken if cropped to 3x2 will lose many details. How to print leh!

Sien leh.

You have photoshop 6 ?

Use the rectangular marquee then set ratio to 4:3

Originally posted by Keito
You have photoshop 6 ?

Use the rectangular marquee then set ratio to 4:3
4:3 is what my camara give me!! GOOD! 1280x960!
Good! but the common digitals are 3x2...

crop a 4:3 to 3:2 will distort the pic or either you crop some details away...which is not what I want

Your solution is simple and elegant, does not need any work on your part, does not need cropping and definitely will not lose any detail.

Ask the lab to do the print "as is", without any cropping. This will produce a print roughly 4 x 5.33", or a 4x6" with white borders on the sides. Simply use a paper trimmer to trim off the borders. Saves you a lot of hassle. And who says photos has to be 4x6" :)
I don't know what other labs call it, but Colour Lab calls this format "DI(gital)". Slips into 4R albums nicely too.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang
Your solution is simple and elegant, does not need any work on your part, does not need cropping and definitely will not lose any detail.

Ask the lab to do the print "as is", without any cropping. This will produce a print roughly 4 x 5.33", or a 4x6" with white borders on the sides. Simply use a paper trimmer to trim off the borders. Saves you a lot of hassle. And who says photos has to be 4x6" :)
I don't know what other labs call it, but Colour Lab calls this format "DI(gital)". Slips into 4R albums nicely too.

Regards
CK

Really? Actually I thought if you dun say athing they will jus print what you gave em... jus too bad. all 100 of my pics got their sides all TRIMMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by siron

Really? Actually I thought if you dun say athing they will jus print what you gave em... jus too bad. all 100 of my pics got their sides all TRIMMED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to a better lab, like Colour Lab at Adelphi, Foto Hub at Raffles Place, etc. ;)

Regards
CK

Go to a better lab, like Colour Lab at Adelphi, Foto Hub at Raffles Place, etc. ;)

Regards
CK

HOw much does Foto Hub charge if I bring my CD there?
50cents or 35cents? (online they offer 50cents)

50 cents also. I have not tried them yet though. They are supposed to be quite a good pro lab.

Regards
CK

I did my first batch of 100 picture at STANDARD PHOTOS... 35cents per 4R and still got 15% discount!! 100 pictures only at $34 I think. But wait a week.

I juz did 10 online printings thru Fuji by telemoney. $10 liao! hmmm.

I did my first batch of 100 picture at STANDARD PHOTOS... 35cents per 4R and still got 15% discount!! 100 pictures only at $34 I think. But wait a week.

standard photo?

wat kind of lab is that? ;p

Originally posted by mpenza

It's a chain and you can actually find them at many locations.

I think reddawn meant that as a sarcastic remark.... ;p For dunno-how-long, I've (and reddawn too) have stayed away from the likes of Standard Photo, Singapore Colour, a large number of small Kodak Express franchises (and their Fuji equivalent) etc. Somehow "Standard Photo" now has no standard. Especially when it comes to negative prints. I've since used only Colour Lab, but considering using Foto Hub and RGB as well.

RGB's digital printing and negative printing is expensive though. Use them only for their cheap and fast slide processing.

Foto Hub does not seem to have a handling fee. At least that is not mentioned in their price list.

Regards
CK

Yup. Cheap things come with a string attached. Either cheap and lousy, cheap and good but wait very long, or fast and expensive, etc. :(

For digital printing, always consolidate (from your friends, etc). By the time you hit 100 prints, the handling fee becomes negligible.

Regards
CK

Yup. Cheap things come with a string attached. Either cheap and lousy, cheap and good but wait very long, or fast and expensive, etc. :(

For digital printing, always consolidate (from your friends, etc). By the time you hit 100 prints, the handling fee becomes negligible.

Regards
CK

But if you are talking abt say 100 prints at 50cents thats quite alot compared to 35cents. ask me.. I wouldn't mind the wait. The print quality is actually very good at Standard Photos for me. only thing that draws me back is they only process at 3x2.

But if you are talking abt say 100 prints at 50cents thats quite alot compared to 35cents. ask me.. I wouldn't mind the wait. The print quality is actually very good at Standard Photos for me. only thing that draws me back is they only process at 3x2.

Yeah, that's very true. :( I don't print a lot and very often, so it's not that bad. Most of my digital images are not printed, and I hand print those I like up to 8x10" on my inkjet.

I don't print from negative film most of the time either - I just ask for them to be scanned into a CD. As for slides, I usually get them scanned into a CD as well. :)

Regards
CK

Yeah, that's very true. :( I don't print a lot and very often, so it's not that bad. Most of my digital images are not printed, and I hand print those I like up to 8x10" on my inkjet.

I don't print from negative film most of the time either - I just ask for them to be scanned into a CD. As for slides, I usually get them scanned into a CD as well. :)

Regards
CK

Print urself...how is the quality? Good? Anyway though I seldom send for printings. Like out of thousands of picture I only choose 100. But sometimes say like I took some pictures of my friends at dinner. So I have to develop for em mah. So that is why I send for printings. also some pics that I really like, I will also wanna send for printing. So bo pian loh. So if you know any shop out there print 4x3 except fuji...Do let me know okay? Thanks!

Print urself...how is the quality? Good? Anyway though I seldom send for printings. Like out of thousands of picture I only choose 100. But sometimes say like I took some pictures of my friends at dinner. So I have to develop for em mah. So that is why I send for printings. also some pics that I really like, I will also wanna send for printing. So bo pian loh. So if you know any shop out there print 4x3 except fuji...Do let me know okay? Thanks!

If you use an Epson Photo Stylus printer like the 890, you can get prints that your friends can't tell from normal photo prints. It's THAT good. Even a lowly 790 or 810 can produce excellent prints.

For friend's gatherings/birthdays, etc, I normally email them. Most of my friends have Internet access. Printing and sending to them is so .... old economy. ;p

I only go Colour Lab, so I dunno if the other non-Fuji ones allow you to choose how you want them printed.

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.