Digital Photo is a very expensive hobby

Status
Not open for further replies.

lauLEE

Jun 8, 2003
North-East
Visit site
After my first purchase of a dslr, i had to buy some lens ..... then L lens, then l need zoom lens, then hoods, then battery holder, then extra batteries for the dslr. Then a good external flash, then accessories for the flash, then rechargeable batteries for the flash, then chargers for the rechargeable batteries!
Then a small bag, then not big enough, go for a bigger bag, then not big enough for the 70-200 IS, need to buy a bigger bag......
Then a CP, not enough, then have to buy another 1G CF, then scare of cf failure, buy a xdrive, then now being offer DA plus 40G, then.....
then buy a photo printer, then maybe will consider a CP300 now, etc...
then go for model shoot, then meet Astin (this is bad .... he's got so many attractive models, gonna spend more $$$), then go for bikini, then......

when should i stop all these buying spreeeeeeeeeeee..........

would like to hear some of yr experiences here.

You are loaded. That about sums it up.

Learn to control the expenses and urges to buy better equipment? So far I don't have any single lense costing more than $1k. I'm happy with the lightweight of my equipment and the photos I have taken. I don't want to spend a lot on heavy equipment that load me down and affect my interest in the hobby.

I do have a lot of accessories besides lenses though ;p

Haha, all these things you only buy it once right?? or are you gonna upgrade & upgrade & upgrade & upgrade & upgrade & upgrade &......retire from photography??.......if you don't do photography for a living, just get one set for fun can already. there will be no end if you like to "play" new things & upgrading now & then.

Hmmmm.... I'm still happy with my prosumer digicam at 4Mp.

Mpenza has a valid point, learning to control the urge. Outside of buying 1 more battery and the extra 512Mb CF, I've little else. A TC leftover from my previous cam and that's it!

End of the day, its how you choose to justify your purchase - by taking award-winning shots, by paying with jobs on that cam, by borrowing from loanshark or whatever. For some I'd guess, its but shooting more more more.

Photography alone, and not just digital, can be an expensive hobby, especially if you want to get the good stuff. At the end of it all, you just have to ask yourself 'Is it worth it?'

Photography really isn't expensive; over-enthusiasm is. Slow down, pace yourself and see what you really need. No point having the longest lens when your interest is really on protraiture or landscape.
That's the danger of having too much on hand oso... you have the power and means to get all there is to get and later after that, ask yourself out of the blue: "Hey, why did I buy this for?"

Just my 2cts :)

SniperD said:
Photography really isn't expensive; over-enthusiasm is. Slow down, pace yourself and see what you really need. No point having the longest lens when your interest is really on protraiture or landscape.
That's the danger of having too much on hand oso... you have the power and means to get all there is to get and later after that, ask yourself out of the blue: "Hey, why did I buy this for?"

Just my 2cts :)

Very true, many people buy on impluse...."Pro" people buy because they need it, maybe for that one job only...but then, if the job alone is able to cover the cost of the equipment and left over to cover their day's spending, etc eating(i like it but i'm still silm :D ) then why not??

I got my 1st flash unit because I'm arrow to take wedding pics for a relative,so I "earn" the flash and got some expeirence...

well, looking at this thread, all i can say is, any hobby can be EXPENSIVE IF you run into the habit of being trend-setters, be it guitar, photography or even purchasing hand phones. and i fall into the former two categories which i have no regrets in doing so.

i'm still summing up my resources and not getting into a DSLR frenzy yet, owing to the fact that canon's anniversary is just around the corner, must wait and see, then purchase. Prudent budgeting will indeed last one a long time.

AReality said:
wanna sell me lens cheap cheap? :D

Ok, I sell you disposable contact lens real cheap. Only 3 months old but no warranty. Only $80 ai mai? Where can find such good price for lens only 3 months old?!!!! :bsmilie:
Sorry for the OT laulee.

I think it's expensive because initially you don't plan what you want to take and what you like to take.

Most people just plunge into a 70-200 because of the range, then upgrade to f/2.8 IS/VR because of the IS/VR and f/2.8 then goes on and on, then end up like to shoot portrait then end up with 50/1.8 then 85/1.8, then complain 1.8 too much, go for 1.4.

It's really the person's poor view and direction of what he/she wants to shoot before commiting to the equipment. :)

If you shoot portrait, 50mm/85mm 2 lens only... still need to upgrade meh? I think it's a equpiment wanking chase after that.

Ah Lee, you are not done yet, look at me, I bought the studio lights, not enough background not clean, then bought backdrop paper, not enough outdoor too windy and dusty, then bought a condo to build a studio, not enough no pretty models, then signed contract with agency, not enough no car to fetch models then bought a car.....

espn said:
I think it's expensive because initially you don't plan what you want to take and what you like to take.

espn, I agree wholeheartedly with you on this one. :thumbsup:

I have a 50/1.4 lens fixed perpetually 90% of the time on my S2 pro now, and I find myself enjoying photography with this setup even more every time. The reason is similar to what you mentioned in your post - I can take the pictures I like with a 50mm, and I am comfortable with it - so no reason to splurge money on super expensive lenses.

Astin said:
Ah Lee, you are not done yet, look at me, I bought the studio lights, not enough background not clean, then bought backdrop paper, not enough outdoor too windy and dusty, then bought a condo to build a studio, not enough no pretty models, then signed contract with agency, not enough no car to fetch models then bought a car.....

:bsmilie:
so what's next, Astin??

sfhuang said:
:bsmilie:
so what's next, Astin??

let me guess: yacht for shooting in the highseas, a private garden, a villa located besides a picturesque lake....

mpenza said:
let me guess: yacht for shooting in the highseas, a private garden, a villa located besides a picturesque lake....

Maybe get a white tiger for mpenza to shoot in studio, no need to sweat in the zoo.
Also maybe get a coke dispensing machine for sfhuang, so he can upgrade his avatar.

mpenza said:

He's probably need to buy the lake up... lest he wants to obtain "scenary release" everytime he publishes his photos with the lake in the background... :bsmilie:

Astin said:

So when will you be shooting sports car?

Status
Not open for further replies.