Digital Photo is a very expensive hobby

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don complain so much... you are still in the realm of 35mm digital...

wait til' you experience MF magic

I personally think film is more expensive compared to digital, which was why I went with digital. Development costs thrown in for a student and having to buy film is a bit too costly for me in the long run.

Astin said:
Ah Lee, you are not done yet, look at me, I bought the studio lights, not enough background not clean, then bought backdrop paper, not enough outdoor too windy and dusty, then bought a condo to build a studio, not enough no pretty models, then signed contract with agency, not enough no car to fetch models then bought a car.....

hahahahahahahaha......................

Astin said:
Maybe get a white tiger for mpenza to shoot in studio, no need to sweat in the zoo.
Also maybe get a coke dispensing machine for sfhuang, so he can upgrade his avatar.

hiaks ... :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Dun blame or complain the equipment for being so X or good. It didt force u to adopt them. Shd blame the man behind the camera who didt plan well for his own sake.

This is just how i feel. My cheapo lense oso can take pictures........(but not pro standard la)

This post is really interesting...hahahhaa

darkavgr said:
At least its cheaper than cars!
This is very true.... used to be crazy with cars, bought and then keep paying monthly instalments like crazy (and still complaining not enough $$$). then accessories, then sport rims, etc.... then polishing, then tune-up, then new this, new that.... also spent like mad still complain to mother, father, wife abt not enough incomes!!!!!

i think i better stick to dslr.... hehe

lauLEE said:
This is very true.... used to be crazy with cars, bought and then keep paying monthly instalments like crazy (and still complaining not enough $$$). then accessories, then sport rims, etc.... then polishing, then tune-up, then new this, new that.... also spent like mad still complain to mother, father, wife abt not enough incomes!!!!!

to sum it up....lauLEE is rich!! no no....should be very rich !!! :think::think::think:

scud said:
to sum it up....lauLEE is rich!! no no....should be very rich !!! :think::think::think:

u r a joke ........
mi spending my retirement $$$ (hard-earned/sweat $$$) ... cant bring them along with me when i m gone and dont intend to leave them to my kids to spend.... hehe :)

lauLEE, photography is just one of the 4 VICES of boys (ok ok, man), I'm sure when you are younger, you've indulged in at least 2 of the other 4. :)

Photography is indeed an expensive hobby. When I got my first DC, I think to myself, my god, two thousand for a piece of plastic and metal. At then, didn't use the DC much, pretty left it to waste, sold it at 1/4 of the price after 2 years.

Till recently, I started on a DSLR, my god, many more thousands for bigger pieces of pastic, metal and silicon. And the list of additional accessories just add-on. I'm just to horrified to look at how much was already spent. :sweat:

*sigh* Fallen into a deep abyss? ;)

ps: Photography is not necessary a very expensive hobby. BUT BUT BUT, one must know exactly what one needs and what one wants, together with photography friends of good influence (not those BUY BUY BUY, you know who you are. :nono: :bsmilie: ), one should be able to enjoy what's the best one can afford without undue worries. But again, the world's not perfect... :blah:

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|

I was discussing this with a friend, and came out with the Four main VICES of man. :p

VICEs stands for Very Interesting and Costly EntitieS. The Four VICES are, IMO, not in any order, Car, Photography, Hifi and Golf. :blah:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:
funny and interesting thread....!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Me too...!! find that photography is a very expensive hobby..... but at the end of the day... when you look at the pictures you take.... i guess you will know that it is all worth it...!

im new to photography... and im seeing myself following the footsteps of laulee... or i should say... many photographers in CS...! how to stop...? :embrass:

now... so many gurus have already advice that one should know what he wants in mind... then get those stuff that is needed... but i say... without going through all... how would one ever know what he really wants...? ;p

can anyone advise?

AJ23 said:
I was discussing this with a friend, and came out with the Four main VICES of man. :p

VICEs stands for Very Interesting and Costly EntitieS. The Four VICES are, IMO, not in any order, Car, Photography, Hifi and Golf. :blah:

Have you missed out : IT (computers, pda, hp,etc), Travels , Gambling, Wine & Women!

lauLEE said:
Have you missed out : IT (computers, pda, hp,etc), Travels , Gambling, Wine & Women!

The last 3 are the real vices. :) And the first 2, the $$$ needed pales in comparison? :think:

lauLEE said:
u r a joke ........
mi spending my retirement $$$ (hard-earned/sweat $$$) ... cant bring them along with me when i m gone and dont intend to leave them to my kids to spend.... hehe :)

Don't worry bout your kids, they can inherit your equipment! :bsmilie:

PS: you ARE rich!

lauLEE said:
After my first purchase of a dslr, i had to buy some lens ..... then L lens, then l need zoom lens, then hoods, then battery holder, then extra batteries for the dslr. Then a good external flash, then accessories for the flash, then rechargeable batteries for the flash, then chargers for the rechargeable batteries!
Then a small bag, then not big enough, go for a bigger bag, then not big enough for the 70-200 IS, need to buy a bigger bag......
Then a CP, not enough, then have to buy another 1G CF, then scare of cf failure, buy a xdrive, then now being offer DA plus 40G, then.....
then buy a photo printer, then maybe will consider a CP300 now, etc...
then go for model shoot, then meet Astin (this is bad .... he's got so many attractive models, gonna spend more $$$), then go for bikini, then......

when should i stop all these buying spreeeeeeeeeeee..........

would like to hear some of yr experiences here.

Hi there, just remember that investment in DSLR systems will generally cost much more than digicams. Like some have mentioned, planning is very important and we should not miss it. On an average estimate a DSLR kit can easily cost from S$3500 onwards, but not a digicam one. The advantage of DSLR systems are that you can generally use most of their lenses, flashes, and other accessories for the SLR units of the system.

But not fret, as i believe that after all this investment, you would be putting your equipment into good use and be an expert before you even know it. :D

Just my 2cts worth.

SuRfTeC said:
now... so many gurus have already advice that one should know what he wants in mind... then get those stuff that is needed... but i say... without going through all... how would one ever know what he really wants...? ;p

can anyone advise?

There's something called "borrow from your friend and try try". :D

Photography can be very cheap or very expensive. Which it is is up to you.

AJ23 said:

Looks like I'm in the same vocation with LauLee .. retiree .. but am still saddled with the four vices! Guess we better come out a set of do's and dont's otherwise our retirement funds will be depleted.

Only after LauLee listed the sequence of purchases that I realised its expensive! Been accumulating items for years and now with 3 DLSRs. I'm stopping this habit. Thanks for awakening me!

lauLEE said:
would like to hear some of yr experiences here.
You are definitely loaded! And seriously, I was once in that position too when I kept on buying lens after lens just to boost up my confidence but not boost up the quality of my photographs. When I went to UK to do my undergrad studies, I bought along a Nikon F5 and dozen of lens! And I won my first photography contest with my Nikon FM2 lens. Then slowly I realised that equipment is secondary. To date, I have travelled around Europe with just a Nikon FM2. I backpack around China with just my F5 and 80-200 lens. (altohugh alot of ppl have expressed doubtful looks at me for saying that!)

I guss collecting equipment is just part of growing up. You will soon realise the truth about yourself, about photography, and finally, ougrown that urge to buy more equipments.

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.