Digital or Slides?

Status
Not open for further replies.

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
Planet Nikon
Hmm probably this question has been asked often, but oh well, wth. :)

I'm on a trip to HK next friday and am pondering what to bring along,

- Digital camera
- F80 + slides (100vs, velvia 50, or which you'd recommend?)

Any sound advice to which would be a better choice? Both is out as I'm only bringing a haversack over for my trip, I like to travel 'light'. :heart:

Depends on what you want to shoot lar, but if you want to shoot mostly scenic shots and citsyscape/nightscape shots then slides would be a better choice. :D Best combo is bring ur F80 + WA lens + slide films and a compact digicam (if u have one available). And also a small, lightweight tripod.

Have a fun trip, take more pics and share hor! BTW r u doing some "equipment" shopping there? ;)

espn said:
Hmm probably this question has been asked often, but oh well, wth. :)

I'm on a trip to HK next friday and am pondering what to bring along,

- Digital camera
- F80 + slides (100vs, velvia 50, or which you'd recommend?)

Any sound advice to which would be a better choice? Both is out as I'm only bringing a haversack over for my trip, I like to travel 'light'. :heart:

hahaha!! i thot its another film vs digital war. :0

anyway, if u have not been shooting slide for awhile, better to stick to your digital. reason being, once the exposure is wrong, very difficult to correct later. more hours will be needed to tweak & correct compare to digital.

if you use velvia50, don't forget to add +1ev on the camera. after finish velvia, must remember to set it back to 0ev. :bsmilie:

have a nice trip. :)

Garion like wat u said, basically he bring along everything already lol... :D which digital cam u bring along espn?

Garion: True true, I would love slides of course (a bit addicted), I've managed to lay my hands on a friend's Gitzo CF tripod, so no worries on it. I'm mostly into the architecture & landscape, not really intending to shoot any humans there. So my 50mm stays at home. And yes, I'm doing some 'shopping' there.

nightpiper: No way, film is still film, digital's digital. Have been shooting slides for sometime now, the fun part is in getting the exposure & frame right cos it's a one chance thing. Thanks for the advice on the settings. :)

Chenwei: :what: BRING ALONG EVERYTHING???? Cannot lah... I not going there for work :bsmilie: I can bring along either a Canon Ixus V3 or my CoolPix E5700. :)

Thanks folks, keep the suggestions/comments coming ;)

YUMMY!!
remember to go EAT, EAT, EAT,EAT.......
and STILL EAT!!! :D

fbbb: I'm taking flight on friday morning, you flying also? :bsmilie: Cannot eat eat eat and STILL EAT... fat fat liao. Going to eat grass after I finish my shopping there :bsmilie:

nightpiper said:
hahaha!! i thot its another film vs digital war. :0

anyway, if u have not been shooting slide for awhile, better to stick to your digital. reason being, once the exposure is wrong, very difficult to correct later. more hours will be needed to tweak & correct compare to digital.

if you use velvia50, don't forget to add +1ev on the camera. after finish velvia, must remember to set it back to 0ev. :bsmilie:

have a nice trip. :)
sorry, why the +1ev? so when send for developing, must tell them you have +1ev? new to silde lay. :embrass:

i dun really agree on the +1EV, when shooting slides, i always underexposed 1/3 stop, to make the colour more vibrant. nvr tried velva so any reason u suggest that nightpiper?

btw, espn i think u better bring only CoolPix E5700 if really wanna enjoy the trip only~

Normally slides need to be under by 1/3 stop so that when projected, the exposure is about right. :) Normally I just shoot as I would for negatives, I adjust only the EV when necessary due to the lighting conditions. +1EV is really dependant on the photographer :)

I haven't tried velvia before also, so just wondering what to bring there, cos if I do, I need to bring a few rolls over, are the film prices there cheap?

Chenwei: Hmmm I want to enjoy it as a holiday and also at the same time capture scenary & landscapes, thus if I bring slides along, it's only a WA. Now just wondering which one would be a better choice.

I've already gotten opinions from CS friends through ICQ they'd rather I bring both :bsmilie: Perhaps I should? :bsmilie:

chenwei said:
i dun really agree on the +1EV, when shooting slides, i always underexposed 1/3 stop, to make the colour more vibrant. nvr tried velva so any reason u suggest that nightpiper?

somehow the velvia 50 is made in a way thats under by 1 stop. u need to try it to know what i m talking about. if u don't +1EV on the cam, u will need to set the ASA to 25 instead of 50. when under by 1 stop, its very difficult to retrieve details in the dark shadows, everything else will also look dark.

so its kind of a hassle. if u forget to bring it back to 0EV, u get everything else on the ASA100 upwards overexpose.

velvia has very saturated colours. most ideal for landscape & nature. if use for portraits, u will have a hard time trying to reduce the saturation to get it right. i recommend provia100, its somewhere in between landscape & portrait.

go try the velvia if u haven't. but be warn, its more exp than ordinary film so mistakes can be costly. :)

have fun!!

espn said:
fbbb: I'm taking flight on friday morning, you flying also? :bsmilie: Cannot eat eat eat and STILL EAT... fat fat liao. Going to eat grass after I finish my shopping there :bsmilie:

:bigeyes: wasted leh....
For me.... I EAT till drop!
I have hongkong.....
BUT on the 18th.....
Maybe can go fetch you back.....
rahahahahaha..... :bsmilie:

espn - take care, yah? have fun shooting and shopping! remember to post ur pics - slides or otherwise! :D

damn... if only can tompang u for shopping... except wallet very weak.. :cry:

nightwolf75 said:
espn - take care, yah? have fun shooting and shopping! remember to post ur pics - slides or otherwise! :D

damn... if only can tompang u for shopping... except wallet very weak.. :cry:

Psstt, NW, heard 105DC is cheap there. ;)

fbbb: You know what, I actually want to fly on the 18th one, then can shoot you on the plane!!! Sigh.. wasted.

nw75: Tompang can, but I only buy Nikon stuff back, 105DC for you? Heehee. :blah: If I shoot slides, v hard to post, but you're welcome to drop by NC for a real-life viewing. If I shoot digital.. then easier :D

espn said:
fbbb: You know what, I actually want to fly on the 18th one, then can shoot you on the plane!!! Sigh.. wasted.

nw75: Tompang can, but I only buy Nikon stuff back, 105DC for you? Heehee. :blah: If I shoot slides, v hard to post, but you're welcome to drop by NC for a real-life viewing. If I shoot digital.. then easier :D

:embrass: this is embarassing.....
*fattybombombom* will hide in the toliets...

sorrie steal the lime light for a while....
nw75, espn, aj23.....
Land/City-scapes and Travel
::Zurich:: Techno Parade.... (",)
Gimme your comments.....
thank you..... :)

fbbb - just did.

aj23 & espn - haha... like hell i will! but, would be nice to get an old EOS film body /or 35mm lens.... :embrass:

nightwolf75 said:
fbbb - just did.

aj23 & espn - haha... like hell i will! but, would be nice to get an old EOS film body /or 35mm lens.... :embrass:

Resist you shall not, embrace that you will. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.