Digital or Slides?

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is new thing i heard, velvia is made to underexposed 1 stop? hmm...

btw, espn i think u just bring both lar, since many of us suggested that lol!

:what: BOTH? Too heavy, wait they ask me to check in my haversack I go crazy.

:sweat: Anybody got a D1H/D2H/D1X & 17-35 to loan me for the trip? :bsmilie:

chenwei said:
this is new thing i heard, velvia is made to underexposed 1 stop? hmm...

very difficult to explain, u need to use it to know what i m saying. velvia 50 is actually ASA 25 film but some how, under some unreleased reasons, fuji has to mark it as a ASA 50 film. u should try it & do 1/3 stop bracketing & see which comes out better. 1 stop is technically correct but not neccessary your likings. some like it under by 1/2 stop or 1/3 stop. :)

nightpiper, surely you must know that exposure compensation is directly related to how you meter. +1EV may work for you simply because of your metering style, but it certainly won't work for someone else who meters differently. You can't claim that it is an ISO25 film marked as 50 unless you can prove that under a specific ambient condition with accurate metering, it fails to render a correct midtone exposure as shot.

Velvia 50 is a very high contrast film with rich and deep blacks, it doesn't have much shadow detail to speak of by nature.

bring me along. I help you carry the camera for free if you pay my air ticket. :bsmilie:

seriously, bring your 5700 since you have lotsa experience with it. slides can turn out real bad/disappointing if underexposed and then u will again ask about film scanning when you come back. :bsmilie:

Zerstorer said:
nightpiper, surely you must know that exposure compensation is directly related to how you meter. +1EV may work for you simply because of your metering style, but it certainly won't work for someone else who meters differently. You can't claim that it is an ISO25 film marked as 50 unless you can prove that under a specific ambient condition with accurate metering, it fails to render a correct midtone exposure as shot.

Velvia 50 is a very high contrast film with rich and deep blacks, it doesn't have much shadow detail to speak of by nature.

thx for hi-lighting this. i have tried with all 3 metering modes under bright afternoon sun, they turn out the same. i ask my friends using canon, they said the same thing. so its not a camera metering calibration problem or style. later, i read an article by some pro, can't really remember who & he said that its the way velvia 50 is manufactured. its supposedly an ASA 25 film but some manufacturing process makes it an ASA 50 film.

how else can i or do i prove it? its not like math quiz, like i said, u need to try it out for yourself.

also not forgetting the basic in film, once the film is under exposed, grain creeps out. ASA 50 is also not spared. the underexposed pic might look good on a projector, but when u print it, the bright fresh colours will look dull. i have done this before, so its speaking from experience. go do a scan on low ASA films & u will know what i mean by grain, i have already done a few test scans & yep, grain is very visible with all the underexpose frames.

go test it... thats my final word. :)

AJ, I sponsor you my time to bring around to shop, you pay for your own air tix & lodgings, how's that? ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.