Digital Life 10-megapixel 400D vs D80 shootout today

Status
Not open for further replies.

akira

Apr 24, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Wow, was hoping they would do a good job but what a big let down of a "showdown". :thumbsd: When I flip passed the page, I thought I had pages missing in my paper :confused: Just an abstract comparison chart and over-simplified opinions from two journalists is the best they can offer??? :bigeyes:

I thought the same thing too. I flipped up and down to see if they would continue on another page and I even checked the page numbers to see if there were any missing pages. Quite funny actually. :bsmilie:

quite a weak attempt i thought.. no much useful content at all

akira said:
Wow, was hoping they would do a good job but what a big let down of a "showdown". :thumbsd: When I flip passed the page, I thought I had pages missing in my paper :confused: Just an abstract comparison chart and over-simplified opinions from two journalists is the best they can offer??? :bigeyes:
I dun expect them to give an in-depth coverage anyway. :bsmilie:

Perhaps they are protecting their own interest; advertising $$$ first to keep their job and a fat year end bonuses.

Which is better they cannot say it outright or might stand to lose out on advertising $$$. Well both are just as aggressive in placing their ads on D80 & 400D with their recent launch.

To both advertisers ... advertisement $$$ first.:lovegrin:
Got to spend lots of money... then can talk.
No money no talk.

Now both pay many many money .... many many more $$$ in the pocket.:lovegrin:
Better play safe ... just show show only and no anyhow talk talk.
Still make money alot and why must kaykiang or kaypoh to talk talk.

:bsmilie: :bsmilie:

myap said:
Perhaps they are protecting their own interest; advertising $$$ first to keep their job and a fat year end bonuses.

Which is better they cannot say it outright or might stand to lose out on advertising $$$. Well both are just as aggressive in placing their ads on D80 & 400D with their recent launch.

To both advertisers ... advertisement $$$ first.
Got to spend lots of money... then can talk.
No money no talk.

Now both pay many many money .... many many more $$$ in the pocket.
Better play safe ... just show show only and no anyhow talk talk.
Still make money alot and why must kaykiang or kaypoh to talk talk.

Yup, they are VERY safe.
50/50 iffy iffy score... One "prefers" the D80 and the other "might buy" the 400D :bsmilie:
Neither one will commit to anything :sweatsm: Feels like I'm watching the home shopping network :bigeyes:

HELLO... what do u expect? its a IT newsletter they hav eto cover everything..

cant expect DPREVIEW standard of analysis..

and in any event, in terms of resolution, u dont need a shoot out to know that the difference between 8 and 10mp is marginal at best and unless you pixel peep, not really discernible in smaller prints.

jdredd said:
HELLO... what do u expect? its a IT newsletter they hav eto cover everything..

cant expect DPREVIEW standard of analysis..

and in any event, in terms of resolution, u dont need a shoot out to know that the difference between 8 and 10mp is marginal at best and unless you pixel peep, not really discernible in smaller prints.

Well, no point devoting an ENTIRE page to a shootout if they are just repeating some simple info from the manufacturers... I guess the REAL purpose is "advertisement" for Nikon and Canon, and not even very good at that :bsmilie:

ya... i was very disappointed. waited/rushed for it... thought i will get a good summary comparison. in the end, a real letdown. did not even dare to put down self-cleaning in the comparison chart. very sanitised version to please both advertisers.

should have known that for real reviews and opinions, the online reviews, and opinions from users here are going to be tons better.

akira said:
Well, no point devoting an ENTIRE page to a shootout if they are just repeating some simple info from the manufacturers... I guess the REAL purpose is "advertisement" for Nikon and Canon, and not even very good at that :bsmilie:

heh.wont disagree there. frankly, the standard of critics here, for anything, movies, cars, IT, really lacks much to be desired. long ago given up on getting any frank and fair appraisal from local printed press.

For a moment I thought that I'd have an answer to my Dad's question...he's still stuck trying to decide which to get as his first DSLR. I'll have to help with research. Looks like I'm out of luck again here.

I felt that the review was extremely disappointing... too short and lacking depth. Hehe maybe pple can review and post their review here? ^.^

QX

It wasn't even a review! Barely scraping the surface of things.. Seemed like it was taking the P&S approach to DSLRs haha. I was very let down this morning..

jdredd said:
heh.wont disagree there. frankly, the standard of critics here, for anything, movies, cars, IT, really lacks much to be desired. long ago given up on getting any frank and fair appraisal from local printed press.
I think many people in this forum can give better opinions than what was published.. if there was even an opinion in the first place. I don't think it's a proper review at all.

lsisaxon said:
I think many people in this forum can give better opinions than what was published.. if there was even an opinion in the first place. I don't think it's a proper review at all.

correct. cos most of us are photographer nuts. so we know about photography. just as the professional car review magazines, they know ALL about cars.

but some of these newspaper reviewers... they rae jack of all trades.. one week review printer, one week review handphone, one week review camera...

to be honest, may as well not bother at all. bet some wouldnt even know the difference btween CCD and CMOS sensor.

This article is just showing u both the camera lah. They won't say which one is better. Just generally telling you abt the cameras.

This is to show that 'When in doubt, buy both!':bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.