Digital ICE torture test

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckiang

Jan 17, 2002
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
www.ckphoto.net
Hi,

Here's an old, unwanted slide which I have thrown one side and gathered some dust. Also purposefully scratched emulsion side (heh). Here's what it looks like from a straight scan:

no-ice.jpg

With ICE enabled:

ice.jpg

Pretty impressive. Other than the parts where the emulsion is totally scratched off, the rest of the scratches and dust are more or less eradicated.

Regards
CK

Healing brush is MAGIC! Healing brush is god's gift to mankind! Healing brush has no equal!! :D :D :cool: Healing brush is also a toolbar item in Photoshop 7 - something like a clone tool for a novice. Very useful to "heal" dust/scratches - time consuming but prett effective.

he's using THAT coolscan III...
I somehow had two rolls of commissioned shots all fking spotty... wished I had the ICE.. healing brush is painful with about 70 shots going through PS7 at 10mp on a p3...
as for healing brush, good for larger areas but use with care when there's an edge or fine lines involved... the sampling can sometimes introduce alien details...
so anyone want my dual ii? then I can buy the acer 2740s again.. ;p

Originally posted by denizenx
I somehow had two rolls of commissioned shots all fking spotty... wished I had the ICE.. healing brush is painful with about 70 shots going through PS7 at 10mp on a p3...
as for healing brush, good for larger areas but use with care when there's an edge or fine lines involved... the sampling can sometimes introduce alien details...

tot u using Duel III ??? how is the auto brush ??

Originally posted by ninelives

tot u using Duel III ??? how is the auto brush ??

no lah, was not really willing to spend half grand on filmscanner... else the 2740s would be lying here liao..

BUT sian actually prefer the USB of the coolscan IV.. 1099 *gag*
the elite got ICE too?

Digital ICE is really awesome! hmm... but I would try to keep my slides in good conditions ;p

Originally posted by denizenx

really selling off? any problems with the dual II except for the lack of digital ICE? also, do you know the difference between dual II and dual III?

u really want meh? but I a bit broke now... bought too many stuff like bag, 50mm, filters, flash adptors etc etc etc... and still got mountain to scan...

diff is USB 1.1, 3.2D, bifocal vs trifocal... and of cos price... probs is sometimes got irritating purple line... dunno it's my usb-cpu load or what... sometimes dun have... but I tend to run edonkey+PS7+IE+icq+scan+kazaa so many that's the thing lol...

PS:bifocal is joke... two I's vs three... ;p ;p ;p

but for the 3.2D it's still very wide... I gamma up a lot the shadows still got stuff...

am considering options cos I'm just starting on slides ;p was considering the dual III for a while...

Originally posted by jasonpgc
CK, and your scanner model is.....? :p

The old, discontinued but nevertheless very good Nikon Coolscan III (LS30) which I got a friend to buy for me at Sitex. :)

Originally posted by jasonpgc
I don't understand how u cleaned up e slide....

The scanner has this technology called "Digital ICE" (you can read more from roy's link) which uses a combination of hardware and software to digitally remove scratches and dust. VERY effective as you can see here.

Regards
CK

I'm using Nikon Scan 1.31, but the digital ICE functions seem to be always disabled. How do i enable digital ICE in Nikon Scan 1.31? or for that matter, in VueScan?

I'm using a CoolScan III.

thanks in advance.

Originally posted by rochkoh
I'm using Nikon Scan 1.31, but the digital ICE functions seem to be always disabled. How do i enable digital ICE in Nikon Scan 1.31? or for that matter, in VueScan?

I'm using a CoolScan III.

thanks in advance.

Isn't 1.31 very, very old? I am using 3.13. Digital ICE is enabled/disabled via the Tools palette.

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.