Digital (especially wedding) photogs.... Wat's yr "sharpening" workflow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David

Deregistered
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
Hi to the wedding photogs! (and also digital users...)

If your clients or u yrself want both prints and CDs, what kind of sharpening workflow do u use? Cos for printing u do need a higher amount of sharpening for the pictures to look sharp, but on screen, that kind of sharpening looks over sharpened.

How do u resolve this issue? Have two sets of images? One to be sent for printing and the other burnt in CD format for the clients? Isn't this troublesome as in u gotta do double work?

actually...i dun ever sharpen my images...and so far it all looks sharp ahahah

Huh... Wow, how come u guys don't anymore? Unless u get the shops to do it for u when u are printing?

What about on screen? I might be able to get away with it if I shoot in jpg, but in RAW, there's no way I can do without sharpening even if I use my Canon L lenses. Images look soft.

David said:
Huh... Wow, how come u guys don't anymore? Unless u get the shops to do it for u when u are printing?

What about on screen? I might be able to get away with it if I shoot in jpg, but in RAW, there's no way I can do without sharpening even if I use my Canon L lenses. Images look soft.
Sharpen for what? Different size prints requires different amount of sharpening, so you going to sharpen one set for 4R, one set for 6R, one set for 8R and one set for ...?? :dunno:

If your L len not sharp, look for John Tan, he very good at getting sharp images out of cam.

try not to PS too much. If can, straight out from camera to print. Most important thing, shoot correctly, so less to correct during post.

no shapening for me either.. my raw converter does a very conservative one, photoshop no need.

if i shoot in jpg i don't bother either. i can't tell the diff... but then i dun really use a magnifying glass to check also lar.

i guess it depends on whether u want ur images to convey emotion and story, or if u're seeking technical excellence.

if it's the former, a slightly less sharp image (not saying that it should be out of focus or shake blur) can still evoke alot of power thru imagery.

i've learnt over the years to appreciate the "less sharp" images.

i guess if you're talking about commercial photography then that's different. won't be able to comment on that. :)

and yes... the 300/2.8L u no need to sharpen ahhahahaha :bsmilie:

Gd lens no need sharpen , better lens need less sharpen and lousy lens need alot of sharpen . The more u sharpen the more easy people will see through the flaw of yr photos and techniques

jOhO said:
if it's the former, a slightly less sharp image (not saying that it should be out of focus or shake blur) can still evoke alot of power thru imagery.

i've learnt over the years to appreciate the "less sharp" images.QUOTE]

True !

Belle&Sebastain said:
yes i never sharpen anymore nowadays

eh i really dun see the need to.... it looks sharp on screen,...on print and after i resize and all...sharpen for wat....

Whoa that's interesting... I must have been out on Mars for a lonnng time! Haven't really been "researching" this subject.

Honestly Guys, I'm surprised.... Cos last time in CS, many were talking about doing their own sharpening (in addition to color correction and all that) and not leaving it to the shops to do it if u want 100% personal control.

For me, even with L lenses, if I shoot RAW, there is no way my pics will come out tops if I dun do sharpening. With sharpening, it's kick a**.... That's why I'm really surprised for those who say they dun need to do anty sharpening... Maybe wif jpg, but not RAW for me.

espn said:
Sharpen for what? Different size prints requires different amount of sharpening, so you going to sharpen one set for 4R, one set for 6R, one set for 8R and one set for ...?? :dunno:

If your L len not sharp, look for John Tan, he very good at getting sharp images out of cam.

Precisely... That's the prob I had last time.... And some guys in CS said then they have different sets of images! One for screen, one for prints, etc. :dunno:

Who is John Tan?

It's not that my L lens is not sharp.. For sldies it's very sharp... But for RAW, it's deliberately made soft to let photogs adjust the sharpening themselves... It's something I really dun like cos without sharpening, the images do not justify the optical performance of the lens.

Oh.. Something to add... Yes, I hardly or don't sharpen my images if I shoot with a compact digicam. Images look good on screen and prints. But not so for DSLR.

David said:
Precisely... That's the prob I had last time.... And some guys in CS said then they have different sets of images! One for screen, one for prints, etc. :dunno:

Who is John Tan?

It's not that my L lens is not sharp.. For sldies it's very sharp... But for RAW, it's deliberately made soft to let photogs adjust the sharpening themselves... It's something I really dun like cos without sharpening, the images do not justify the optical performance of the lens.

Oh.. Something to add... Yes, I hardly or don't sharpen my images if I shoot with a compact digicam. Images look good on screen and prints. But not so for DSLR.
wah u ask who is John Tan ? :kok: He is the famous character in cs his work can be found in ready , light and action forum

S11loop said:
wah u ask who is John Tan ? :kok: He is the famous character in cs his work can be found in ready , light and action forum

Haha... Pardon moi lah..... :bsmilie: I seldom go to that Forum...

Okie will check out this "John Tan".. sounds like a respected sharpness guru! :p

David said:
Haha... Pardon moi lah..... :bsmilie: I seldom go to that Forum...

Okie will check out this "John Tan".. sounds like a respected sharpness guru! :p
Very respected, peeektures all sharp sharp one :thumbsup:

if you need passport photos, you know who to look for.

for me I don't sharpen my images, unless it absolutely needs it but then again if you have to go through hundreds and hundreds of photos to apply different amounts of sharpening is pointless and takes up alot of time, then again you can use an action.

Basically if it is only for one or 2 images, especially portfolio pieces I might do a little sharpening other than that I don't do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.