Digital Darkroom Desktop System advise

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonix

Jan 17, 2002
Sengkang
www.emomentz.com
Hi all,

Oh yes, I want to get a new desktop which will help me speed up my photo processing. I gave up on laptop liao :(

Have a few questions in mind, I'm really behind the technology now. Look at Fuwell list price really make like a dumb man. So many thing that I dont understand. Tried to read up hardwarezone.com for some review too but really too much info. Seems like the review are all crazy for 3D rendering and stuff.... which i hope should not matter in processing photo in CS2.

I have only budget of $2,5k (with good monitor, probably the viewsonic that clubsnap MO, the 20 inch wide). I want to optimize the spending purely for my digital darkroom work purpose (I'm do NOT play game so help me in saving $$ :)

1. Graphics card. Necessary to spend the high end one? Looks like some are design for gaming and i don't think i need it? Correct me if I'm wrong.

2. Thinking to get the AMD processor 4400 type, again mother board I have no clue to choose which one. or Should i go for intel dual core?

3. RAM. i do search in forum, seems like playing important part. so thinking maybe 2 GB for it. My friend told me AMD system only take DDR type.. any diff with DDR2 one?

I think that's my main doubt so far, the rest I think i can make decision myself if any input it will great also, especially the one i should avoid.

Thanks in advance guys.

Cheers :cool:

Dude.... Get A MAC.... If U Want Real Performance... Get A PowerMac G5... You Dant Have To Worry About Viruses And Stuff... And The Speed Is Blistering... But Dont Get The Ones With Intel Chipset.... Yes Its Faster But For Photoshop.... It Runs Slow.... But You Can Wait For Adobe To Release The Universal Disc And i'll Tell You... it's Unstoppable...

sonix said:
I have only budget of $2,5k (with good monitor, probably the viewsonic that clubsnap MO, the 20 inch wide). I want to optimize the spending purely for my digital darkroom work purpose (I'm do NOT play game so help me in saving $$ :)

1. Graphics card. Necessary to spend the high end one? Looks like some are design for gaming and i don't think i need it? Correct me if I'm wrong.
You are right. For DI, no need for something too ex as it does NOT help in your processing.
sonix said:
2. Thinking to get the AMD processor 4400 type, again mother board I have no clue to choose which one. or Should i go for intel dual core?
MB? Asus and a few others are rather good. As for Intel, the really top performers are not released yet. The Conroe chips will only come out in US next month, at least 2 months away from SG. So it really depends on your urgency. Note that RAM is more important than CPU if you have large files or you like to process many files at one time, or when you DI, you use many layers...

sonix said:
3. RAM. i do search in forum, seems like playing important part. so thinking maybe 2 GB for it. My friend told me AMD system only take DDR type.. any diff with DDR2 one?
Your friend is outdated. AMD came out with DDR2 MBs more than a month ago. However, the performance is not significantly faster than DDR1. However, for upgrade path, it might be a better idea to go with DDR2 (ie DDR1 is EOL shortly).
sonix said:
I think that's my main doubt so far, the rest I think i can make decision myself if any input it will great also, especially the one i should avoid.
Avoid Apple and Macs :bsmilie: They are way over your budget for nothing much faster. When you do computing, just be careful. I'm running my office machine without any AV for years still no problem with viruses, spyware, etc.

Get the 15.4" MacBook Pro, output to your 20" LCD. Versatality + ability to bring your MBP around when needed.

Thanks Watcher for the input.

Espn, Devilsjaw, sorry Mac is out for me eventhough I can afford it. A lot of thing cant do in Mac, i'm want a computer where I can do my office work and Mac are not able to do that. Few software i use is not supported in Mac, so too bad. :)

Can I ride on the thread to ask a question?

If I use BIG files I'm better off with more RAM?

But if I want to batch process files quickly, would RAM affect the speed?

The More The Ram... The Better... I'm Still Dreaming Of That Dream... Power Mac G5 With 16GB Of RAM.... At That Amount Of Ram.... Photoshop Will Be Runnin So FAst.... You Cant Keep Up.... :bsmilie:

CYRN said:

i would say ram helps for big files in photoshop, but not really for converting of RAW, that one should be pure processor power.

However, loading the previews for the RAW files would require ram i'm sure.

either way, RAM is pretty cheap nowadays, and 2gb is quite a standard and sufficient for most users (myself included). that said, once i get itchy i'll throw another 2gb in (only $300 for 2x1gb DDR2). But then i gotta get my system configured properly to make full use of all the ram (4gb), apparently, can't just plug in and happily use.. perhaps someone could advise me on this, or am i totally wrong? ;p

since i just got a new system myself, i now have two PCs to compare. the new system is TWICE AS FAST in almost everything i do, from this photoshop test to processing raw, and the difference isn't really in the ram (both new and old systems have 2gb, the new one has slightly faster bus speed) but the major difference is in the processors. p4 2.8ghz HT vs dual core (pentium D) 3.2ghz.

honestly, from experience, (not from IT knowledge, cos i'm quite lousy with IT) i feel the processor power is the most important, but it's expensive. as i said above, RAM is cheap, just buy! processor is way way more expensive so cannot anyhow buy. I'm waiting for dual core HT processors to go down in price, and i'm sure if i upgraded it would again make a big difference in my processing time. :)

CYRN said:

RAM just adds on the abliity to open more files at one go, it does help with larger files like those from D2X at 12.4mp. It will hit a ceiling though, I believe.

XP only supports up to 4GB IIRC.

what i read from KRW site, photoshop only uses maximum of 3GB of ram.. if you have less ram, you should have a good HD too for scratch disk.. or maybe i could be wrong..

For sonix, the threadstarter,

Just go to Dell.com.sg's site and write down the specifications of their dual core desktops.
Then go to Sim Lim Square ask for a shop to help you assemble the parts, with 2GB ram. This will save some money, though you might have to take into account buying MS WindowsXP.

Monitor just get the Dell 24 inch. You can order from their website.
The other stuff are not really important, relatively.

Vola! You're set up to do almost everything, unless you're into high res magazine design.

You can seriously consider a Mac too, since they can run Windows now. But it's quite inconvenient to switch OS considering that Photoshop runs slower, relatively, on Mac (intel) currently. But otherwise, my Mac has given me ZERO problems for the past year plus. All the myth about things you can't run on Macs are myth, unless you do strange out of the norm jobs.

(I'm a PC and Mac user).

For those who just like to recommend Mac, sonix mentioned in his first post that his budget is $2.5K, including a 20" display. Which Mac could fit the bill?? MacBook or iMac 17" ? or any other candidate? Mind you, both MB & iMac runs photoshop sloooowly. Also try Macromedia Studio 8 on these intel Mac and see;)

Mac is nice (I've just installed a DockFun! and really enjoying it.) but not always the best choice. Judging from sonix's budget and intended purpose (digital darkroom), any current Dell's desktop class with a decent graphic card* and 2GB RAM + a 20" LCD would do a nice job.

*Graphic card - Apple MacBook Pro uses X1600 series which is at best a mid-range product. Something like this is definitely sufficient for photoshop work. In fact, the MacBook uses a cheapo integrated graphic chip (intel GMA950) and from my personal experience, if you up the system RAM to 1GB, it is also good enough for photoshop and normal video work, just forget about 3D games.

Just my 0.000001 peanut :angel:

thanks guys.

Looks like I'll be upping my ram first.

dun wan to upgrade my pc yet... waiting for conroe to stabilise first before I decide.

sonix said:
Thanks Watcher for the input.

Espn, Devilsjaw, sorry Mac is out for me eventhough I can afford it. A lot of thing cant do in Mac, i'm want a computer where I can do my office work and Mac are not able to do that. Few software i use is not supported in Mac, so too bad. :)

i think the new macbook is more affordable than my laptop. ( 2k compared to my idiotic obsolete laptop which costed me 2.6k) Now that macbooks can run winxp side by side, its a bargain!

Gigabyte M55Plus-S3G
AMD Athlon 3800+ AM2

$665

Corsair TwinX PC6400 2GB (2x1GB) - $499
Seagate 80GB 7200rpm - $85
Seagate 250GB 7200rpm - $138
Floppy - $12
LG H10N DVD Writer - $75
PowerColor X1600XT VIVO DVIx2 - $279
Lian Li PC7 - $139
Verudium Vortex 430W - $119
Samsung 203B 20" 4MS DVI LCD - $ASK
LG Keyboard + Optical Mouse - $28
Windows XP Home XP2 OEM - $135
Xfree 2.1pt Speaker - $32

----------------

Total: $2206

Note: Price excludes Samsung 203B 20" 4MS DVI LCD

Got it all from Fuwell Pricelist

Hope this helps:)

but if you wanna run photoshop or adobe softwares. MAC would be the way to go.

and i mean Macs without the Intel processors..... and seriously i wouldnt want to pay that kind of money for a Intel Mac, after using it for a week.....

i would rather go for a Dual G5 and the max number of rams it can go and with a cinema screen. whoa..... wonderful dream..;)

QUOTE :
<<if you wanna run photoshop or adobe softwares. MAC would be the way to go. and i mean Macs without the Intel processors...>>

Agreed...BUT, these G4/G5 Macs are considered dead-end products, not worth to pay at current list price, don't u think?
2nd hand maybe.

I have a buddy who's using a macbook pro, the old type using the G series processors, and i must say its quite powerfull! The only trade off is the base can get very very hot (trust me), and the had to use speed balls instead of laying it flat on the table.

But i quite liked the UI and the speakers :D

cocoa said:
QUOTE :
<<if you wanna run photoshop or adobe softwares. MAC would be the way to go. and i mean Macs without the Intel processors...>>

Agreed...BUT, these G4/G5 Macs are considered dead-end products, not worth to pay at current list price, don't u think?
2nd hand maybe.

yes... i didnt say buy new mah.. :bsmilie:

2nd hands are quite high price because of the demand also. i believe Apple have Dual G5 for sale if you want thou.... :)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all valuable feedbacks, It's good to see the forum is working well in sharing knowledge.

Many thanks, your input actually clear up a lot of my doubts. :)

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.