Digital Cams

Status
Not open for further replies.

fevernova

Aug 12, 2003
Marina Bay
Visit site
I am currently stuck between these choices of digital cameras.

MINOLTA DiMAGE A1
NIKON 5700
Fujifilm S7000

All the three of these digital camera's are around the top range for each manufacturer. I am stuck between these three cameras and would like to know which has the better overall performance. Also, which camera would have the best expansion capability like the add on of filters or lenses. Thanks.

Personally, i would go for Nikon 5700.

it has very good expansion set available...im sure you have read the reviews of the camera... its good!! :thumbsup:
and to think of the resale market value... i think nikon products is generally better than the other brands you mention...!

just my personal opinion and suggestion ;)
cheers

Just to qualify that I own an A1. I agree with the post that Nikon has better resale value but I eventually went for A1 vs 5700 or S7000. Go with your heart. You must like the feel of the camera in your hand. I went down to the stores to have a touch at all three cameras and fell in love with A1 almost instantly. I am not really bothered by the resale as I don't really buy it to know that I would like to sell it later but I made my choice based on the features of the camera. Its just like buying a 300D. Eventually, you will want an upgrade and grow into a 10D if yo are think of a DSLR that is. I think after some comparisons and reviews read the A1 would allow me to grow into photography more. The anti-shake makes this camera unique. You will have to use it to know it. Tripods? - May not be required in some cases due to its anti-shake feature.

tbteng said:
Go with your heart. You must like the feel of the camera in your hand.
Very good statement. :thumbsup: Really hope this tread don't degrade into another brand flaming war.

Coolpix 5700 is the most sluggish camera I have ever tried. But then again, go with your heart.

I compared 5700 against 7Hi few months back (http://www.geocities.com/bramanteperkasa/ ) have a look there. If youthink 5700 is too inferior compared to 7Hi, than A1 will be much better. If you think 5700 is good enough, than go for it.

Also, since the fujifilm S7000 has 6.2 effective megapixels, wouldn't the quality of the shot be better than that of Minolta's A1 ?? Moreover, the A1 does not seem to have mounts to fit wide converters or teleconverters on it. Correct me if i am wrong.

Do not be misled by the megapixels in a camera. I believe most of the folks in CS will tell you that a good camera is one that integrates all points of technology together and not one that has a high megapixel. Well the megapixel does play a part but its the image processing that matters. And images by S7000 may not necessary be better than the 3.2 megapixel S602z. Unless you are going for RAW or Tiff all the while in which I do not think so, image processing is important. It affects your final output.

On the part of shooting wide, A1's lens is already wide by itself. Check out Dpreview and compare the 3 cameras. A1 seems to have the widest lens. In the prosumer "wide" range, it only loses out to Oly C5060.

On the teleconverter, I suppose the 7x on the A1 or the 6x on the fuji and 8x on the Nikon would already be sufficient to handle most situations. If you like macro like me, just buy a close-up filter with +4 to increase your zoom power. You'll get all the joy and it cost less then 20 bucks.

No offence but if you are really looking for full flexibility on mounting different types of teleconverters, then a prosumer may not be what you are looking for. You should be looking at DSLRs instead.

fevernova said:
I am currently stuck between these choices of digital cameras.

MINOLTA DiMAGE A1
NIKON 5700
Fujifilm S7000

All the three of these digital camera's are around the top range for each manufacturer. I am stuck between these three cameras and would like to know which has the better overall performance. Also, which camera would have the best expansion capability like the add on of filters or lenses. Thanks.

I would take the A1 ( in fact, I bought one in Oct ). Reasons :

o Good image quality with low noise ( as do the other 2 cameras ).
o Image stablizer. Great feature. No other prosumer camera has this. This is very useful in dim light or when shooting at the telephoto end.
o Wide angle 28mm.
o Useful focal range 28-200
o Great ergonomics
o Twist-style, very fast zooming, just like a SLR.
o Very fast AF.

fevernova said:
Also, since the fujifilm S7000 has 6.2 effective megapixels, wouldn't the quality of the shot be better than that of Minolta's A1 ?? Moreover, the A1 does not seem to have mounts to fit wide converters or teleconverters on it. Correct me if i am wrong.

While many other digicam needs a lens adaptor for the wide angle/teleconverter,
A1 already has a 49mm filter thread that can take the converters directly (a step up ring might be needed though). The same can't be said about the 5700. In fact, the 5700 is probably out classed here. It is more like comparing a Nikon F801 to a Minolta Dynax 7.....

Some of the neat features I like about Minolta A1 is the mechanical zoom & the "anti-shake" technology. Me thinks anti-shake will help a great deal in taking better photos for beginners. But then again, he/she might never learn the skill of holding a camera well if he/she uses the anti-shake function all the time.

For Nikon 5700... Hmm, it's been out for quite some time already & it's still a hot choice today. But if I'm to compare it with the newly launched S7000, I'd go for 5700 still. Personal opinion, the 2 cameras are almost on par, but 5700 won my preference, cos it's got the swivel LCD! ;p

You might wanna consider the yet-to-be-released Sony F828. It's got the mechanical 7X zoom like the Minolta A1, it's got 8 MP & it said to be the prosumer camera with the least shutter lag so far. The price for it should be about the same as Minolta A1.

Do also take note of the shutter of the A1. Its 1/16,000. Yes 1 over a whopping 16,000 as indicated in in information sheet. This comes in handing in a lot of situations

tbteng said:
Do also take note of the shutter of the A1. Its 1/16,000. Yes 1 over a whopping 16,000 as indicated in in information sheet. This comes in handing in a lot of situations

Well usually slower shutter speeds maybe more useful since u would take night scenes, etc. Super high shutter speeds are mainly for sports and fast-paced wildlife shoots. If u dun do it, then the 1/16,000 is not applicable. But then again, it's good to have........

fevernova said:

If you want wide, marco, telephoto ..... I suggest you get the Canon 300D instead. You can change to whatever lens that fits you the most. The price of a Canon 300D is a bout the price of an A1 anyway.

ask yourself if you ever want to change lens, although the minolta a1 has 28-200mm view angles. also, find out the aperture the camera offers - may be useful to help to bokeh out distracting elements - but digicompact cameras have a deeper DOF compared to slr/dslrs.

blurblock said:
If you want wide, marco, telephoto ..... I suggest you get the Canon 300D instead. You can change to whatever lens that fits you the most. The price of a Canon 300D is a bout the price of an A1 anyway.
Sure, you can have the flexibility of interchangeable lenses, but don't forget to factor in the cost of the lenses, some of which can easily cost as much as either an A1 or 300D alone. Budget is an important factor also, if you have a limited budget or are unwilling to spend, a prosumer-class digicam might be a more prudent choice.

Actually, what I want is a prosumer camera with a good amount of features and also be flexible enough to handle most of the different kinds of shootings. Like Macro to sports so on.....Also, I need one with a slightly wider viewing angle. A camera that can take really pleasant and good pics ( in the sense of pic clarity and resolution....) . A camra that I can grow with as I progress into the more advanced stages of photography. the 300D tough of good price does not satisfy the above mentioned conditions because of the need to buy many different kind of lenses. Morover, the aperture setting of the 300D is not ergronomical at all. At least the A1 gives you two knobs, one for shutter speed and the other for aperture setting but the 300D doesnt seem to have that. I would like a camera with easy to access functions too. Thus I am now down to two choices: the S7000 and the A1.

I think you have some misunderstandings on the 300D. 300D is a DSLR, that means it is primarily an SLR. An SLR normally has A,S,M,P modes. If you want to adjust aperture value, you can use A mode. An SLR comes with all the functions that a prosumer camera can provide and more. Don't be confused by the "macro, portrait, sports... modes since they are only gimmicks by the manufacturers.
Talking about image quality, there is no match between a prosumer digicam and a DSLR. Even such a good A1 and the budget 300D.
The only "bad" thing about DSLR is you need to purchase lenses which can be costly.

Status
Not open for further replies.