digital cameras!

Status
Not open for further replies.

snapme-

Oct 3, 2005
hi guys

need some help here. i've been fiddling with the idea of taking photography as a hobby for a long time now, and i want to get a digital camera. not anything too expensive though, still a student here and besides, not sure whether or not i can sustain interest. preferably around the range of S$300-400 plus, 4 MP with at least 3X optical zoom. any good recommendations?

Maybe you can try the CANON Powershot A510(3.2 MP) or A520(4MP). They come relativley cheap and offer manual controls, which you'll appreciate as you advance in your photography skills.

Also can try the Panasonic LS1 (4MP) for $359 at Courts or Best Denki (last i saw). The optical image stabiliser is a bonus for such a cheap camera. But no manual control like the Powershots.

These cameras are good enough for your to start off on Photog. Hope this helps'[/FONT
]

visit www.dpreview.com for a rough idea wad each brand's strengths & weaknesses r.

my personal preferance is Panasonic.;p LS1 may b on ur pre-selection list?;)

Glad you are taking an interest in photography.

Perhaps, if you have got friends or family members who owns cameras, you could try out those first to see if you like it. You could also check out http://dpreview.com/ for comparisons of the various available cameras to make an informed choice.

I am sure that the more experienced photographers could share with you their experiences and give some good recommendations, if you could perhaps share on more on how you intend to use the camera.

I started out borrowing from my dad and friends who own SLR. ;p

yupp, the panasonic LS1 is indeed the top of my list now. however, i have one query. is it powerd by lithium ion batteries or AA batteries? because when i visited cnetasia, it told me that the camera was powered by lit ion batts, whereas dpreview showed that it was powered by AA batts. personally, i would prefer lit ion batts.

i checked www.panasonic.com.sg liao it says LS1 uses oxyride batt so should b AA-sized batts.

can further confirm if u go shop 2 enquire.

the LS1 is powered by 2 AA batts. (Panasonic gives a pair of its Oxyride batteries in the box)

Personally, I prefer AAs for my digital compacts. Most composition is done using the LCD screen on digital compacts and this eats up lots of battery power. Here's where the advantage of AAs come in. You can just pop into any convienience stall to get Energizers if your rechargeable AAs should run flat on you while you're on holiday. You dont need to rush home to charge your batteries just so you can continue to use your camera. As for Li-ions, you certainly cant do that.

Mustafa has really cheap rechargeable batteries. Recommend the Panasonic Quick charger (2hr)that comes with 4x 2500mAh batteries. Cost ard 40 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.