Digital Camera

Can someone help me with this few terms which i always saw it in the website, what do they really mean?:)
Closest Focus Distance (Wide Angle) (cm)
Closest Focus Distance (Telephoto) (cm)

For shutter speed, i read they go by 1/1000 of a seconds but what does the 15 mean from 15 - 1/2500sec?:D

And when they say flash range it mean the range that the flash can reached?:)

What r the different between shooting, scene and capture mode? what does it mean/does?:(

Thanks in advance ^^:cool:

Can someone help me with this few terms which i always saw it in the website, what do they really mean?:)
Closest Focus Distance (Wide Angle) (cm)
Closest Focus Distance (Telephoto) (cm)

For shutter speed, i read they go by 1/1000 of a seconds but what does the 15 mean from 15 - 1/2500sec?:D

And when they say flash range it mean the range that the flash can reached?:)

What r the different between shooting, scene and capture mode? what does it mean/does?:(

Thanks in advance ^^:cool:

Er. It's all quite clear. The words say it all...

1. It means, what is the closest you can get to a subject at wide angle and at full telephoto (min/max "zoom") and the camera can still focus.

2. Shutter speed - means it can be from 15 seconds to 1/2500 second.

3. Yes. Logical, right?

4. Read up on the websites of the manufacturer. You'll see various interpretations, though it could mean you get some manual controls, full auto, or sunset/nighttime/portrait/landscape scenes, etc.

Er. It's all quite clear. The words say it all...

1. It means, what is the closest you can get to a subject at wide angle and at full telephoto (min/max "zoom") and the camera can still focus.

2. Shutter speed - means it can be from 15 seconds to 1/2500 second.

3. Yes. Logical, right?

4. Read up on the websites of the manufacturer. You'll see various interpretations, though it could mean you get some manual controls, full auto, or sunset/nighttime/portrait/landscape scenes, etc.

Thanks Rashkae for the explanation ;) i am a bit confuse with the shutter speed, when i google it is always the denominator that change, like 1/800, 1/1600, how do i apply it to that e.g 15/2500?

Ok..from what i gather, those modes r like pre-defined setting, like selecting those aperture, shutter speed etc automatic for u for that given mode right?:D

Thanks Rashkae for the explanation ;) i am a bit confuse with the shutter speed, when i google it is always the denominator that change, like 1/800, 1/1600, how do i apply it to that e.g 15/2500?

Ok..from what i gather, those modes r like pre-defined setting, like selecting those aperture, shutter speed etc automatic for u for that given mode right?:D

15/2500 = 3/500 = 1/166.666 and would approximate to 1/150s

these numbers are all seconds. 1/800 s = 0.00125s.

15/2500 = 3/500 = 1/166.666 and would approximate to 1/150s

these numbers are all seconds. 1/800 s = 0.00125s.

Thanks for the explanation ;) btw how does touch screen compare to other that need to adjust the "button" on the camera? because i find that those on the camera 1 r prone to tear and wear, like become more loose.

Thanks for the explanation ;) btw how does touch screen compare to other that need to adjust the "button" on the camera? because i find that those on the camera 1 r prone to tear and wear, like become more loose.

All up to you and your personal preference. Me, I prefer actual buttons. and I have severely abused some PnS cameras and never had any buttons "become more loose". By the time a camera gets to that point, can throw away already.

Thanks :) hmm..from what i see the few spect that need to take note will be the focal length, ISO, shutter speed and aperture? how will a camera with or without telephoto affect the price by a lot or..?

normally the prices from the official website(canon, sony, nikon etc..) r always much expensive?

Thanks :) hmm..from what i see the few spect that need to take note will be the focal length, ISO, shutter speed and aperture? how will a camera with or without telephoto affect the price by a lot or..?

normally the prices from the official website(canon, sony, nikon etc..) r always much expensive?

It is not a real factor in pricing...

In the end it is the entire package. Sensor size also affects pricing. build also affects pricing.. IQ also affects pricing. Lots of things. Hard to put finger on the few factors only.

It is not a real factor in pricing...

In the end it is the entire package. Sensor size also affects pricing. build also affects pricing.. IQ also affects pricing. Lots of things. Hard to put finger on the few factors only.

What do u mean by IQ? Image Quality?:D

Usually people or even us photographers go for either Canon or Nikon. Most photographers uses Canon S90 / S95 for their casual shooting. While comparing both (Canon Vs Nikon). Nikon has better noise capabilities and it'll be good if you're taking group photos or photos of people in a very dim environment. Canon on the other hand, has better performance at shooting things (Buildings, Scenery etc...).

You're talking about Sony vs Lumix:
I never actually tried their PnS cameras before, but I find that Lumix cameras is more durable in built and system. Sony always gives people problem, thus the image quality isn't that good. That is.... judging by what I see both of them by built and images.
NOTE: Lumix & Sony not as good as Nikon & Canon

Hope it helps. :D

This wins the 'STATEMENT OF THE YEAR' award. ROFL. My favourite part,

"Canon on the other hand, has better performance at shooting things (Buildings, Scenery etc...). "

this guys a legend...

This wins the 'STATEMENT OF THE YEAR' award. ROFL. My favourite part,

"Canon on the other hand, has better performance at shooting things (Buildings, Scenery etc...). "

this guys a legend...

Yup. I think we could write a 2-page essay picking apart every sentence he wrote.

It seems this week there is a flood of "no knowledge" newbies trying to act as gurus and shooting themselves in the foot.

what is the different between powershot n ixus? at first i thought powershot has more powerful zoom than ixus but after looking at the canon website, it doesn't seem that way.

Hmm..which r the most trusted places to buy camera?..n maybe cheaper?:D

My 2 cents...
When I select a PnS, I usually have a few KEY factor/feature I wanna gun for.
1, ZOOM (how many times, i.e. X 5 ,or X 10 or .... Optical or Digital Zoom)
2, Do I want additional manual control (i.e. PowerShot, with that dial that like DSLR, can do a lot, but tt time, no one to guide, after some trying, I give up ; p )
3, Image stabilizer (different brand have different way of calling, but to me, personally either Optical or Digital Image Stabilizer).
4, Video recording (what kind of standard U want, HD or just normal or what).
5, Maybe size of the camera (those super slim & light, can put on the shirt pocket type).

If you have some of these die die must have feature, then it will help you to short list about 5 - 10 model from all brand, then go shop play play, touch touch, see if you like the menu or user interface. (i.e. Different brand have different naming convention etc).

Oh, my last purchase very straight forwards, WATER Resistance. (so that I can shoot my kids in the pool ; p )
So end up with very very limited choice (which is good, easy for me to select).

Ok. Don't shoot me if I use any wrong word hor... Just wanna share my selection criteria.

And where did you get that nonsensical idea from? :eek:

I hope you meant it as a joke. If you really believe that, my condolences.

sheeks, Just an impression as they are more established in camera market. :sweat:

Huh???? LOL

That is so ridiculous... I don't even know what to say. And your thoughts... wah. No link. I'm stunned, I don't even know where to start.

Sorry Senior, 小弟 here don't have much experience in other brands comapred to you. :sweat: I sound like a fanboy huh... But to add on, those big brands are expensive while at that price, you can actually get quite decent Lumix PnS. Saw some at funan.

thanks battle for ur 2 cents :)

hmm..newbie here need some help from expert/s here again regarding the following questions. Please help ;)

1. Only sony n Olympus have the panorama function?

2. Only sony have the handheld twilight mode?

3. Does the panorama need some editing like stitching to make it nicer or directly from the panorama will do?

4. For me, handheld twilight is like the same with having longer shutter duration(don know got use the correct term or not ;))?

Thanks in advance ;):sweat:

thanks battle for ur 2 cents :)

hmm..newbie here need some help from expert/s here again regarding the following questions. Please help ;)

1. Only sony n Olympus have the panorama function?

2. Only sony have the handheld twilight mode?

3. Does the panorama need some editing like stitching to make it nicer or directly from the panorama will do?

4. For me, handheld twilight is like the same with having longer shutter duration(don know got use the correct term or not ;))?

Thanks in advance ;):sweat:

1. Right now, I think so, yup.
2. Canon has something similar too (their compact cameras use Sony sensors too)
3. No, you also can't re-stitch it since it's already done for you. But out of cam will do nicely.
4. No, it's takes 6 pictures and stacks them together to remove noise. It's not the same as long exposure.

NOTE:
Most photographers uses Canon S90 / S95 for their casual shooting......

........Lumix & Sony not as good as Nikon & Canon

not true on both counts ......back it up with facts...

Infraction served... for attempting to start brand war

Last edited: