Digital Camera for Night Use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jestin

Jul 19, 2005
Singapore
jestine.multiply.com
Hi people...:)

I'm wondering which camera model will you recommend if looking for a camera with excellent night usage?

I'm currently looking for 1.. for personal use but preferably, with such functions so that pics can be taken nicely even at night.

Budget wise, 500-750. :dunno:
Design, perhaps a sleek design. ;)

Cheerios :thumbsup:

The champ would be the fujifilm finepix f10... no lumix is capable of doing it yet

Had a nikon digicam (Coolpix 3500) previously. The camera is good basically, only that it doesn't really take good photos at night or at darker areas. Its either i on flash, being able to shoot people, but no surroundings.

hehe..

fujifilm digicams uses xD card? didn't really prefer tat..

I wouldn't choose 'Panasonic' for nightshots if u ask me. Don't get me wrong guys, I do own panasonic digicams like fz1, lumix, etc. I just find Panasonic is without the nightshot edge. Better off getting olympus canon or sony.

Talking about cheap cameras only here...

I think Fuji is good. if you plan to take alot of low light photos then i'd recommend Fuji.

*shrug olympus and canon i actually feel they perform much worse than panasonic (photo quality wise), but they sure got much better features. You can see much how the images would look before you take a photo. Panasonic can't. thus if you take frequent night shots, Canon would be a better bet (if u choose to ignore Fuji). at 600 u can pick up a canon A85 or something.. gives u full manual control, even manual focus. screen is kinda small though. focusing is not bad. but noise.. can be improved, but not bad..

nikon got their new feature though.. this artificial flash. a gimick though. does what you can do on photoshop. and all their cheaper cameras feel like toys. dun haf sync flash i think..

for me.
My FZ5 can focus correctly 60% of the time in close to complete darkness without AF assist. Close to 99% with AF Assist (if subject not toooo far).
Taking at 5MP, i downsize to 1280 x 1024 (i doubt more than 10% of the people here use a higher resolution than me.) i don't see much noise at ISO400. After print out also can't really tell noise.

heh the fuji F10 is slik.. small.. and superb at nightshot. some site even compared it's iso 1600 to D70's 1600. not very far off.

unseen said:
heh the fuji F10 is slik.. small.. and superb at nightshot. some site even compared it's iso 1600 to D70's 1600. not very far off.

yah, if I have extra cash, i did buy the F10 as a pocket p&s to supplement the FZ5..
all problems solved for several different shooting scenarios

come to think of it, did some1 mentioned fuji f10? the sleek, tiny great low light cam? then no contest.

Fuji F10 lor.. best pocket P&S right now.
Dont know if Sony or Panasonic can match.
I dont like Sony coz of memory sticks

correct me if i'm wrong, but too bad no prosumers cam are capable of F10 capabilities...let's just wait and see for future prosumers development...

I would like to get the F10 too, but the xD card...:nono:

cLarbRyan said:
correct me if i'm wrong, but too bad no prosumers cam are capable of F10 capabilities...let's just wait and see for future prosumers development...

I would like to get the F10 too, but the xD card...:nono:

how about the S9000?

apparently, quite a no. of people having lens dust probs with their F10, head over to Fujifilm forums to take a look.

Get any camera and use a tripod. :D

jestin said:
Use a tripod will aid for night / dark shoots? :?

Yes, use any camera and tripod and slow shutter will be able to take night shot of still subjects like example below. But if u want to take moving subjects like people walking, using tripod won't help liao, need good flash or high ISO or both.

This shot is taken with tripod around 7:50pm, sky almost completely dark, shutter around 30secs (can't remember).
http://gallery.clubsnap.com/showphoto.php/photo/28317/size/big/ppuser/19379

The original question was not clear, what is the meaning of night usage? and I am assuming you only want Point and Shoot camera.

To take long exposure shots? You need camera with Manual mode and tripot

To take shots in low light and don't want to use flash light: You need high speed lense (Panasonic FZ series with constant F2.8), and low noise at high ISO setting (Example Fuji F-10).

You don't mind using flash, but when it is too dark it is very difficult to frame the object, some P&S camera, does not have optical view finder (they only have EVF), you can't frame and focus the object: Minimum you need P&S camera with optical view finder because human eyes has better low light sensitivities and also AF assist. The best camera for such situation are Sony F717, V1: These camera have very special feature call night framing.

In night framing mode, the camera flip up the infra-red filter and turn on the infra-red light, to help you do the picture framing, when pressing the shutter button, it go back to normal mode and the AF assist light turn on to help focusing, finally the camera take the picture with flash light and you get excellence picture: Good framing, good Focus and bright picture. Both Sony models are having hot shoe to house a more powerful external flash.

These are the cameras I am currently having: Fuji 602Z, Sony V1, Panasonic FZ1, (owned FZ10 before and sold away), Canon A40, Minolta X20, Nikon D70 and D50.

All of them have unique features that suits difference situation. But off course the DSLR will be able to handle all situations with various kind of lenses. However each DSLR lense is the price of one P&S camera.

Fuji 602 is very fast response camera, low noise up to ISO400, but hard to frame and focus at low light.

Sony V1 is small size, with Night framing and night shot mode, but battery life sucks.

Pana FZ1 has the best lens, again it is bad for low light shotting (hard to frame and focus)

Minolta X20 is very handly and small, the best feature about it is using 2 AA battery, that you can buy battery from every where when running out of joice.

Nikon D70/50 are good but too big to carry around.

Status
Not open for further replies.