Digital Camera during Winter ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.

missbean

Oct 8, 2003
Hi people,

I'm flying off to Germany soon and will be spending cold winter (will have snow, temperature will dip below 0 degree C) there for quite some time. I am thinking of getting a digital camera to take indoor as well as outdoor pictures(planning go skiing as well :p ). However, I'm not sure is it advisable to take the digicam? Will the harsh winter spoil the camera? Or will a conventional one be better? Pls advise.Tks!

cold weather won't affect the digicam. but it WILL affect battery life (which would drain much much faster).

I think u should get the conan 1d mark 2. The weather will affect on the preformance on the digital camera. Because camera must work in a temperature range. If the camera can take pics at a cold weather then the design of the camera bady is very solid. It body will protect the electronic part in the camera. So think twice or 3rd or 4th times before buying camera.

TITANIUMLEE said:
I think u should get the conan 1d mark 2. The weather will affect on the preformance on the digital camera. Because camera must work in a temperature range. If the camera can take pics at a cold weather then the design of the camera bady is very solid. It body will protect the electronic part in the camera. So think twice or 3rd or 4th times before buying camera.
titaniumlee, i think i know what you're talking about but i don't think you need to get specifically the Canon 1D Mk2. i've seen reports of Canon IXUS being used in Siberia during snow storms, and the Nikon D100 being brought up to Mt Everest... extreme low temperatures don't affect sensors as much as battery power. in fact, the sensors should work even better, giving lower image noise at high ISOs if i'm not wrong.

Larry said:
cold weather won't affect the digicam. but it WILL affect battery life (which would drain much much faster).

i dont think the battery will drain faster.... just that at cold temperatures, the atoms and ions which carry charge are more reluctant to move. thus there seems to be no power... but all will be restored when the batteries are warmed... thus, the battery is not drained (empty) but rather the power stored is rendered unusable.

missbean said:
Hi people,

I'm flying off to Germany soon and will be spending cold winter

what winter .... :dunno:

spring time there at the moment heading into summer.

maybe going to highlands?

Like showtime mentioned,

The batteries are not actually drained. When shooting in cold temperatures, it helps to have an extra set of battries. When the first set are unuseable, keep them in your coat close to your body. This will warm the batteries up while you use the extra set.

You then interchange the batteries whenever they can't be used till they are flat. Your body warmth should make the batteries useable again till the "freeze" up again.

How about the 300D? does it stands up to sub zero degrees? and how does sub zero effect the performance on the Lens?

Dun worry too much about the cold weather thingy...These devices are made to withstand extreme condition.
Just think about it, those ppl who live in cold countries also using more or less the same electronic devices as the rest of us tropical inhabitants...:)
Well, unless u bring ur camera up to Mt. Everest or something... :eek:

My 10D worked normally on my recent winter trip to Beijing on sub zero condition...Even on top of Great Wall where the temp would be much lower, I didn't even tuck it inside my jacket...:p

Lenses will just be working like normal, just be careful of the sudden temperature changes, tat will result in condensation or fogging inside the lens & camera...As others had mentioned, bring more batts, swap them accordingly...Those half-dead ions inside need to warm up a bit to return to their operation state... :D

tat, brings me to another question, in situation where there is a sudden temperature change,

eg: u r in a very cool aircon room for a extent priod of time with your cam, and then you go out to the hot singapore weather.

I notice there is come condensation or fogging inside the lens... which evaporate after a while, will this affect the camera in anyways? cos lens are better left in dry place right? and the condensation are water droplets from the air...

just to share some tips. When I was in japan during winter, I have prepared a small bag with 2 pocket hand warmers inside. Then I will put in my spare batteries in between the hand warmers. :D

lingfoo said:
tat, brings me to another question, in situation where there is a sudden temperature change,

eg: u r in a very cool aircon room for a extent priod of time with your cam, and then you go out to the hot singapore weather.

I notice there is come condensation or fogging inside the lens... which evaporate after a while, will this affect the camera in anyways? cos lens are better left in dry place right? and the condensation are water droplets from the air...

Like you said its condensation. So technically the moisture is already in the air, just that its exists as that state. A sudden change in temperatureis what caused the condensation. After a while, the moisture returns to its initial state of moisture in the air.

So i'll not worry abt that cos its not as if you are pouring water on your camera or something...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.