Digital Cam recommendation for budget of $700

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

Oxygen

Hi,
Have been intending to get a digital camera and have been reading the posts here as well as the reviews on the net, mainly from dpreview.com as well as steves-digicams.com. Any other good digital cam review sites? At first I intended to get a simple point and shoot camera as I'm not one that knows how to play with all those manual stuff. Have been considering the Canon A20 and the Fuji FinePix2800z

But as I surfed more and more, kind of get more interested and thinking maybe should spend a bit of money to get one with manual features so that in case I get interested then dun need to spend more $ to get a manual camera. Kind of settled on the casio QV2x00 series due to the manual functions as well as the swivel base which I think is quite useful. Wanna ask what differences are there between the QV2900 and 2400 besides the different optical zoom. How about the 2800? Also, wouldn't mind any other recommendations and comments for other brands/models. Anyone knows roughly how much the different models cost?

Finally, is it worthwhile to buy a package? like but an extra cf card at the same time? Or can I simply buy later? Thanx

Ehh ... personally I feel megapixel.net has really in depth reviews ... another review site wld be dcresource.com ... continue later ... work lagging behind ... bozz kao peh liaoz :what:

Do lots of read up to find out what you really wanted...

Abt the add-on, you might get it a bit cheaper but not by much.. Think it save you additional trip rather than money more..

If some items like a bigger CF is not needed, maybe you wann hold it 1st.

I am using a medium size CF and it is enough for me at the moment.
Will buy more if I see one selling very cheaply or buy before an overseas trip or a "lots-of-photos" function. :)

Cos electronic things will fall in price rather quickly.

Backz ... haben own the 2900 long enuff to really tell you much ... but from the feedback and reviews ... the one major setback wld be the lack of a view finder ... as this is my first digicam ... I am unable to tell u the diff ... prolly sup batteries like water ... but I haf already more or less adapted to framing picz via the LCD ... another dat might bother u is the LCD is really grainy in low light conditions ... but I feel its a nice cam to haf for a newbie who wanz a PnS cam and wld like to be able to go further on in this hobby in the future

Later~ ... me gtg go home liaoz~ ... mpenza can prolly tell u more abt the 2900 ... but he's away sumwhere on holiz ...

FP2800 is essentially a P&S camera. I must say it does a very good job at that. Not much manual settings to play with. Not good under dim conditions.

Originally posted by Simplicity
Backz ... haben own the 2900 long enuff to really tell you much ... but from the feedback and reviews ... the one major setback wld be the lack of a view finder ... as this is my first digicam ... I am unable to tell u the diff ... prolly sup batteries like water ... but I haf already more or less adapted to framing picz via the LCD ... another dat might bother u is the LCD is really grainy in low light conditions ... but I feel its a nice cam to haf for a newbie who wanz a PnS cam and wld like to be able to go further on in this hobby in the future

Later~ ... me gtg go home liaoz~ ... mpenza can prolly tell u more abt the 2900 ... but he's away sumwhere on holiz ...

Wonder how much u spent for the camera? Also me considering between the 2900 and 2400. Any idea what's the price difference? From the specs think the only diff's is one is 3X zoom and one is 8X zoom rite? Dun think i'll use such powerful zoom often, so thinking more of the 2400 to save $

2400 has a faster lens, which means the exposure need not be as long as the 2900 when the lighting is dark.

2900 has an external flash sync. It allows you to attach external flash and sync via PC cord.

The lens of 2400 extends. So you need to get an external adaptor to add filters, lens.

The zoom of the 2900 would be useful for taking pictures of animals, birds, etc.

Originally posted by Oxygen

Wonder how much u spent for the camera? Also me considering between the 2900 and 2400. Any idea what's the price difference? From the specs think the only diff's is one is 3X zoom and one is 8X zoom rite? Dun think i'll use such powerful zoom often, so thinking more of the 2400 to save $

I dun really noe the price for the 2400 ... although I read in one of the olfer threads dat it was considerably cheaper~ ... but dat was sum time ago ... u might wanna call the shops up to check~ ... I got the 2900 for 775 wif gst ... errr ... 690 for the cam 85 for an additional 128 Ridata CF ... prolly not the best price ... shld b able to push it further ... they were closing as its was getting late and I need to rush off to find a tablet b4 the other shops close ... so I din push it down further ... ohhh they might gif freebies ... they gaf me a camera case and a UV filter ... not fish prawn also goot :)

price is not bad mah.... I paid >$800 for what you got.

anyway, 2400 is about $100 cheaper.

why not C2040?

Originally posted by fcpga
why not C2040?

Second that.
Olym C2040z has a good lens. Cost < $700.

Originally posted by mpenza
Yup, C2040 is a good buy at $750..... get it if you want a fast lens.
Is the swivel lens and the x6 zoom lens that attract me to the qv2900. Is the slow lens of the qv2900 a major problem? In what conditions will it be a problem and how often will that be?

Originally posted by Oxygen

Is the swivel lens and the x6 zoom lens that attract me to the qv2900. Is the slow lens of the qv2900 a major problem? In what conditions will it be a problem and how often will that be?

Should be 8x zoom lens for the Casio DC, not 6x.

The F3.2 lens should not be a probelm under most daylight situation, but under artificail light, the shutter might have to stay open a bit longer loh.

Night shots also will have to use (much) longer shutter speed vs the faster F1.8 on the C-2040z.

Not too sure if the John 3:16 offer($750 with freebies) still have.. but Alan Photo is selling Oly 2040 at $650.

Take note that this is just the camera and a very small capacity memory...

You need to at least add in price for a charger, rechargeable battery and maybe a 64 or 128meg SM...

you may want to wait till the photo event in US ended early next week to see if there are any new models coming out

Status
Not open for further replies.