Digital Basic Photography by the Photographic Society of Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamade

Jun 19, 2003
West
gallery.ta-ma-de.org
Hi,

Not exactly a newbie, but I never went through any formal basic photography training. Just those free training by Canon that came with my cameras. Wondering if it's worthwhile to attend the Digital Basic Photography by PSS?

For those who had attended it before, could you share your experiences and opinions whether is it worthwhile?

Cheers! :bsmilie:

hi tamade

if its basic digital knowledge, techniques, how to appreciate patterns, perspectives and framing n composition, etc, this is a good course. i attended it. and it has helped kick start my fundamentals.

but of course, if you are hardworking enough, it helps by reading books and looking at the photos of masters as well as practitioners...

cheers.

PSS has another course Digital Compact Camera Basic Photography. Do you know their differences? Which is a more appropriate one to attend? Do they've field trips or its just classroom lessons throughout?

tamade said:
PSS has another course Digital Compact Camera Basic Photography. Do you know their differences? Which is a more appropriate one to attend? Do they've field trips or its just classroom lessons throughout?

Hi there,

Maybe you can check out the course module outline for
Digital Basic Photography Course
Digital Compact Camera Basic Photography.

If you are using a dSLR or thinking of getting one, then it is better that you attend the Digital Basic Photography Course.
If you are using a compact or prosumer, Digital Compact Camera Basic Photography is more appropriate.

Both also have field outing. For the Digital Basic Photography, there is 2 outings in total (1 day shoot, 1 night shoot). For Digital Compact Camera Basic Photography, I think that there is 1 outing only.

Francis247 said:
Welcome.
Maybe you can try to drop by PSS to check out their courses available or speak to some of the instructors or staffs for assistance. Hope that help.

If I'm going by MRT, would be it the shortest path that I take to Dhoby Ghaut and then walk my way there?

tamade said:
If I'm going by MRT, would be it the shortest path that I take to Dhoby Ghaut and then walk my way there?

Yup. Of course you can always take the bus but it only one stop from Dhoby Ghaut MRT to the nearest bus stop from PSS.

tamade said:
Great. Asked another friend to join also, hopefully can make it for the Nov class. :D

November class already??? :bigeyes:
That is fast. I know that their Digital Basic Photography class is usually run out quite fast.
Here is my suggestion to you. If you want, do take up the membership and sign up for a few other courses too. If you are in time, try to go for the LPSS title too.

Francis247 said:
November class already??? :bigeyes:
That is fast. I know that their Digital Basic Photography class is usually run out quite fast.
Here is my suggestion to you. If you want, do take up the membership and sign up for a few other courses too. If you are in time, try to go for the LPSS title too.

There're still slots for the coming months, but both of us can only make it in Nov earliest. Yep, intending to take up the membership as it does give great savings. What is the LPSS title? Could you elaborate more on it?

tamade said:
There're still slots for the coming months, but both of us can only make it in Nov earliest. Yep, intending to take up the membership as it does give great savings. What is the LPSS title? Could you elaborate more on it?

I see.
For the title, there are 3 levels of distinctions. The Society awards the PSS distinctions in recognition of good and outstanding standards in the techniques and science of photography.

LPSS - PSS Licentiateship
APSS - PSS Associateship
FPSS - PSS Fellowship

You can follow the attached links to understand more of the title distinction.

Francis247 said:
I see.
For the title, there are 3 levels of distinctions. The Society awards the PSS distinctions in recognition of good and outstanding standards in the techniques and science of photography.

LPSS - PSS Licentiateship
APSS - PSS Associateship
FPSS - PSS Fellowship

You can follow the attached links to understand more of the title distinction.

Wow, thats interesting! Let me see, if I could take the course in November, I could probably make it for LPSS since the deadline is 31st Dec. Many thanks for the information. :D

tamade said:
Wow, thats interesting! Let me see, if I could take the course in November, I could probably make it for LPSS since the deadline is 31st Dec. Many thanks for the information. :D

No problem. Just another suggestion, you can take up the Art Of Seeing course in the midst of doing your Digital Basic Photography course. That will give you enough photos for selection for the LPSS submission.

Francis247 said:
No problem. Just another suggestion, you can take up the Art Of Seeing course in the midst of doing your Digital Basic Photography course. That will give you enough photos for selection for the LPSS submission.

Guess I'd take it one at a time, not many available weekdays left in a week. :( I would actually prefer taking Travel & Creative Photography.

tamade said:
Guess I'd take it one at a time, not many available weekdays left in a week. :( I would actually prefer taking Travel & Creative Photography.

Hi there,

The Art of Seeing consist of 1 theory lesson, 2 or 3 outings and 1 photo critique and selection session. It will be quite useful.

For the Travel and Creative Photography, that one is also very good. Mr Hui is very experienced. I also hope to take up this one too.

Hi Francis,

I was reading on the PSS site on LPSS, I'm quite puzzled by a few things:

The set shall be first considered by a panel appointed by the Council in May and November of each year. They will report to the Council upon scrutiny of the applications received. The Council then considers each application with the report therein, and elections are made.

But #4 states:

Closing date shall be on 30th April, 31st August, and 31st December of each year. A panel of five examiners shall meet in May, September and January.

So when is the actual timeline for submission? Also, #1 states:

All prints must be properly mounted and no smaller than 30cm x 40cm nor larger than 40cm x 50cm. All slides shall be 5cm x 5cm.

For a print to be 30 cm x 40 cm, how big is it actually? 8R? My S3 is only 6M, would I be able to print out photos of such size without compromising its quality?

Cheers! :D

Hi there,

Let me answer your question one at a time.

tamade said:
Hi Francis,

I was reading on the PSS site on LPSS, I'm quite puzzled by a few things:

The set shall be first considered by a panel appointed by the Council in May and November of each year. They will report to the Council upon scrutiny of the applications received. The Council then considers each application with the report therein, and elections are made.

But #4 states:

Closing date shall be on 30th April, 31st August, and 31st December of each year. A panel of five examiners shall meet in May, September and January.

So when is the actual timeline for submission?

The submission date is still 30th April, 31st August, and 31st December of each year.

tamade said:
Also, #1 states:

All prints must be properly mounted and no smaller than 30cm x 40cm nor larger than 40cm x 50cm. All slides shall be 5cm x 5cm.

For a print to be 30 cm x 40 cm, how big is it actually? 8R? My S3 is only 6M, would I be able to print out photos of such size without compromising its quality?

Cheers! :D

For the submission, IIRC, it should be S8R size. I will help you to ask again. But for the quality-wise. A 6MP should have no problem for S8R size. Hope that helps.

Francis247 said:
Hi there,

Let me answer your question one at a time.

The submission date is still 30th April, 31st August, and 31st December of each year.

For the submission, IIRC, it should be S8R size. I will help you to ask again. But for the quality-wise. A 6MP should have no problem for S8R size. Hope that helps.

Great! Thanks for your help! Actually I'd some photos taken during my last trip in May & June-July, so I thought maybe can meet the 31st August deadline. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.