Digital 4R is NOT 4R?

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Arcanic~

Feb 27, 2005
Westy
Hey all,

I've recently changed to a digital cam, been using my eos 88 for a good many yrs previously...

I went down to Beautiful Memory at Stamford House yesterday, and was told that digital 4Rs (ootherwise known as 4scr(?) can't remember), is not the same as our normal film 4Rs as there will be clipping on the top and bottom of the photo. Is that always the case? So does that mean that if we are gonna take a photo and develop it into 4R, we need to ensure there is more space on the top and bottom of the pic for the clipping...?

And hmm... I was kinda fooled by the LCD screen of the dslr... lolz, I took some pics of a fren, from the LCD screen the face etc looks bright enough, but when i transferred it over to the pc, it turned out to be slightly darker, does that happen to all of u too? :confused: Wah, in this case, next time take pic in dslr, must make sure the pic i see from the lcd is slightly brighter...?

Thanks~

its the ratio your digicam crops at a 4:3 format whereas the 4r is a 3:2 format, so some cropping may occur.

What digicam are you using, prosumer and below is 4:3 format
while dslr is 3:2 format

Good D+P shops will correct the tones for you.

ortega said:
What digicam are you using, prosumer and below is 4:3 format
while dslr is 3:2 format

Good D+P shops will correct the tones for you.

ok... I'm using a 10D anyway, seems like some slight cropping is gonna occur then, interesting why would dslr be 3:2, perhaps too technical already, haha, as long as i know there will be slight cropping done then can.

Yeah, beautiful memory showed me some samples of what they provide... omg... I was quite surprised by the extend of their psing skills, adding smiles when it wasn't there, adding eyes if the eyes are closed, blancing of colour and contrast... :bigeyes:

~Arcanic~ said:
ok... I'm using a 10D anyway, seems like some slight cropping is gonna occur then, interesting why would dslr be 3:2, perhaps too technical already, haha, as long as i know there will be slight cropping done then can.

Yeah, beautiful memory showed me some samples of what they provide... omg... I was quite surprised by the extend of their psing skills, adding smiles when it wasn't there, adding eyes if the eyes are closed, blancing of colour and contrast... :bigeyes:
10D is in ratio of 3:2, the right size for 4R, some DCs can do 3:2 also (like my CP5700) but DCs are mostly 4:3.

Film is 36 x 24 = 3:2. So 10D's sensor is based on film APS size (1.6x smaller) is also 3:2.

I can see you're addicted to BM already ;)

Should be going down soon, I wanna do a A4 print.

espn said:
10D is in ratio of 3:2, the right size for 4R, some DCs can do 3:2 also (like my CP5700) but DCs are mostly 4:3.

Film is 36 x 24 = 3:2. So 10D's sensor is based on film APS size (1.6x smaller) is also 3:2.

I can see you're addicted to BM already ;)

Should be going down soon, I wanna do a A4 print.

Thanks for e advice man, btw, i like ur protrait shots, nice~
I finally understand it (i think?) lolz

As to BM... lolz, not addicted to them "yet" , they do fantastic edit I have to agree, but their prices are also a bit to the higher side, prob will not send my casual shots there, maybe only if I am charging fees for someone then I send them there for developing ba. hehe...

And since while I'm at it, I haven tried using an external flash before :embrass: haha, cos all along i dun take much indoor shots/night shots, so dun see the need to invest on one, and in the past I couldn afford one anyway... So if I'm planning to buy a canon 420ex for e 10D, what would e price range be? Anyone here knows? And is the 420ex a good enough flash to be used for most situations? Say.. ROMs, weddings, dinners, or night time shots etc?

Thanks thanks.

Yeah, they are a bit expensive, but the service & prints come out very good, Sanver doesn't just send for print, he does touch up, noise removal & etc. I mean he doesn't need to do so, but I can see he takes pride in his work. :thumbsup:

420EX will suffice you just nice for most events. Price is about $340-$360 for a new one.

espn, thanks! =)

erm, this is gonna sound REALLY noob already... But i have nvr really used an external flash before, is there anything I should be careful with? I read bits here and there about slow sync etc stuff? Is there any thread here then has details on the uses of an external flash?

Like example, if I use f4.5, 1/250 during an indoor shoot (say maybe a hotel lobby), if I use the direct flash (internal flash from the cam), its gonna "white out" my subjects and make them look ghostly, so if i use a external flash now, should i use a bonuce card or onmi bounce? If the ceiling is lower use bounce card and if its in a lobby with high ceiling use omni bounce? Do i need to adjust my cam settings?

sorry if this sound super noob... haha

Try the Buy and Sell tread for some good deals

About using the flash you need to RTFM first and try it out on your camera.
Canon users, anyone can help him out?

~Arcanic~ said:
espn, thanks! =)

erm, this is gonna sound REALLY noob already... But i have nvr really used an external flash before, is there anything I should be careful with? I read bits here and there about slow sync etc stuff? Is there any thread here then has details on the uses of an external flash?

Like example, if I use f4.5, 1/250 during an indoor shoot (say maybe a hotel lobby), if I use the direct flash (internal flash from the cam), its gonna "white out" my subjects and make them look ghostly, so if i use a external flash now, should i use a bonuce card or onmi bounce? If the ceiling is lower use bounce card and if its in a lobby with high ceiling use omni bounce? Do i need to adjust my cam settings?

sorry if this sound super noob... haha

You may try setting the flash exposure compensation on your 10d.

Flash FAQ

i_r_i_a said:
You may try setting the flash exposure compensation on your 10d.

Flash FAQ

wow! iria thanks! thats a REALLY long faq, but got lotsa info in it, gonna bookmark it and slowly read thro... Too much info to absorb... information overload... haha

hazekang said:
Upz for fellow eos88 user!

gimme five man! lolz... but I've changed to a 10D... though my eos 88 is still very much alive and kicking~~ :cool:

altough your cam takes in 3:2 format, you'd have to be specific to develop in 4R too. Beware, if you accidently ask them to develop in Digi 4R, it is possible too: they will crop away the sides.

Just some experience from printing from the Kodak machine, those you insert the memory card and print yourself type.

I find the pictures in 4:3 format is not only cropped top and bottom but also left and right side. Ok, nevermind.

I cropped the picture myself in PC to 3:2 format, and still top and bottom is cropped, not only that, left and right is also cropped. Still nevermind.

I crop the photo using the machine, I can choose whick part of the picture that I want to include or exclude. Still, the cropping that I select with that machine, the 4 sides cropped.

May be is only that machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.