Digimate II plus - CF card pins bent

Status
Not open for further replies.

asterixsg

May 22, 2006
Somewhere in this creation
I have been using the Digimate II plus portable harddisk (bought in Sim Lim last year). I use it mainly to copy photos during my travels.
I am pretty upset that the pins for the CF card are made of such inferior quality. Even though I am extremely careful while inserting the CF card into the slot, I was surprised to see two pins bent.

digimate-cfcard-pins.jpg

I tried to set them right using a tiny screwdriver, but no luck :angry:

Can you experts suggest what i should do now ? Would you know if the CF card slot alone can be replaced so that I don't have to throw away the entire casing ?

The options I am considering are :
1. Throw away the Digimate II plus casing and get the Digimate III. Use back my 80Gb harddisk with Digimate III.
2. Get a Vosonic casing and use my existing 80Gb harddisk with it.

Any good/bad experiences to share with either of these brands ? I really don't want to touch another Digimate, but hoping that the quality would have improved.

Thanks.

after prolong usage, these things do happen.
the bent usually occurs not during insertion, but on pulling the card out.

u could bring it back to repair, but it won't be worth the money.
i am guessing the CF reader component is soldered into the main board.
repairing it would just warrant a high price

would recommend you get a new casing for the existing hd.
have tried both brands and using the vosonic one currently.
good stuff but more exp.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I checked around in a couple of shops in Sim Lim yesterday - none of them carried the Vosonic brand. And I was running out of patience, so went and got a Ditimate III casing. Tested it last night and it works fine. I just have to be careful with the CF card slot. That's the only one I use frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.