Digicam for party

Status
Not open for further replies.

Astin

Mar 2, 2002
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
Hiaz, I almost want to give up on digicam already.
Last weekend went for a dinner party at Fullerton. Its those friends gathering. Not appropriate to bring the DSLR, so I brought along the Nikon Coolpix 5100. As usual (and expected), the hotel was very dim, the digicam flash could only cover 5-7 feet. We had a big group of about 20 persons. Most of the small group shots are ok, the big group shots, because we need to move further than 5-7 feet, are always under exposed.

Just wish that Nikon/Sony/etc can make a small digicam that cater for party, with a very powerful flash.

You could have gotten a 8800, mount a SB-800 on it... :D

Astin said:
Last weekend went for a dinner party at Fullerton. Its those friends gathering. Not appropriate to bring the DSLR, so I brought along the Nikon Coolpix 5100. As usual (and expected), the hotel was very dim, the digicam flash could only cover 5-7 feet. We had a big group of about 20 persons. Most of the small group shots are ok, the big group shots, because we need to move further than 5-7 feet, are always under exposed.

Just wish that Nikon/Sony/etc can make a small digicam that cater for party, with a very powerful flash.

I use Fuji S5000 (use to be S602z but she passed away) as my party cam. Not sure about big groups but I've used them in a lot of clubs and even madam wong (the dark n smokey batcave). Can even drag the shutter too. So far, compared to other cams, the skin tone is still nice. Best of all, small enough to smuggle inside zouk (i don't go zouk/velvet anymore bec of the stupid camera rule... thumper & attica are more accomodating :p).

Astin said:

You can your nikon flash (SB800) as slave for your Nikon Coolpix 5100.

megaweb said:
You can your nikon flash (SB800) as slave for your Nikon Coolpix 5100.
Hey, thats a great little idea, thanks. I will try next time.

espn said:
You could have gotten a 8800, mount a SB-800 on it...
The 8800 is too bulky, for those dinner party purpose...

Just one question, with the whole flash pointing upwards (instead of just the flash head), would there be any complications as far as metering is concerned? Assuming you're using the flash in A|A mode, won't the sensor on the flash be pointing in the wrong direction? Thought it should be pointing front and not up. However, of course if you're using M then no problems.

megaweb said:

ashbok said:
how do u activate the slave?
Sorry I cannot help you as I am Canon user. You should read the manual or ask the Nikon Guru.

Witness said:
switch the flash mode to su-4???
What is su-4 ? Weakest strength ? I use mid range.

vince123123 said:
Just one question, with the whole flash pointing upwards (instead of just the flash head), would there be any complications as far as metering is concerned? Assuming you're using the flash in A|A mode, won't the sensor on the flash be pointing in the wrong direction? Thought it should be pointing front and not up. However, of course if you're using M then no problems.
My setup is for indoor with ceiling. I set A70 to M mode and single flash to trigger the slave (SB80). I like bounce flash effect. Of course you can point your slave in front.

ashbok said:
how do u activate the slave?
Quick simple. U power "ON" the flash, then press the "SEL" button for 2 seconds, then use the "+" or "-" to choose the slave mode. It will be triggered by any digicam's small flash, eg my little Nikon Coolpix.
But then, u would need to do some experiment to find the best use of this technique, it can get very powerful for the little digicam.

Actually I was talking about where the sensor is pointing, not where the flashhead is pointing...

megaweb said:
My setup is for indoor with ceiling. I set A70 to M mode and single flash to trigger the slave (SB80). I like bounce flash effect. Of course you can point your slave in front.

But then, doesn't the external flash and the frame makes the whole setup bulky and defeat the purpose of having a compact camera? Not trying to start any war, just my opinion (different preference for different users).

megaweb said:
Sorry I cannot help you as I am Canon user. You should read the manual or ask the Nikon Guru.
Nikonsiao, you're wanted here.

megaweb said:
What is su-4 ? Weakest strength ? I use mid range.
SU-4 is slave mode that triggers the flash by light.

Astin said:
Quick simple. U power "ON" the flash, then press the "SEL" button for 2 seconds, then use the "+" or "-" to choose the slave mode. It will be triggered by any digicam's small flash, eg my little Nikon Coolpix.
But then, u would need to do some experiment to find the best use of this technique, it can get very powerful for the little digicam.

Tried CLS with 4 SB-800 + D2Hs yesterday, shiok ;) can do a lot of stuff.

vince123123 said:
Actually I was talking about where the sensor is pointing, not where the flashhead is pointing...
oh. Nikon flash slave sensor is sensitive. You can trigger it at any direction even at the back.

dawgbyte77 said:
But then, doesn't the external flash and the frame makes the whole setup bulky and defeat the purpose of having a compact camera? Not trying to start any war, just my opinion (different preference for different users).
Depend. If you can make use of your existing gear to enchance your shots , why not ?

I see, I apologise for not being clear, but what I was referring to is the sensor on the flash to control the output of the flash, much like the thrystor sensor in automatic flash units.

megaweb said:
oh. Nikon flash slave sensor is sensitive. You can trigger it at any direction even at the back.

vince123123 said:
I see, I apologise for not being clear, but what I was referring to is the sensor on the flash to control the output of the flash, much like the thrystor sensor in automatic flash units.
haha. I use manual flash settings. Try an error method to test exposure.

Astin said:

I think another easy solution (if available, that is) is to move the whole group to somewhere more brighter like hallway, stage, etc. Or just drag some lightsource (i.e. lamps if there are) to the left and right of the group, with the flash in the middle the photo should be more balanced and brighter. If can increase the ISO, also better and then clean the noise afterwards. That's what I'll do to enjoy the party more without the liability of lugging too many stuff and keeping a constant eye on them while my buddy enjoys themselves.
I assume this is also your objective thats why you left your DSLR at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.