Digicam for Concert?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saxyjazz

Dec 22, 2005
Hi, I am thinking of getting a digicam for the purpose of taking stage/concert pictures. I know some DSLR can do the job. I am also wondering if normal compact camera can do the job as well? If yes, which one? Please feel free to contribute your thoughts and experience. Thank you. :)

It very much depends on what kind of composition you want in the picture and also on the distance you can get close to your subject.

pls make up your mind: u prefer dslr or digicam?

U funny lah User111! How can he make up his mind when he's asking us these questions here?

nvm..lets spoonfeed a little :cool:

for digicams..i suggest s2IS or f828 or any of the panasonic lumix latest models. the main thing is that digicam AF is sluggish as compared to dslr, so its wise to prefocus for moving subjects on the stage

I feel that most compact cameras aren't quite cut out for the job... concert/stage photography is among the most demanding in terms of equipment... dim/changing lights, fast action, crowds, distance to subject... you're really pushing your equipment to the limit.

Then again it depends on the quality of shots you're after. If anything goes for you, you can even use a handphone...might get a few usable shots. But if you want quality get a dSLR with a good zoom and an external flash.

I don't know of a particular brand or model but the usual points to note are:

1. one that has an ISO of 400 - 1600, preferably (not to sure if a compact has such ranges)
2. one that is known for having low noise, even with high ISO settings (Fuji, maybe??)
3. one that allows long exposures as an option (maybe up to 1sec+)
4. one that has a good optical zoom range (you could be at a distance for a concert)
5. guess you still need a monopod at least for sharp pictures or long exposures.

Regards

P.S. I may have left out alot; check with those who had actually photographed a live concert in your particular environment (stadium -indoor/outdoor), studio, etc

compacts hav poor iso and apature. u wont want to use a compact at >iso400 even if its able.

yyD70S, its a concert. using ur suggested shutter, the stage will be a mess of lights.

its useless trying to flash unless ur juz infront of the stage, the pic may turn out underexposed(if u used the wrong flash setting) and the guy infront of u will be really annoyed

solarii said:
you can even use a handphone...might get a few usable shots. But if you want quality get a dSLR with a good zoom and an external flash.
k750i:thumbsup:
d2x + 400/2.8:thumbsup:

i use my nikon7600 for Sun yan zi concert and i find it very :thumbsd:

i too thinkin of gettin a dslr but dunno buy which one better? very exp

feel like dslr is a very exp stuff, neve thought photography so exp:bigeyes: haha

I would recommend the Pana FZ5.
It is the smallest digicam with 12x zoom.
So you should still be able to get some decent shots if
you are not too far away.

Try not to go over ISO200, but if really no choice, go up to ISO400 and use
a noise removal software later. But note that you willl sacrifice some details.

For concert, try not to use the flash. It kills the ambience
lighting and waste battery life.
Timing is the key, wait for those spot lighting, and once you think
you got a chance, fire your shot.

Check out this old thread.
This guy shot the Grasshopper concert with a FZ10, and achieve very nice pictures :thumbsup:

http://forum.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=159854&highlight=grasshopper

But if you still think a DSLR will do a better job for you. Go ahead and buy. :)

are you able to bring a dslr into a concert in the first place? that is unless of course you are some official photographer or something.

itsybitsyspidy said:
are you able to bring a dslr into a concert in the first place? that is unless of course you are some official photographer or something.

Really depends on the organisers... if they don't put any specific restrictions on cameras then its ok. Some performances only restrict the use of flash so a camera is alright. Check before hand...

But to be frank its quite hard to restrict photography nowadays... practically every phone has a camera!

Reno said:
Fuji F11..!! :thumbsup:

Fuji F11 is good for dim light conditions with its low noise level up to ISO 1600.

However, if the threadstarter wants a close up (half body or full body just cover the whole frame) but he is not right in front of the performer, then the low optical zoom of F11 is not up to the mark.

So I asked what kind of composition he wants and what distance he can get near to the performers.

thought in concert the environment all pretty lim light condition.... but he did not mention what kind of concert.. ;p

Reno said:
thought in concert the environment all pretty lim light condition.... but he did not mention what kind of concert.. ;p

So far, the Fuji F10 and F11 are the only compact cameras capable of low noise at ISO 800 and 1600 and is the most suitable for such dim light situations.

However, distance is usually a problem unless the person is so rich to buy seats in the first few rows. .... which have prices like $268, $298, $368 etc .... or he doesn't need any any close up shots.

Otherwise, DSLR is the only way. Prosumers cameras have too much noise at ISO 400/800 even though they have the long zoom. Moreover, if distance is far, the prosumer cameras won't be able to have fast enough shutter speed to freeze movement and yet have proper exposure in such dim lights even at ISO 400 or 800.

Clockunder said:
So far, the Fuji F10 and F11 are the only compact cameras capable of low noise at ISO 800 and 1600 and is the most suitable for such dim light situations.

However, distance is usually a problem unless the person is so rich to buy seats in the first few rows. .... which have prices like $268, $298, $368 etc .... or he doesn't need any any close up shots.

Otherwise, DSLR is the only way. Prosumers cameras have too much noise at ISO 400/800 even though they have the long zoom. Moreover, if distance is far, the prosumer cameras won't be able to have fast enough shutter speed to freeze movement and yet have proper exposure in such dim lights even at ISO 400 or 800.

concert... never mind one.... rush to the front when the concert in mid.... a lot of people are like that... kekekeeee...

for prosumer, imagine you are shooting at ISO200-400 handheld at full zoom (eg. at 432mm) at dim light condition... i think you can throw the photo away....

Reno said:
concert... never mind one.... rush to the front when the concert in mid.... a lot of people are like that... kekekeeee...

for prosumer, imagine you are shooting at ISO200-400 handheld at full zoom (eg. at 432mm) at dim light condition... i think you can throw the photo away....

Don't remind me. I still have many such trashes in my Hard Disk : Blurred, noisy and dark images when shooting fully zoomed in (actual focal length 72mm) and with shutter speed 1/15 and ISO 800.

They are part and parcel of my learning process.

i was told to leave my F4, stand and len in the locker still have to paid a dollar for it during last year sam's hui concert, but in the end saw many people shoot with digicam. Damn hot man do not know what sort of policy is it and most of the concert in oversea allowed to bring in camera in whatever size but not for most of the singapore concerts. Do you think is it fair for the consumer which pay the prices for the ticket, i think the organiser should abolished this stupid rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.