Digi cabi question

instinctloh

Nov 25, 2008
Recently bought a new dry cabinet but with no manual inside.

Basically is just a knob that either turn towards the blue or red position.

I presume is cold and hot?

I tried the extreme red and extreme blue, the temp remains constant at 28 degree that means my guess is wrong? Then what's the knob for?

I read and seems like I need trials and errors to get in between 55% - 65% RH but today is the 4th day still can't get it right. As in it falls in between but is fluctuating in between and worst is either 65-67 or 52-55.

Not sure if this is ok?

Any idea what's the knob for and hot to get it correct?

Is the extreme 55 and 65 +/- 2% acceptable?

Thks

You bought a dry cabinet, not a fridge, of course the knob doesn't affect the temperature. The red area means higher dehumidifying power. Turn it to about 12 o'clock position and wait over night, then fine tune according will you get the humidity you want.

And it's not that we don't have a sticky and countless other threads about it: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/others/481380-sharing-my-research-dry-cabinets.html
The temperature is there because Relative Humidity requires the temperature as reference point. 50% RH at 30C is different from 50% RH at 0C
Fluctuating RH reading can have different reasons. Either it's your playing with the knob or you turned on aircon in the room - which of course will affect the RH in the cabinet. It's not airtight.
For the correct RH settings consult your manual or read the countless similar threads here.

Just to put your mind at ease, the margin of error of these types of RH meters is greater than +/-2%. Probably in the magnitude of +/- (5% RH).

Thks for the link to a nice writeup.

I do have a question but seems like is not answered in that thread.

My cabinet is for cam n lens. So what's the ideal RH?

Bro sorry.

It does not comes with a manual.

Thks

instinctloh said:
Thks for the heads up.

Cheers

Welcome. Dun get too worried if it hits 40%. It fluctuates quite a lot depending on environment and temperature in d room.

This is also my problem. Since i dun have user manuals, i always based on a countless threads here at clubsnap.
I always positioned knob at 12 oclock, my reading is 60-65 RH with 25-29 degree.

loveko said:
This is also my problem. Since i dun have user manuals, i always based on a countless threads here at clubsnap.
I always positioned knob at 12 oclock, my reading is 60-65 RH with 25-29 degree.

60-65 is quite high ya. D user manual recommends 45-55 for lenses n bodies.

Turn the knob towards the red end to increase the dehumidifying power. Target should be 45 or lower. Your value is barely lower than room conditions where you seem to use aircon.

I normally set it to 40-50%. Too low a humidity will encourage other kinds of fungus to grow.

I normally set it to 40-50%. Too low a humidity will encourage other kinds of fungus to grow.

Errz.. how many kinds are they??

Thoth said:
Errz.. how many kinds are they??

Big big one small small one which one do you want? She got big big one, he got small small one, of you want Te big big one, go and grab her one~

hyperFocal said:

Jokes aside. I have read that if the RH is too low the lubricants and rubber may dry up.

40-50% for me.

Fudgecakes said:
Jokes aside. I have read that if the RH is too low the lubricants and rubber may dry up.

Yeah. Tatz all la. What other fungi at lower humidity. Haha

Thoth said:
Yeah. Tatz all la. What other fungi at lower humidity. Haha

LOL thought you're asleep already. Or the allure of CS is just too much for you to handle..... Or you're camping for IPhone 5 announcement?