Digi-Cabi confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dorts

Mar 10, 2007
SG
Hello all,

I just bought a AD-40 few days ago. I read the manual but very confusing, because they said that there is a RED LED but my knob only have a GREEN LED. The green led is brightest when fully turned clockwise and it disappears around the 12 o'clock position. The manual also says about the Point A-C, which I do not have. I only have a green, red, and blue. :)

Hello all,

I just bought a AD-40 few days ago. I read the manual but very confusing, because they said that there is a RED LED but my knob only have a GREEN LED. The green led is brightest when fully turned clockwise and it disappears around the 12 o'clock position. The manual also says about the Point A-C, which I do not have. I only have a green, red, and blue. :)

Reading your post also confusing. Now you state 3 color led.

Regards,
Arto.

move ur knob till the green led is off. and let it set for a few hrs.. check on the RH, and adjust again.. at that point, it should be around 40-60 RH
different cabi will have different point where u get the RH for your equipments.

Reading your post also confusing. Now you state 3 color led.

Regards,
Arto.

Sorry. I meant that there are 3 sections, red, green and blue. Not led.

My around 46% with the knob at fully right. Is left or right increase RH? So confusing. :)

Sorry. I meant that there are 3 sections, red, green and blue. Not led.

My around 46% with the knob at fully right. Is left or right increase RH? So confusing. :)

Turn it anti-clockwise to increase RH. It will take some time adjusting the knob to achieve the desired RH of 45-55%.

the manual can be very misleading as it's most likely translated from some chinese manual or written by someone that's not so proficient in English.
Just leave the switch to one position and leave it there for a few minutes and see the RH reading. Then turn it either way and see if the RH level goes up or down and set it to the desired level.
In anycase, it is advisible not to put anything in it until the RH level has been stabalised

the built in hydrometer is useless. Go buy one either at SLT top floor and get one from Casio in Bugis.

i know your confusion, as i gone through it as well....setting it to about 9am, with the led light dim should be fine.. let it stabilize 1st

But my seems to be working the opposite. When I turn clockwise, the RH seems to decrease more than when it is anti-clockwise. :D

Well, there is once I ask a Tech. in NSC while sending one old lens for servicing. He told me best set around 30 - 45. But dry-cab manual recommend 40 - 60 for photographic equipment.
Now who is right?? :dunno:

Yeah it's so confusing. turn to 9 Oclock it drop t 23. Turn to 3 Oclock, it also drops to 22. Been trying to calibrate for 4 days and still can't get it right:confused:

Did you try 12 than, Camm.

Yeah ... can't remember the reading but still not the right one.. Currently trying 6 Oclock

Just share some of my personal tips here.
When you first get the dry cabi. Don't put lens inside yet.
Turn the knob to the max for drying.
Once it reaches 40% humidity, reduce it by 1/2 turn.
If it still dips below 40%, adjust a bit and wait.
There will be a point where it will stay between 40-50%.
When you open the door to put the lens, the humidity will go up again.
Just ignore it and let it stabilise for 1/2 a day or more and see the readings.
Adjust only if it is out of the 40-50% range.
A bit out of the range is ok la. Or else, there will be no end adjusting. :bsmilie:

I think the manual should mention that you have to let the cabinet stabilise for at least 1 day before using. In general, fungus grows when the RH is above 70%, so if the RH is kept below 60%, it's generally ok. So any fluctuations between 40% to 60% should not cause any alarms.

:sweat: Checked this morning, at 6oclock also drop to 22.

Well, the dry cabinet is meant to dry the space in the cabinet. It cannot make the cabinet wetter no matter what setting you used. As an analogy, if you set your air-con to 27 deg, and the room temp drops to 12 deg, there is no way that the air-con can heat the room back to 27 deg.

I completely understand the confusion. The manual is one of the worse written instruction manuals I have ever come across.

RH will rise and fall depending on what kind of equipment you put into the cabinet, whether there's moisture on the equipment, ambient air etc. Mine normally stabilises around the 9 O'clock position, but it tends to go up and down a lot also. I would recommend turning it all the way to the left, and turning the RH down bit by bit.

I think the most you can do is to do the following:
1. Open the cabinet and fix a digital hygrometer in the cabinet.
2. Adjust the knob to the extreme and see if the dryer triggers.
3. Lower adjust the knob until the dryer just trigger. The trigger point will approximate the RH in the cabinet.
4. Adjust the setting lower and close the cabinet. Observe at what RH does the dryer trigger off.
5. Continue the process until the dryer triggers off at about 45-50%. Leave the cabinet at the setting.

There on, the dryer will trigger if the RH is higher than 50%, but there is no guarantee that the RH will not drop too low though.

Status
Not open for further replies.