Diffusers

YuccaTheFlower

Mar 10, 2010
Hidden beneath the viewfinder
I've been thinking about this for a long time. And when there isn't a ceiling or wall to bounce my flash, I find it hard to get the correct exposure. Can anyone advise on whether I should get a diffuser if I do not wish to bounce my flash?

And I've also been reading about the gary fong diffuser, any opinions on which diffuser I should get?

Thanks

It would be much easier if you provided information and samples.

E.g.,

What camera, mode, shutter speed, aperture, flash model, exactly how you used it, in what mode, any EC settings, scene shot and a sample photo of what you referred to as the incorrect exposure.

As is, we can only tikam tikam in the dark and confuse you. :bsmilie:

E.g.,

What camera, mode, shutter speed, aperture, flash model, exactly how you used it, in what mode, any EC settings, scene shot and a sample photo of what you referred to as the incorrect exposure.

Eh, no la what I meant is advise on whether or not i should get a diffuser. For flash, I use M and my flash is a 430exII.

E.g.,

you have squeeze even more and harder to get info...

Eh, no la what I meant is advise on whether or not i should get a diffuser. For flash, I use M and my flash is a 430exII.

Not sure what you're trying to take, very hard to comment.

Anyways, I've tried the Gary Foong, the whaletail thing and the Stoffen Omnibounce.
They all have quite different purposes and for me, the omnibounce works well even outdoors (I use my flash as fill) and is a lot of bang for buck.

I dont get you

DM asked

shutter speed

flash model

exactly how you used it

in what mode

any EC settings

scene shot

a sample photo

incorrect exposure?

and he gets

Not sure what you're trying to take, very hard to comment.

Anyways, I've tried the Gary Foong, the whaletail thing and the Stoffen Omnibounce.
They all have quite different purposes and for me, the omnibounce works well even outdoors (I use my flash as fill) and is a lot of bang for buck.

I use it for portrait photography most of the time ^^
Mostly people

Hmm ... with no important info, or clear objective stated, I would suggest this:

1) Read up on different diffusers and what conditions they are useful in

2) Find out about using direct diffused (diffused but no bounce) flash techniques and what accessories you need like small softbox attachment

3) Think if using simple direct flash might be better for you

4) Read the EOS flash bible and understand how mah fan Canon's flash system is. If you understand and master this, all the mystery of under or over-exposure with EX units will become clear.

Don't worry, it's only 45 pages long but contains more practical information than your instruction manual. :bsmilie: http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

5) Google 'digital flash technique' and 'basic flash technique' or look up 'how to get the best out of the 430 EXII'. In-depth reviews usually give important insights on how a particular piece of equipment was designed/works, and it's shortfalls. Google 'EOS 430 EX II flash reviews'.

All the best. :)

I've been thinking about this for a long time. And when there isn't a ceiling or wall to bounce my flash, I find it hard to get the correct exposure. Can anyone advise on whether I should get a diffuser if I do not wish to bounce my flash?Thanks
The flash that you have should come with a bounce card. If not get a hardcap or flash reflector if you don't want to spend too much money. You can get them here ;)

Thats cause my question was about whether or not diffusers should be used. And not opinions on my photography. No offense to DM

:hung:

No worries, no offense taken at all.

I wasn't asking about your artistic aspects or photography. Only ask about the technicality so can try to help you.

Try borrow as many diffusers as you can and try them all. See which one works best for you. :)

Hmm ... with no important info, or clear objective stated, I would suggest this:

1) Read up on different diffusers and what conditions they are useful in

2) Find out about using direct diffused (diffused but no bounce) flash techniques and what accessories you need like small softbox attachment

3) Think if using simple direct flash might be better for you

4) Read the EOS flash bible and understand how mah fan Canon's flash system is. If you understand and master this, all the mystery of under or over-exposure with EX units will become clear.

Don't worry, it's only 45 pages long but contains more practical information than your instruction manual. :bsmilie: http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

5) Google 'digital flash technique' and 'basic flash technique' or look up 'how to get the best out of the 430 EXII'. In-depth reviews usually give important insights on how a particular piece of equipment was designed/works, and it's shortfalls. Google 'EOS 430 EX II flash reviews'.

All the best. :)

Thanks, i use my flash for portraits.

:hung:

No worries, no offense taken at all.

I wasn't asking about your artistic aspects or photography. Only ask about the technicality so can try to help you.

Try borrow as many diffusers as you can and try them all. See which one works best for you. :)

I'm looking to a diffuser that does not require me to bounce the flash

I find the bounce card to be pretty "weak".
Will a diffuser have a better effect than a reflector?
The reflector will give a softer light than the hardcap diffuser. Why not you check out the link I got you & see if any of those stuffs interest you ;)

let me tell you straight.

the bigger the light source, the softer the light,

the softer the light, will eat up more flash power,

you can get a 5 feet softbox or a 60" umbrella attach to your flash, sure you will have very soft light, but your flash will not be powerful enough to deliver decent exposure.

Hard cap diffusers don't require you to bounce the flash, they spread light everywhere (even backwards). Don't need Omnibounce imo, just a normal hard cap diffuser which costs less would do just as well. Maybe not as hard as omnibounce but if u dun try to tear it apart there shouldnt be a problem. I think.

Cap diffusers are not much different from using direct flash when there is no surface to bounce the light off.. You're just making your flash less efficient..

I use it for portrait photography most of the time ^^
Mostly people

All the three I've mentioned can be used for portraits...

You might want to try them all yourself to find which works best FOR YOU.

The Gary Foong might be more versatile since you can actually "shoot" it at your model to create some sort of warm glow with the yellow cover etc...

But seriously, your flash might be too small to support the Gary Foong dome properly. I know my SB600 can rarely stay in the position I want with the thing attached. You should really try them out. Not that expensive if you get the China versions. Not that different in quality in my opinion.