difficulty with precision setting with dry cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

gazzatan

Jun 16, 2009
i would have preferred a digitally controlled unit, but the budget only allowed the digi cabi DB-036. It's perfectly fine except for the fact that it's analogue controlled .... and the dial is not the most precise instrument.

It seems like there are 2 recommended ranges floating around - RH40-45 and RH45-50. Not knowing which is more ideal I was shooting for the middle, ie 45% - but no matter what I do I don't seem to be able to get the 45% reading. It's either 49/48 (possible 47 with the airconditioning turned on) ... or 43/42. I can't find the sweet spot on the dial that hits the 45% mark.

So my question is which is better. Leaving it at 49/48 ... or turning it down to 43/32.

Try setting the dial ard the 1 o'clock or 2 o'clock position. Shld be able to achieve between 43%-48%. Once achieved, try to touch the dial again.

For mine, i getting ard 43%-46%. So far so good. :D

Normally is ard +-5%.

i would have preferred a digitally controlled unit, but the budget only allowed the digi cabi DB-036. It's perfectly fine except for the fact that it's analogue controlled .... and the dial is not the most precise instrument.

It seems like there are 2 recommended ranges floating around - RH40-45 and RH45-50. Not knowing which is more ideal I was shooting for the middle, ie 45% - but no matter what I do I don't seem to be able to get the 45% reading. It's either 49/48 (possible 47 with the airconditioning turned on) ... or 43/42. I can't find the sweet spot on the dial that hits the 45% mark.

So my question is which is better. Leaving it at 49/48 ... or turning it down to 43/32.

Why dont you spend more time shooting than worrying about the fluctuation of the RH between 40, 45 or 50. IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE for the your purposes.

As long as it's between 40% to 55% it's okay. This is no rocket science.

Every time you open the door, it'll fluctuate again.

i recommend buying an electronic hygrometer that measures both temperature and humidity

these are available at most DIY shops and even in electrical goods sect of Mustafa

Why dont you spend more time shooting than worrying about the fluctuation of the RH between 40, 45 or 50. IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE for the your purposes.

exactly, you think 2% will kill your camera ah?...hahaha. ou bring it out it is exposed to 70% or more lor..it keeps fluctuating one la.open door only go up already..unless it goes too high then you worry;) mine has a lowest RH of 40% when i leave it in there for a day or more..but goes to 50% once i open the door.

You might want to read here for more details: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481380 - It's like decimal points in maths: get the accuracy that is necessary.
Apart from that, Deadpoet has summed it up.

Be patient.. Since you should already know the position that gives you 49/48 and 43/42, then gently tap the dial to get you somewhere in between and patiently wait... adjust only after it has settled for a day. Anyway, RH of 48/49% should be ideal.

either or, i don't think it matters. your camera won't feel the difference.
how u know ur meter is 100% accurate at all times anyway?
RH about 40-50% should be fine. :)

Last edited:
Mine went from 50 to 30 since yesterday.

Mine went from 50 to 30 since yesterday.

Then check the manual how to set it a bit higher, close the door and wait a couple of hours. 30% is a tad too low. Bear in mind that room aircon will affect the work of the dry cabinet.

Then check the manual how to set it a bit higher, close the door and wait a couple of hours. 30% is a tad too low. Bear in mind that room aircon will affect the work of the dry cabinet.
**** man reading all the post, do i need to calibrate hygrometer first (i just bought like 2 days ago).

**** man reading all the post, do i need to calibrate hygrometer first (i just bought like 2 days ago).

just turn the knob and wait till you get the desired range, once it is there, don't touch it. calibrate what?...it isn't that difficult la..

Dear TS, which digital dry cab are you refereing to? Don't recall any digital ones around. Unless you're refereing to the digital 'hygrometer'. From what I can see is that that the cabs are analog meaning, there's dial to turn to get the required RH. I suggest you adjust once, keep the door close and monitor. By opening and closing the door will give very poor indication of the RH. Let the reading settle trying to attempt to readjust.

I fully support bro deadpoet's suggestion. Spend more time shooting rather worrying about 5% RH

Status
Not open for further replies.