different of 18-55s??

woodykong

Jul 13, 2011
hi all may I knw wat different of 18-55 al with 'al ll' n 'al wr'??

DA1855 AL II is the redesign version of the earlier AL version. AL II is suppose to have better optics over the AL version.
if i am not wrong 1855WR have the same optics as the AL II version.

poseur said:
DA1855 AL II is the redesign version of the earlier AL version. AL II is suppose to have better optics over the AL version.
if i am not wrong 1855WR have the same optics as the AL II version.

ic..seems like no sell the al ll in market?

multan said:
WR = weather resistant

ya i knw tat..thx...Juz dunno the optic inside izzit same

by the way if i am not wrong, the DAL version is the same optically too...
DAL1855 = DA1855AL II = DA1855WR

by the way if i am not wrong, the DAL version is the same optically too...
DAL1855 = DA1855AL II = DA1855WR

they are optically identical. difference is in build quality and feature.

DAL: plastic mount, no quick shift.

DA: metal mount, quick shift.

DA WR: metal mount, quick shift and weather resistant.

Last edited:
ya i knw tat..thx...Juz dunno the optic inside izzit same

The optical construction is different. The version II has 11 elements in 8 groups instead of the original 12 elements in 9 groups. The DA II, DA L, and DA WR versions all share the same optical construction.

Just get the WR one, it's so cheap on the b&s forum nowadays. It's a lot better built than most other DA lenses...

fengwei said:
Just get the WR one, it's so cheap on the b&s forum nowadays. It's a lot better built than most other DA lenses...

did the wr gt sell in market?I means nt at b&s...

did the wr gt sell in market?I means nt at b&s...

of course. can buy new one easily from the shops. call the usual funan shops or orient photo at SLS to check. its less than $200 if i recall correctly.

u mean you bought your KR without an 18-55 kit lens?

detritus said:
u mean you bought your KR without an 18-55 kit lens?

mine is al,the older model...I wish to change it bcoz of the 'look' n thinking about the optic problem...by the way the WR reali look gd than al..haihz I'm thinking to add 17-70 f4 in few months later o change my kit lens to WR nw...o 16-45??

non-WR lenses are not as 'non-WR' as you may think. looks wise, there are many other sexy looking lens around. however, fast and constant aperture always wins.

mine is al,the older model...I wish to change it bcoz of the 'look' n thinking about the optic problem...by the way the WR reali look gd than al..haihz I'm thinking to add 17-70 f4 in few months later o change my kit lens to WR nw...o 16-45??

are u sure? new KRs are bundled with the DA-L 18-55. the "L" stands for "lightweight".

http://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-DAL-18-55mm-F3.5-5.6-Zoom-Lens.html

it is optically identical to the DA 18-55 AL II

the DA 18-55 AL was discontinued a long time ago. i've never heard of it being bundled together with a KR.

you'll be wasting money if u get the WR version - its basically the same glass, except with a metal lens mount, a distance scale, and quick shift.

Actually, there are different of the optic on DA 18-55 AL, which found on K10D as the kit lens. It is the only one has 12 elements, 9 groups. The others have 11 elements and 8 groups. I haven't got a chance to try DA 18-55 AL but I have used and compare DAL 18-55 AL to DA 18-55 AL II, the DA II sharpness is definitely noticeable sharper when zoom in @ around 8x. DAL doesn't come with hood and quick shift.

To sum up:

DAL 18-55 AL: plastic mount, no quick shift, no hood, 11 elements 8 group, 6 blades, found on K-x, K-r
DA 18-55 AL : Metal mount, has quick shift, has hood, 12 elements, 9 groups, 6 blades, found on K10D
DA 18-55 AL II: Metal mount, has quick shift, has hood, 11 elements, 8 groups, 6 blades, found on K20D
DA 18-55 AL WR: Metal mount, has quick shift, has hood, 11 elements, 8 groups, 6 blades, has WR and found on K7

Last edited:
Actually, there are different of the optic on DA 18-55 AL, which found on K10D as the kit lens. It is the only one has 12 elements, 9 groups. The others have 11 elements and 8 groups. I haven't got a chance to try DA 18-55 AL but I have used and compare DAL 18-55 AL to DA 18-55 AL II, the DA II sharpness is definitely noticeable sharper when zoom in @ around 8x. DAL doesn't come with hood and quick shift.

To sum up:

DA 18-55 AL : Metal mount, has quick shift, has hood, 12 elements, 9 groups, 6 blades, found on K10D - discontinued

DAL 18-55 AL: plastic mount, no quick shift, no hood, 11 elements 8 group, 6 blades, found on K-x, K-r - current
DA 18-55 AL II: Metal mount, has quick shift, has hood, 11 elements, 8 groups, 6 blades, found on K20D - current
DA 18-55 AL WR: Metal mount, has quick shift, has hood, 11 elements, 8 groups, 6 blades, has WR and found on K7 - current
other than the DA 18-55 AL which obviously has a different optical formula, the remaining 3 are all 11 elements, 8 groups, 6 blades. not sure how "different" is the glass between the 3 versions.

do u have the pics and the test conditions for your test?

Last edited:
- current

other than the DA 18-55 AL which obviously has a different optical formula, the remaining 3 are all 11 elements, 8 groups, 6 blades. not sure how "different" is the glass between the 3 versions.

do u have the pics and the test conditions for your test?

I don't have the WR but I do have DAL and DA II test photos. It was last year, so I will need to pull up side down my computer to find where I place them though.

Or I can easily borrow them from my friends to test again. No big deal but have to be done over the next weekend, as I am going to Singapore this weekend :)

opps i thought mine one is older model...i juz knw tat mine one is dal n have one older model is da..
so it reali smtg different of the optic on them...
so i can add hood on my dal oso right?
did the hood reali useful?

opps i thought mine one is older model...i juz knw tat mine one is dal n have one older model is da..

I found it very useful to have the hood under harsh sunlight. It also helps on contrast and flare too :) You can buy hood for your DAL, but don't think the DA's hood will fit on DAL. But what I found more helpful from DA II, to DAL is the metal mount. It is firm and hard. I used to have DAL, and the mount came off so easily.

I don't have the WR but I do have DAL and DA II test photos. It was last year, so I will need to pull up side down my computer to find where I place them though.

Or I can easily borrow them from my friends to test again. No big deal but have to be done over the next weekend, as I am going to Singapore this weekend :)

yeah... it'll be good to know cos i'm using the WR version but on a K5. my DAL was sold with my old K-X. hence, it would not be meaningful to compare. my feeling is that they glass is the same and the difference in optical qualities, even if present, is probably negligible and more likely due to variations between copies than DA or WR version.

wazzupku thinks DA version is better, i think there's no difference and not worth the money to buy. "upgrading" DAL 18-55 with 18-55WR is not worth it to me.

u can check with Manly if they have the JJC hood for the 18-55. i used it on my copy before last time.