Different lenses

durainello

Apr 19, 2010
Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading from a P&S to the Sony Nex C-3 but i'm confused with the lens, hoping someone could enlighten me. I will be taking mostly portrait, low light and far object for my photos.

What is the difference from a 35mm f1.8 vs 50mm f1.8.
What is the difference from using a DT18-250(A lens - $899) vs 18-200 (E lens - $1199) on the Nex C-3.

Thanks.

Hi! Basically they have different fixed focal lengths (35mm vs 50mm). These lens are prime lens. Prime lens make great portrait lens. The 18-250 and 18-200 are zoom lens.

A good site for Sony users: http://kurtmunger.com/index.html

I'm a Canon user but this site is useful for any DSLR newbie: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/

I also suggest reading the stickies to learn more: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forums/101-Articles-and-Guides

Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading from a P&S to the Sony Nex C-3 but i'm confused with the lens, hoping someone could enlighten me. I will be taking mostly portrait, low light and far object for my photos.

What is the difference from a 35mm f1.8 vs 50mm f1.8.
What is the difference from using a DT18-250(A lens - $899) vs 18-200 (E lens - $1199) on the Nex C-3.

Thanks.
Ok..35mm vs 50mm. simple.. the focal length is different. Meaning with the 50mm your subject appear bigger. If u were to stand at the same position with your 35mm lens instead.

Your next question. The 18-250.. is a A mount lens. Hmm you must be aware that Nex system are using the E mount system. Meaning if you use the E lens 18-200. Its suitable and AF very smoothly/fast. However, If u choose to use the A lens- 18-250 and fit it on a NEX. I will say NO NO. Why because you need to know. 2 things.
First. Since NEX is E mount. Not all A mount lenses AF on the NEX. Only selected ones. eg. Mainly those with SAM/SSM. This DT18-250. Dosent have SAM. So no AF. (unless u are fine with Manuel focus)
Second. Again, Since NEX is E mount. IF u want to use a A mount lens...you can. But ! you have to buy a adapter and fit it onto your NEX first. The adapter is LA-EA1. Cost 299. Available at Sony or other related retail stores.

The I have the 18-200 from my Sony Nex vg-10 video cam. It's big and heavy when used on my Nex-3.

The reason I bought the Nex 3 is coz I wanted something handy apart from my canon dslr. The Nex c3 is small so the using the 18-200mm makes the whole system quite unbalanced.

There will be 50mm portrait lenses coming out for the e-mount. I'd suggest buying that instead of the a-mount lens with adapter.

Guess I have no choice but to wait for the E mount 50mm and source for cheaper quote for the 18-200mm, as I am using the canon sx210 with 14x zoom now so I still prefer a zoom lens although it might get bulky.

Yes just remb..its always better to use E mounts lenses on the nex cameras. No need adapter and alot faster AF. Not many in the market but Sony will release them soon..as time goes by since its still NEW. If u can wait.. the 55-200 is probably on the way too. But no dates yet.