Different in colour 5D MKII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tahugoreng

May 4, 2009
Currently base in singapore
Hi peeps,
i wonder what happen to me after i take picture with my 5DMKII i pp it using ps on mac platform and i view it it seems ok to me, but when my friend browse the picture through net the color somehow look different, on my mac book the picture so rich in color yet on the other laptop using windows the color seems off compare to my view on mac.

I wonder how can i standardize it, i saving the files under SRGB so it should look the same even though you browse through the net right? so my question here is which one is more accurate? i mean the color wise, example on my mac it look just nice the WB but on the other laptop it look a little bit pale. is it graphic card problem or what?

Thanks in advance for your help

Is your friend monitor calibrated?

Which site do you save your photos?

Every monitor displays differently. Calibrating is more important for your own machines you use for yourself, like your computer monitors, your printers etc so that every machine is seeing colour as close as one another. As for sending files across to a 3rd party, correct e if I'm wrong, you can only pray that your friend's or whoever's monitor is displaying your picture nicely. If too you're worried bout this, it means you'll need to calibrate everyone else's computer whom you're sending your photos to, which is impossible. But as long as your monitor is calibrated and keeping files to sRGB it's good enough for disseminating your photos and getting them printed in labs too.

Last edited:
Like others have mentioned, every monitor is different. i.e. changing say the colour temp of the monitor will have this affect.

Glossy versus matte screen can also play a difference to what your eyes will see.

i see so i assume my computer is alright? because it's brand new and compare with other mbp it look the same..

May not necessary be alright. Your screen needs to be calibrated in order to show correct colours.

An example of a colour calibrating device is Spyder3Express.

Don't think there is anything wrong with your MacBook. The default settings on Mac machines are different from that on a PC. I have similar experiences where moving between systems.... but I prefer to keep the settings on my Mac, because I love the color.

firstly laptop screens are not accurate, macbook pro included.

I callibrate both my macbook pro and cinema display. The MBP can never be as accurate as my display, and they can never look 100% the same.

This is one reason why some photographers rather show prints than a website since not everyone will see the same photos.

firstly laptop screens are not accurate, macbook pro included.

I callibrate both my macbook pro and cinema display. The MBP can never be as accurate as my display, and they can never look 100% the same.

This is one reason why some photographers rather show prints than a website since not everyone will see the same photos.

I see.. isn't that MBP is already calibrated by itself already? if i'm not wrong i read from one of the mac forum. so it should be accurate, i tried to print out one picture from one of the photo printing shop and surprisingly the color look the same like 98% so from here. so i guess my comp should be alright.

Sucks i wanna throw away my other windows laptop. btw any idea where can i get cheap the calibrate tool i dont mind 2nd hand.. thanks for sharing..

Laptop screens, even when calibrated, will not be perfect.

I'll only use a IPS external display (eg, Dell 2209WA). Yes, the colours look pretty good on a notebook display (eg, MBP) but for printing purposes and accuracy, a properly calibrated display (every month or so) is required.

But since I'm just a hobbyist and never print, a non-calibrated 2209WA suffices (read: too cheapskate to go buy a calibration unit).

do a simple test.

touch up your pictures on your mac. before you publish, do this:
image > convert to profile > sRGB
then
file > save for web > check "strip icc profile" or uncheck "include icc profile" go under advanced or details or something. uncheck "convert to sRGB" since you already converted

publish. ask your friend if there's still any difference

I see.. isn't that MBP is already calibrated by itself already? if i'm not wrong i read from one of the mac forum. so it should be accurate, i tried to print out one picture from one of the photo printing shop and surprisingly the color look the same like 98% so from here. so i guess my comp should be alright.

Sucks i wanna throw away my other windows laptop. btw any idea where can i get cheap the calibrate tool i dont mind 2nd hand.. thanks for sharing..

Callibrated or not, Adobe RGB's color gamut is wider than what the MBP can display. This has nothing to do with callibration. It is like callibrating a poorer quality lens, it will still never be as sharp as one of a higher quality.

The MBP's weakness can immediately be seen in gradients where visible banding can be seen. Again, callibration doesn't rectify that, it is a hardware limitation in the screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.