GoclPa

Jan 17, 2002
Pasir Ris, Singapore
G3 has different types of compressions of jpeg

superfine
fine
n norm

wts the difference b/w the 3 if i am choosing jpeg to choose

raw format is definitely the best but due to cf size matters... nid jpg but dunno the difference of the compression :dunno:

First of all, do you understand what is a jpeg file? JPEG is an acronym for Joint Photographic Expert Group. It was created by photographers who needed to send digital files across but at compressed level. Useful if your files are very big. File compressions are classified into 2 types. Lossy and Lossless. Lossy compression compresses files for storage, but when reopened certain details may be gone. In lossless compression, files are saved and reopened without any loss in quality.

Jpeg uses lossy compression algorithym. In Photoshop, one can choose from different ranges of compression values to determine whether maximum compression and minimum quality is a prefered choice, or maximum quality and minimum compression is.

In your G3, you too are given 3 options to choose from. If you choose SUPERFINE, your files will get the most minimal compression possible so that you get maximum quality. At FINE, the files saved will be balanced for compression ratios and quality. With NORM, camera will save the files at maximum compression resulting in alot of loss in picture quality.

You will also realise that the memory card stores lesser images than NORM when you set it to SUPERFINE. Which setting you choose depends upon yourself.

I hope that answers your questions.

Andy Ho

Originally posted by GoclPa
G3 has different types of compressions of jpeg

superfine
fine
n norm

wts the difference b/w the 3 if i am choosing jpeg to choose

raw format is definitely the best but due to cf size matters... nid jpg but dunno the difference of the compression :dunno:

Shoot all 3 of the same object, download to computer and compare which is acceptable to you.

For me... I even shot at SQ1 (1600x1200) with my C4040!!! to get more shots out of the SM card...

Originally posted by Snowcrash

Shoot all 3 of the same object, download to computer and compare which is acceptable to you.

For me... I even shot at SQ1 (1600x1200) with my C4040!!! to get more shots out of the SM card...

not sure what's the canon equiv, but their normal looks a bit lok to me on the LCD (v2/v3)

as for olympus the HQ setting is good for most uses... I almost never use SHQ, and use TIFF only to test the memory card...

Status
Not open for further replies.