Different between a Prosumer and DSLR - Sony DSC-H5

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunas

Dec 19, 2006
Singapore
Hello,

I have just bought a new Sony H5, is that a DSLR? I was told that it is call a Prosumer camera. May I know what is the diff?

Anyone has it? How do you find the camera?

Hello,

I have just bought a new Sony H5, is that a DSLR? I was told that it is call a Prosumer camera. May I know what is the diff?

Anyone has it? How do you find the camera?

A SLR is a Single Lens Reflex camera. And it should be able to use other lenses on it (of the same mount)

A prosumer is a camera in between a PnS and SLR.

So for starter should I get a Prosumer or a DSLR?

So for starter should I get a Prosumer or a DSLR?
Since you have a prosumer already, might as well make full use of it, until you find that you have out grow your prosumer, then you may choose to upgrade to DSLR. But a lot of photographers do keep both consumer/prosumer camera and DSLR for flexibility.

i gotten my H5 4 months ago... to be frank it helps me alot on my journey to discover photography... it is handy... almost idiot proof... and comes with a whopping 3.0" LCD... this is particularly important for you to review photo on the spot and do necessary setting... learn to handle your H5.. but once you get the hang of it.. soon you will be like me.. HUNGRY FOR MORE... haha :)

eh....if i am not mistaken some of the "prosumers" are actually SLRs.....u dun need to hav to be able to change lenses on it....

as its name suggests...anything with the single lens reflex system is an slr....

cheers

eh....if i am not mistaken some of the "prosumers" are actually SLRs.....u dun need to hav to be able to change lenses on it....

as its name suggests...anything with the single lens reflex system is an slr....

cheers
Naw, I don't think that's what he means; the idea is that a DSLR is in an entirely different class from prosumers and P&S.

If you ask me, the main difference is indeed, inability to change lenses and also, the fact that sensor size in prosumer/P&S is smaller than DSLR - meaning usually inferior noise performance. For prosumer, the amount of manual control tends to be almost there for basic levels of control at least. So it is a good way of introduction into the world of photography if you want to eventually get in deeper. And after all, prosumer is a lot more convenient in the sense that you don't have to lug a few lenses around on photoshoots, and worry about cleaning and all that. But then again, any P&S with manual control (ie. maybe IXUS 800 IS) would also provide that. Without the long zoom, though.

But anyways, just stick with the prosumer for now, unless you're absolutely sure you really want to commit to DSLR lor! Hope I helped with the queries - do some reading up and you can find out more!

Naw, I don't think that's what he means; the idea is that a DSLR is in an entirely different class from prosumers and P&S.

If you ask me, the main difference is indeed, inability to change lenses and also, the fact that sensor size in prosumer/P&S is smaller than DSLR - meaning usually inferior noise performance. For prosumer, the amount of manual control tends to be almost there for basic levels of control at least. So it is a good way of introduction into the world of photography if you want to eventually get in deeper. And after all, prosumer is a lot more convenient in the sense that you don't have to lug a few lenses around on photoshoots, and worry about cleaning and all that. But then again, any P&S with manual control (ie. maybe IXUS 800 IS) would also provide that. Without the long zoom, though.

But anyways, just stick with the prosumer for now, unless you're absolutely sure you really want to commit to DSLR lor! Hope I helped with the queries - do some reading up and you can find out more!
wrong to say that as well... the Sony R1 has a sensor size just like other normal Nikon dSLR sensor(APS-C)

I agree with Witness, SLR (Single-Lens-reflex) simply mean this. Its wrong to generalize that camera that can change lens are SLR... personally i don consider a rangefinder as SLR.

Hi Guys,

Can someone explain what they mean by 35mm lens and how does it affect my photo shooting?

Thanks.

I dont know what you are trying to ask but here goes,

35mm is just the focal length of the lens. Longer focal lengths give narrower FOV's and less DOF while shorter lenses give a wider perspective and a much bigger DOF.

Status
Not open for further replies.