Differences in Hoya filter labels

Status
Not open for further replies.

cphile

Dec 20, 2003
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi all,

I'm quite puzzled over the variety of HMC variants available.

What does the (0) or (N) after the lens coating mean?
e.g. HMC(N) vs. HMC(0), UV-Guard(0), Super HMC(0) etc?

Have tried a web trawl & a visit to Hoya site but not much conclusive info.

I only know that UV-Guard is the cheapest type which is single-coated, then HMC is the multi-coated one which is slightly more expensive and Super-HMC is the most expensive one thats also multi-coated. (N) stands for neutral, (O) I don't know and I also don't know the difference between (N) and (O). UV-Guard gave some flaring with some of my lenses so I stuck with HMC. Super-HMC is too ex.

they alos have the "Pro 1 D" :)

many diff filters, the glass substrates made from different countries. :)

UV (0) means uv zero.. usually a UV filter with a slight slight pinkish hue

(N) is neutral if i'm not wrong, will not affect color of picture/white balance.

i use mostly super hmcs on my lenses, as they are quite well priced compared to other higher end brands, almost invisible as you look through them

UV(o) is optical glass, UV(n) is normal glass.

Hoya previously made all filters UV(o) but due to cost cutting measure, they introduced the usage of normal glass compared to optical glass.

to put everything into short talk, most amateur/intermediate grade Hoya UV filters are made of normal glass. eg. UV, HMC UV.
for professional grade filters, it is made of optical glass. eg. S-HMC UV(o), Pro-1 S-HMV UV(o).

Hi all,

I'm quite puzzled over the variety of HMC variants available.

What does the (0) or (N) after the lens coating mean?
e.g. HMC(N) vs. HMC(0), UV-Guard(0), Super HMC(0) etc?

Have tried a web trawl & a visit to Hoya site but not much conclusive info.

I've only seen UV(0). Never seen (N) or (0) after HMC. :dunno:

I never managed to fully understand this whole filter thing. I am currently using the HMC but just happen to be surfing their site, they have, of course the UV series, then I saw the Neutral series filter which to me seems to be just for lens protection. Then they also have the Pro1D Protector series and also the Pro1D UV...If most of us are getting filters just for protection purpose, shouldn't we just get the 'Protector' or 'Neutral' instead of UV guard? :think: Considering that the earlier 2 doesn't affect any colour balance (or does the UV really affect?)

Now, I'm confused just reading my post....

If in doubt.... just use the aged-old method - buy the MOST expensive one :)

they alos have the "Pro 1 D" :)

just bought the cpl for S$60+ in hk. is it considered expensive for 62mm?no experience on filter buying

S$60 is a good buy for cpl as average it cost anything from $95 and abv for a reputable brand here.

I never managed to fully understand this whole filter thing. I am currently using the HMC but just happen to be surfing their site, they have, of course the UV series, then I saw the Neutral series filter which to me seems to be just for lens protection. Then they also have the Pro1D Protector series and also the Pro1D UV...If most of us are getting filters just for protection purpose, shouldn't we just get the 'Protector' or 'Neutral' instead of UV guard? :think: Considering that the earlier 2 doesn't affect any colour balance (or does the UV really affect?)

Now, I'm confused just reading my post....

If you're shooting film, you should get the UV. But for digital, no need for UV cut anymore, so it's cheaper to get a Neutral or Protector.

Ahh...OK, cool, thanks, just saw a site saying that too. What really perplexed me was...considering that many claimed the redundancy of using UV filter on DSLR, why on earth does Hoya have a UV protector for the Pro1 D series which is designed for digital cameras.

Anyways, for now, I shall settle for protector filters.

Ahh...OK, cool, thanks, just saw a site saying that too. What really perplexed me was...considering that many claimed the redundancy of using UV filter on DSLR, why on earth does Hoya have a UV protector for the Pro1 D series which is designed for digital cameras.

For the same reason why you see magnetic bracelets or "molecularly modified water" advertised: Because enough people will happily part their money to make it profitable.

Anyways, for now, I shall settle for protector filters.

Some people do use the same piece of lens for digital as well as for film. It would be a hassle to change to a UV filter only when you want to shoot film. Might as well just get a UV because you can use it for both digital and film. Many of my DX lenses just use a protector like NC or Pro1D protector but the other full frame lenses are all L1Bc (Skylight) or L37c (UV).

Hi, i'm planning on getting the Hoya Pro filters for my lenses also.. from what i heard UV could damage your DSLR camera sensor? Is this true? How come Digital Camera no longer need to use UV coating filters? any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Hi, i'm planning on getting the Hoya Pro filters for my lenses also.. from what i heard UV could damage your DSLR camera sensor? Is this true? How come Digital Camera no longer need to use UV coating filters? any insight will be greatly appreciated.

UV will cause a haze effect (lowering of contrast) in certain film types. DSLR doesn't suffer from this problem. Don't see how UV can damage the sensor, it can almost certainly give you skin cancer and cataract if you get exposed long enough though..

http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/guides/uv_haze_skylight/uv_haze_skylight_filters1.html

Status
Not open for further replies.