Differences between Mac OS X and Win XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teegongkia

Aug 13, 2007
A place where no man can enter
Hello everybody

I was considering whether to get a Mac after being 10+ yrs of window XP user. Just wanna seek the opinions or guidance from all pro Mac users regarding the comparison between mac OS X and Win XP.

Which one is easier to use?
I heard that microsoft office when installed into mac become harder or less user-friendly to use, is it true?
Is there any other problems one will encounter if he/she switch to mac (mac OS) after being so many years of win XP/vista user?

Dun worry, if you know how to use Windows, pick up Mac is very very easy.

I find doing things and editing photos more convenient in Mac and multitasking is easier too.

Mac dun lag after period of usage. My Windows slow down after months of usage (boot up time and shutdown down getting slower)

Dun worry, if you know how to use Windows, pick up Mac is very very easy.

I find doing things and editing photos more convenient in Mac and multitasking is easier too.

Mac dun lag after period of usage. My Windows slow down after months of usage (boot up time and shutdown down getting slower)

Agree on this also. PC no matter how powerful would lag after opening and closing a lot of PS files. Mac is just so consistent. Colour is much more accurate on Mac even though not calibrated.

I won't recommend Mac if you're a gamer or need to install Windows-only software. Yeah, you can install Windows on a Mac but that's inconvenient and a waste of time, in my opinion.

Let me use an analogy.
Mac is like a taxi and Windows is like a bus+MRT transport. Sure you can get to where you want, but how much time do you need? Macs are for people who value time.

hmm 10yrs of XP user?

i thought XP launch somewhere in 03?

Mac needs a little toying around.. once you get used to it you'll love it

but some ppl still hates it.. well you gotto give it a try to know if u like it or not! :D

i know i love it

I find that it's a bit easier to get things done. Mac OS X doesn't get in your way with some Wizard just when you're trying to get something done quickly.

As far as multi-tasking goes, it's more consistent on a Mac because the front-most application isn't given priority over the applications in the background. This also causes some concern for people switching from Windows as they wonder why the front-most application isn't quite as quick to respond as they thought it would be. The more RAM, the better the experience.

MS Office is generally the same on both platforms but Microsoft doesn't want to invite switchers so Office doesn't always render the same between Mac OS X and Windows. Speaking of Microsoft applications, Microsoft Messenger (for Mac only) is equivalent to version 6 of MSN Messenger--no audio, no video--and Windows Media Player is not only crippled but a dead product. You can play unprotected WMP 9 media through the Microsoft-sponsored Flip4Mac QuickTime plug-in.

Since June, I've had a WinXP home machine and have been using it rather extensively. Someone had sent me some photos to review while my Apple PowerBook was in repair and I was horrified at how bad the photos were through the default viewer. I loaded an older version of Photoshop I had for Windows and things looked better but there seems to be a huge difference in the way things are presented, besides the default gamma setting.

thanks for all replies....

i heard that basically we dun need to install anti virus program for MAC since most viruses are programmed to attack win XP/vista. Is it true? Are there virus that attacks MAC OS?

hmm 10yrs of XP user?

i thought XP launch somewhere in 03?

Mac needs a little toying around.. once you get used to it you'll love it

but some ppl still hates it.. well you gotto give it a try to know if u like it or not! :D

i know i love it

hahaha i tio suan.....

ok i change "10 yrs of Window user"......

hi TS,

i too was a windows user of many years...chnage to a imac last yr and loving every moment of it. was won over basically by iphoto' iLife 06' when i walkin to epicentre with my CO lol.
CO also agreed to change and i bought it on the spot.;p;p

now the leopard is lurking nearby .....

thanks for all replies....

i heard that basically we dun need to install anti virus program for MAC since most viruses are programmed to attack win XP/vista. Is it true? Are there virus that attacks MAC OS?

There aren't any viruses for Mac OS X but there have been a few exploits. Security fixes have taken care of most of those and the remainder have to be executed by someone physically using the Mac.

If you use MS Office for Mac, there are several macro viruses written using Visual BASIC for Applications. These won't even run on the coming MS Office 2008, since it uses AppleScript instead of VBA.

The only time you actually need anti-virus software is when you receive files from Windows users that you might send to another Windows user.

1. It just works.
2. You can make amazing stuff.
3. Everything-ready.
4. 114,000 viruses? Not on a Mac.
5. Still the most advanced OS.
6. The latest Intel chips.
7. No hunting for drivers.
8. Design that turns heads.
9. Instant video chats.
10. More fun with photos.
11. Hollywood-style movies.
12. One-click websites.