difference or perfection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Igonorance isn't always neccessary bliss. Maybe only bliss to those who don't care (not neccessary in the bad sense) about how people think about their photos.

that is true

in the sandman series (i suppose only those who have read it) - i think in a particular spinoff graphic novel, dream, in a competition with desire made someone believe wholly in his mind and his mind alone that he was the king of london.

he became an attraction, and he died the happiest man on earth, celebrated by all his "loyal subjects". he was really happy. but that was ultimate ignorance. there can never be ultimate ignorance in reality.

But I think what you fail to see in my viewpoint, and others who have mentioned it in other threads, is the basis and spirit in which the comments were made.

If the shot is taken by a newcomer to a DSLR system, wouldn't it make more sense and be more helpful to frame the comments in helping him to understand more about his DSLR system? As opposed to an "artistic-based" commentary where even the tilting horizon is dragged out through the mud? Perhaps it might be more practical in asking if the person has an issue in holding a DSLR causing the tilt, and what suggestions can be done to help him with it.

Or are we so "experienced" now, that we forgot what it was like to hold a 1kg DSLR in the hands for the first time, and trying to take a portrait shot without a vertical grip? Or the problems in understanding the relationship between the various settings and switches on a DSLR?

Would it be all that difficult, for once, to truly help a person in the forum, by posting comments that will help him practically? Let's take a simple question..when was the last time you composed and sent a 2-part PM to another CSer, detailing the steps in using the black card method to help him take firework shots? Or are you only going to only sit there and comment on his firework shots being "artistically" overexposed?

which path do you think i take, usually?

plain critique or critique with suggestion?

therein lies my answer to you.

you equate morality with art?

it is like calling an ant a cockroach.

with no artistic high ground, what is art? everything is art, from a 3 year old's scrawling of nonsense on the wall, to a well-executed photograph, to anything. literally anything. my toenail shavings lying in the dustbin randomly can also be called art.

there will always be an artistic high ground, so do not insult art or its high ground by equating morality with art.

So who builds the artistic high ground? You? Me? The dead artist?

There have been blank pieces of paper with a straight line draw through them being called art. The only difference between that and a 3 year old's straight line drawing is something called "publicity". That is my opinion of an artistic high ground...publicity...that's all.

But, please, don't let me be accused of gagging you from having your opinion on it in this forum. As you said, "we just have different standards". So I do apologise for mine being way below your high ground standard.

So who builds the artistic high ground? You? Me? The dead artist?

There have been blank pieces of paper with a straight line draw through them being called art. The only difference between that and a 3 year old's straight line drawing is something called "publicity". That is my opinion of an artistic high ground...publicity...that's all.

the popular opinion builds the artistic high ground, that's reality.

welcome to reality. i don't like it all the time either, but it's all there is.

Igonorance isn't always neccessary bliss. Maybe only bliss to those who don't care (not neccessary in the bad sense) about how people think about their photos.

Perhaps "Ignorance is Bliss" might be the long-sought after secret to having a happier life that everybody seeks. ;)

We sometimes became too aware of the flaws in life that living loses its idealistic magic. It's like a long-term atheist always having trouble ducking their heads under the water of spiritual awakening, because humans are too rational.

the popular opinion builds the artistic high ground, that's reality.

welcome to reality. i don't like it all the time either, but it's all there is.

Would it surprise you if I equate popular opinion with herd mentality? Reality or Fatalism (in the context of "acceptance is appropriate, rather than resistance")?

which path do you think i take, usually?

plain critique or critique with suggestion?

therein lies my answer to you.

Do you really want me to say it out?

"hope you do not take this negatively.

google is your best friend, otherwise you can read sulhan's photography notes in the newbies corner --> articles & guides here, there is stuff on aperture and focal length there.

you do know how to use your manual mode? if not, read your camera's manual, or experiment. i would not deny you the fun of self-exploration."
:bigeyes:

I hoped the TS managed to find out how to take a shot that is "front blurry and the background is clear."

Would it surprise you if I equate popular opinion with herd mentality? Reality or Fatalism (in the context of "acceptance is appropriate, rather than resistance")?

and you pride yourself as being the odd sheep?

have nothing to say then. :bsmilie:

Do you really want me to say it out?

I hoped the TS managed to find out how to take a shot that is "front blurry and the background is clear."

i hope you read on in that thread.

amazing, you write one pm to one newbie, and you think you have saved the world.

there is a lot of pms running around clubsnap that you know nothing of, firstly; and there are more ways than just pm to help newbies.

you embrace spoonfeeding? then we have nothing to talk about. there is always something to complain about; whether i give even shorter, even curter replies or take the effort to phrase it nicely, there will people who take offense. best part is, the newbie in that thread, i remember he thanked me. but you go on thinking you are his saviour, maybe did you write him a pm detailing him on how to do it? or did you just sit around in your comfy armchair, you and your desire to save the world, and make it a better place? :bsmilie:

i hope you enjoy spoonfeeding more people, with 160+ posts, you are definitely not feeding the hungry demand of clubsnap enough, unelss you happen to have a pm counter somewhere, in that case, drive yourself bananas.

this will be the last post on the matter. this is exactly what i am talking about earlier, where you misquoted me grossly out of context, in some random attempt to use another's words on him.

this is taking the moral high ground, and priding yourself as a messiah when all you did was a 2 part pm, and you are drumming on it now still. :thumbsup::thumbsup: you are the epitome of delusion, this is hilarious to me.

good day!

Last edited:
i hope you read on in that thread.

amazing, you write one pm to one newbie, and you think you have saved the world.

there is a lot of pms running around clubsnap that you know nothing of, firstly; and there are more ways than just pm to help newbies.

you embrace spoonfeeding? then we have nothing to talk about. there is always something to complain about; whether i give even shorter, even curter replies or take the effort to phrase it nicely, there will people who take offense. best part is, the newbie in that thread, i remember he thanked me. but you go on thinking you are his saviour, maybe did you write him a pm detailing him on how to do it? or did you just sit around in your comfy armchair, you and your desire to save the world, and make it a better place? :bsmilie:

i hope you enjoy spoonfeeding more people, with 160+ posts, you are definitely not feeding the hungry demand of clubsnap enough, unelss you happen to have a pm counter somewhere, in that case, drive yourself bananas.

this will be the last post on the matter. this is exactly what i am talking about earlier, where you misquoted me grossly out of context, in some random attempt to use another's words on him.

this is taking the moral high ground, and priding yourself as a messiah when all you did was a 2 part pm, and you are drumming on it now still. :thumbsup::thumbsup: you are the epitome of delusion, this is hilarious to me.

good day!

and what about the # of times u exhorted to be smarter than all of us? should i quote your grasp of american politics or your super african highway as one of your shinning examples?:rolleyes:

and what about the # of times u exhorted to be smarter than all of us? should i quote your grasp of american politics or your super african highway as one of your shinning examples?:rolleyes:

if you can find one single example where i profess to be smarter than anybody here

rather than 8000 trolls and warlocks insinuating that i have that attitude because of blunt words,

i will quit kopitiam for good. you should read more about the super african highway, it was stated in a response to a particular person who took it upon himself to claim that shanghai was economically superior because "it had a super highway that amazed him".

if he had provided any other evidence, or collective evidence i would not have resorted to such sarcasm. it is also amazing how you have been beating these dead horses. i thought by now they would have become glue, the way you mention them. talk about double standards when it comes to beating dead horses. :bsmilie: you are allowed to beat dead horses, but no one else can.

lastly, let me point out that this has nothing to do with the conversation between me and clipper. i am noting this as evidence that you have a personal grudge. only one of the many many occasions where you just barge in uninvited into a 2-way conversation and add in your 0 cents worth. it is fine if you stay on topic, but you drag in the most out-of-point things. cheers.

Last edited:
Let me make a feeble attempt to pull everyone back on track to my origial intention for this thread.

Jing, need to borrow your 2 posts.

being different is overrated.

no, being different is just overrated.I never said being common is great either haha

Photography is an art. Art, we cherish creativity. Being creative means to be difference, to do something others have not, to create something others did not think of ....

That said, what is more important, to be different, being creative, or striking perfection, to make an image that expresses everything the artist wants.

I don't have a definative answer to which one I prefer. I have a preference. What say you.

if you can find one single example where i profess to be smarter than anybody here

rather than 8000 trolls and warlocks insinuating that i have that attitude because of blunt words,

i will quit kopitiam for good. you should read more about the super african highway, it was stated in a response to a particular person who took it upon himself to claim that shanghai was economically superior because "it had a super highway that amazed him".

if he had provided any other evidence, or collective evidence i would not have resorted to such sarcasm. it is also amazing how you have been beating these dead horses. i thought by now they would have become glue, the way you mention them. talk about double standards when it comes to beating dead horses. :bsmilie: you are allowed to beat dead horses, but no one else can.

lastly, let me point out that this has nothing to do with the conversation between me and clipper. i am noting this as evidence that you have a personal grudge. only one of the many many occasions where you just barge in uninvited into a 2-way conversation and add in your 0 cents worth. it is fine if you stay on topic, but you drag in the most out-of-point things. cheers.

sorry hor no dice since u yourself have done this many times with other members and their other threads. the lesson for you: u wanna start something with people here do it in private so you will not be constantly embarrassed here. and since when was this a private 2 way convo? its in the middle of a VERY public forum! by all means quit kopitiam. you've said it so many times its lost all meaning. Here's a reminder if you need one:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4650758&postcount=147
and here's one of someone calling you on your assumptions
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=429108&page=3

Let me make a feeble attempt to pull everyone back on track to my origial intention for this thread.

Photography is an art. Art, we cherish creativity. Being creative means to be difference, to do something others have not, to create something others did not think of ....

That said, what is more important, to be different, being creative, or striking perfection, to make an image that expresses everything the artist wants.

I don't have a definative answer to which one I prefer. I have a preference. What say you.

i am going to ignore trolls who have nothing better to do than to indulge in their personal grudges here. it is like a passing train, like lady ice said when we had some fun and laughter with her last night. :) she is a mature lady and i should learn from her. for someone who makes a lot of noise about how threads are being hijacked, look at his behaviour.

of course, in art there must be preferences!

without preferences, what use is art?

a happy new year to one and all

let us put 2008 behind and start afresh on a clean slate
so, if you 2 (and others) refuse to either play together or ignore each other

i will have to take measures to diffuse the short fuses.

Have a nice day! :)

a happy new year to one and all

let us put 2008 behind and start afresh on a clean slate
so, if you 2 (and others) refuse to either play together or ignore each other

i will have to take measures to diffuse the short fuses.

Have a nice day! :)

hokay then i shall go and draw this back to the original ts: I find it ironic u'd want to start a discussion about this matter considering the times when u've gone and slammed someone who's made an effort to try something new and different as an attempt at being gimmicky.

thank you

sometimes it is best to "agree to disagree"
after all everyone has their own opinion and everyone is different.

group hug everyone ;)

thank you

group hug everyone ;)

i'd rather go have lunch! lol which is what i'm gonna do! :bsmilie:

thank you

group hug everyone ;)

hey hey, no group hug in my thread :)

anyway and anyhow ..

Happy New Year!!!

the problem here is that when people talk about being "different" they think they have to make things very visibly different

It's hard to discuss such topics because there's no exact definition of such a broad word.
being "Different" suggests that there is something/someone else to compare to
set out to create something meaningful that relies as little as possible on other people's influences.
if you shut out the world and what the world is doing then there's no need to be "different" because there is no need to compare to anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.