difference or perfection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadpoet

Oct 18, 2004
" ... This I must admit is an original ... "

I quoted the above statement from another thread/post.

This got me to start pondering, and my conclusion is, there is really not much that can be claimed as original in photography, and definately not much that can be claimed as original on Club Snap.

This is not a slam on Club Snap, but that is just life/fact/reality.

However, I got a question for everyone, shooting something different and executing it badly or shooting something that had been done before but to perfection, which one will you prefer?

Just ranting on a very tired boring lethargic morning.

technically speaking it depends on the picture itself. photography as an art is always very subjective.

"the eye of the beholder"

:)

However, I got a question for everyone, shooting something different and executing it badly or shooting something that had been done before but to perfection, which one will you prefer?

Just ranting on a very tired boring lethargic morning.

i prefer shooting something different and executing it well. :)

when that cannot be done, shooting something that had been done before is fine with me.

there is no use for bad execution. if i don't know how to execute something, better to read up and learn how to, or try, and not post up pictures.

i must first know what i dont know how to execute properly so i can better do it next time. i got to admit i still got to draw inspirations elsewhere sometimes and reverse others' photos to learn, trying to attempt at creating one myself only tells me how much more i need to know and how sucky i am.

perhaps my take is shooting something taken before but doing it differently. does that count?

There is no one way to do this right, every which way is fine.

However, I totally agree with nightmare, poor execution is no excuse.

being different is overrated.

It depends on how you reward yourself with a stress relief program or activity.

Know your motives - why we do what we do.
This process helps us go deeper into our reasoning,
habits and unconscious beliefs.

Continue with this process to reach the true source of your
motivation.

-----------------------------------------------------
Men are more accountable for their motives,
than for anything else..."
- Archibald Alexander

:heart::)

There is no one way to do this right, every which way is fine.

However, I totally agree with nightmare, poor execution is no excuse.

how about real greenhorn newbies? if they post, will they get slammed? i remember when i first started off, i liked some flower photo so much i posted to get critique and got slammed.

the difference is so vast that i thought that picture was SOOOO nice but its a plain boring picture to everyone on CS already. from nightmare's last sentence, to me i will still post and get slammed, maybe choked slammed but that pain can wake me up especially if i know that i learnt something and if it can speed up the learning process somewhat.

back to constructive criticism. :bsmilie:

the difference is so vast that i thought that picture was SOOOO nice but its a plain boring picture to everyone on CS already. from nightmare's last sentence, to me i will still post and get slammed, maybe choked slammed but that pain can wake me up especially if i know that i learnt something and if it can speed up the learning process somewhat.

back to constructive criticism. :bsmilie:

i had my fair share of getting slammed :devil:

should do a search for my old old old threads :sweatsm:

I remembered a post by a CSer in P&P where we said "beauty of imperfection". I guess that many people when they post pics, they often have an idea in mind that a picture need not be 100% perfect. There can be flaws. The question is what type of flaws. Some of which can be overlooked, but some cannot when it sticks out like a sore thumb.

To put in context. A man made diamond and a natural diamond. If placed both side by side in the form of jewelry, there is no difference between the two. Yet the man made diamond is used mainly for industrial purposes like drilling. If we look at a natural diamond, the diamond has flaws due to the natural formation. Yet people are willing to pay astronomical prices despite the flaws that exist. Is there a difference in looks between the two? In reality no. But yet people are willing to pay for a natural.

In this case, while I definitely prefer to be perfect, I guess there are certain flaws that we can or have to live with. If something is imperfect to a point where everyone says so, then it is back to the drawing board. One person saying it can be dismissed, two saying the same thing must be considered but three in chorus, then better think again and restart.

Since two cents are cliched...this is my twenty dollars worth.:D

I remembered a post by a CSer in P&P where we said "beauty of imperfection". I guess that many people when they post pics, they often have an idea in mind that a picture need not be 100% perfect. There can be flaws. The question is what type of flaws. Some of which can be overlooked, but some cannot when it sticks out like a sore thumb.

To put in context. A man made diamond and a natural diamond. If placed both side by side in the form of jewelry, there is no difference between the two. Yet the man made diamond is used mainly for industrial purposes like drilling. If we look at a natural diamond, the diamond has flaws due to the natural formation. Yet people are willing to pay astronomical prices despite the flaws that exist. Is there a difference in looks between the two? In reality no. But yet people are willing to pay for a natural.

In this case, while I definitely prefer to be perfect, I guess there are certain flaws that we can or have to live with. If something is imperfect to a point where everyone says so, then it is back to the drawing board. One person saying it can be dismissed, two saying the same thing must be considered but three in chorus, then better think again and restart.

Since two cents are cliched...this is my twenty dollars worth.:D

no matter what, there will be persons supporting both sides of the photo, don't worry you wont find everyone disagreeing on your flaws :bsmilie::bsmilie:

i think your 20 dollars has some spare change helping me on the heart photo:thumbsup:;p

no matter what, there will be persons supporting both sides of the photo, don't worry you wont find everyone disagreeing on your flaws :bsmilie::bsmilie:

i think your 20 dollars has some spare change helping me on the heart photo:thumbsup:;p

No problem dude...anytime. ;)

of course there is imperfection, i don't mean to offend, just being blunt here

but there is no perfect photo.

there is always so much to improve, and the more you think about it the less any photo becomes. :)

of course there is imperfection, i don't mean to offend, just being blunt here

but there is no perfect photo.

there is always so much to improve, and the more you think about it the less any photo becomes. :)

No worries. :) None taken. ;)

Just that I remembered this:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452109&highlight=jermic.

Seeing that DP has posted this thread, thought it might be something to contemplate. ;)

yes, like i always say, comments are always good for you if you have an open heart and mind and you believe the person commenting has good intentions.

what the person said in that thread is true, deadpoet is harsh, but he always seeks improvement. maybe he doesn't exactly care for the photographer in question as a person, but i think he cares about the pictures, about how the women are portrayed, and it shows.

views can differ, but a good picture remains a good picture, and a bad picture remains a bad one. just because someone has a negative comment about your picture doesn't mean it is the end of the world. if i wanted to, i could probably find a negative comment about any famous photo made in history if i wanted to nitpick. it's just how much the good outweighs the bad, and allows us to overlook the bad.

yes, like i always say, comments are always good for you if you have an open heart and mind and you believe the person commenting has good intentions.

what the person said in that thread is true, deadpoet is harsh, but he always seeks improvement. maybe he doesn't exactly care for the photographer in question as a person, but i think he cares about the pictures, about how the women are portrayed, and it shows.

views can differ, but a good picture remains a good picture, and a bad picture remains a bad one. just because someone has a negative comment about your picture doesn't mean it is the end of the world. if i wanted to, i could probably find a negative comment about any famous photo made in history if i wanted to nitpick. it's just how much the good outweighs the bad, and allows us to overlook the bad.

agreed on that. guess we all need to have humility if any improvements are to be desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.