Difference in picture quality between an advanced P&S vs m4/3 ...

sys12345

Jul 4, 2009
I'm aware of the significant difference in sensor size between these 2 but i didnt expect the difference (in terms of detail, noise, etc.) to be so huge. :bigeyes: I came across a sample pic taken with a Canon S95 at ISO80, LX5 at ISO80, against the same scene taken with an Olympus EPL1 at ISO800. Have a look here:

LX5: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/LX5/FULLRES/LX5hSLI00080.HTM

S95: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/PS95/FULLRES/PS95hSLI0080.HTM

EPL1: http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EPL1/FULLRES/EPL1hSLI0800NR2D.HTM

:bigeyes:

Last edited:
Yes, now take the m4/3 and compare to a DSLR like the A900 and you'll see a huge jump too. The impact of sensor size on image quality is well understood.

I printed three out using my Selphy CP780. No Difference!!!

I saved all three and used Irfannview to look at the photo. No Difference!!!

What the difference??? Are you printing A0 or cropping the picture drastically?

Last edited:
Difference might not be seen in 4R. But if 100% crops of the respective picture is placed side-by-side, the different is obvious.
Though I am not a pixel-peeping person, the difference in detail and noise might be significant when I do post-processing, which involve cropping, increase saturation and sharpness.
Do also note that EPL1 is already at ISO 800 and its noise level is still better than LX5 & s95.

Last edited:
It's also very obvious when you print bigger, or use a printer that's better than the rather so-so Selphy CP780

a tiny sensor vs a 4/3 sensor will have a big difference

just like a 4/3 sensor vs full frame will have the similar difference. and same as full frame vs medium format

a tiny sensor vs a 4/3 sensor will have a big difference

just like a 4/3 sensor vs full frame will have the similar difference. and same as full frame vs medium format

the term full frame is just a descriptive for a particular format. u can have full frame for the 35mm format, for the 645 format etc ..

It's also very obvious when you print bigger, or use a printer that's better than the rather so-so Selphy CP780

It will not make a huge difference even when you print at triple d or ML (I tried it before).

Actually, I always wonder why so many of us like to use DSLR (including me). It is so buggy, and I see all of my friends storing their picture to view in their computer or printing out in 4R format (Can I say that many of us usually print in 4R format?).

In contrast, I have this friend who owes a compact camera IXUS 850. She takes it everywhere in her handbag and captures lot of memories. For me who owns a DSLR, I seldom take it out because of its size and when there is golden opportunity, I kick myself for not having a compact. Also, when taking group photo, my 50mm f1.4 lens come out to be useless.

Of course, there are many moments which can only be captured by DSLR (for example low light situtation/At night). But how many times will we take at night?

You will experience the big difference when you go shooting at night.

You will experience the big difference when you go shooting at night.

Yes, I have stated in my previous post that you will experience a big difference when shooting at night.

But how many times one will shoot at night? And for DSLR, you will usually need a tripod to shoot at night. How many times will you bring a tripod and a DSLR along if it is just a simple event like walking along Singapore river after dinner or a BBQ session?

People are lazy nowadays; They don't carry tripod to shoot night scene, just use HIgh ISO to shoot with their Dslr, but the noise also increase as well. I have seen wedding photographers shooting without a tripod at night time(some use monopod). :sweat:

With the high resolutions of today's compacts, printing up to 8R or larger shouldn't be a problem at all. Just that you neet to use the lowest ISO to get the best quality.

And what you are seeing at 100% in the screen rarely looks good, becos the resolution of the screen is only 72 ppi.

I have seen how a 6MP Nikon D70 can produce impressive A2 size photo print years ago; Now, with the 12 MP compacts, I don't see why the results can be less impressive. Of course, don't compare to a 12 MP Dslr; They are different.

....... dont even talk about full-frame 35mm sensors or Hassy-type sensors.....

It will not make a huge difference even when you print at triple d or ML (I tried it before).

Actually, I always wonder why so many of us like to use DSLR (including me). It is so buggy, and I see all of my friends storing their picture to view in their computer or printing out in 4R format (Can I say that many of us usually print in 4R format?).

In contrast, I have this friend who owes a compact camera IXUS 850. She takes it everywhere in her handbag and captures lot of memories. For me who owns a DSLR, I seldom take it out because of its size and when there is golden opportunity, I kick myself for not having a compact. Also, when taking group photo, my 50mm f1.4 lens come out to be useless.

Of course, there are many moments which can only be captured by DSLR (for example low light situtation/At night). But how many times will we take at night?

Thats why i bring my canon ixus out often for the friend gathering or web / FB picture shoot, and the slr for the other occassions. the later has many other advantages over a pns la but i am sure everyone knows ..

After every of my holiday trip, i print on larger books such as 11x17inches format, and that is where I appreciate better IQ.

ryan

Wouldn't it be easier to bring a small m43 like the epl1 around? It is very small and portable too, and the picture quality is very good. But it is very poisonous.

Last edited:
sorry to be OT

but from the images above
the s95 is :thumbsup::thumbsup: as compared to the LX5

wat abt panasonic gf1 compared to eos 550d?

That's m4/3 vs. DSLR. Please stick to the topic and don't hijack other people's threads.

People are lazy nowadays; They don't carry tripod to shoot night scene, just use HIgh ISO to shoot with their Dslr, but the noise also increase as well. I have seen wedding photographers shooting without a tripod at night time(some use monopod). :sweat:
High ISO gives you higher shutter speed. This means it is less likely for your photo to be screwed when someone moves. Tripod cannot do that, you can shoot at 1/2s shutter speed and you can't freeze people's motion, but higher shutter speed (or flash) can. Even in group shots, people can move, and high shutter speeds from high ISO and/or faster lens definitely helps

Also, if their camera has excellent high ISO capabilities, I don't see why not. Their ISO 3200 can be as good as a compact's ISO 80, or even better. So I don't see the trouble of pumping up the ISO.

I'd still go m4/3 over compact, I think it's small enough already. Wait a few more years, the m4/3 lenses become smaller (they're still pretty large nowadays and look awkward on the small bodies), and the m4/3 can replace a compact.

I'd still go m4/3 over compact, I think it's small enough already. Wait a few more years, the m4/3 lenses become smaller (they're still pretty large nowadays and look awkward on the small bodies), and the m4/3 can replace a compact.

m4/3 lenses cannot become smaller since the sensor is not becoming smaller. It's physics.

m4/3 lenses cannot become smaller since the sensor is not becoming smaller. It's physics.

Then we can hope that more pancake lenses are produced :)

Then we can hope that more pancake lenses are produced :)

Yes, but they won't get any smaller. ;)

if they could, they already would...